• When are your most productive hunts?

• Total voters

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    We all have busy lives and schedules and many of us can't dedicate from sun up to sun down to sit in a stand.

When do you prefer, or have the most success?

selinoid44

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    northern Indiana
    I had to choose, so I chose evening. I love sitting in the fence row watching the deer come to the corn field to feed. I have to say I like morning too. If you have the time do both. If not do what you have to do to make it happen. Full moon I might have chosen midday. I have probably killed more deer in the evening. Bow hunting I'd be in the woods not in the fence row. I dedicate two weeks of my vacation every year to deer hunting.

Last edited:

dbd870

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    I'd say I've had about equal success morning or evening. I prefer morning as I'm not dressing it in the dark.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    I would prefer morning, but its a lot easier to get out late afternoon. I think people must be klling all the deer I would see during the day though cause its been weeks since I've even seen a deer.

ISP 5353

Master
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 21, 2009
    Putnam County
    I looked back in my journal for the answer to this and the answer is... All of the above. During early archery, I have had better luck, over the years, in the late afternoon or evening. Late archery has been better in the morning. Gun season and the RUT seems to be evenly spread throughout the day. It may have something to do with weather patterns or the crop rotations of a given year. Sorry I could not narrow it down.

slipnotz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 31, 2010
    At our location, we have taken more deer in the evening due to their feeding habits. As said before, it is hard to trail and field dress in the dark.

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    Over the years I have seen just a little more in the evening. However, that changes if you count the dozens that walk right under me before legal shooting light then never see again all day...

ylwfever69

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    Greenwood
    I picked morning even though I am not a morning person. I have had better luck hunting in the morning in Indiana, but when I hunt in Kentucky I don't think it matters there are deer everywhere down there.

rao

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    I have had more success in the evenings than I have in the mornings. However, during the peak of the rutt, I have had great success between 10am - 2pm. The bucks roam all day so I usually sit most of the day during that time only.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    I'm not very successful at dropping deer, but I can say I have seen more between 1030-noon that any other timeframe.

Come to think of it, the most successful hunter I know, never even enters the woods until after he's eaten lunch, and then he's there at most an hour before he's back with a dead deer.

Top Bottom