When do you start worrying about round count?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wood&Steel

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2020
    Lafayette
    Hi all, I've been looking for something along the lines of a CZ 75 compact for a couple of months now, and haven't had much luck finding anything for a decent price. I found someone local that has a Tristar c100 that they're wanting $300 for, but the current owner is estimating the round count to be upwards of 2000. Should I be worried about reliability when it comes to a round count that high with a... lets say off brand like Tristar?

johny5

not a shill account
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 3, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Hi all, I've been looking for something along the lines of a CZ 75 compact for a couple of months now, and haven't had much luck finding anything for a decent price. I found someone local that has a Tristar c100 that they're wanting $300 for, but the current owner is estimating the round count to be upwards of 2000. Should I be worried about reliability when it comes to a round count that high with a... lets say off brand like Tristar?

I am interested in hearing the responses from others. I would have no concerns at this round-level with a CZ, Beretta, Springfield, Sig, Ruger, etc. But, I do would be a bit more reticent with a name I did not know as well.

KMaC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 4, 2016
    Indianapolis
    TriStar is the importer, Canik manufactures the TriStar line of CZ copies.
    2000 rounds is not a problem for this line. I have a T-120 with 4,600 rounds, a T-120 with 17,000 and a C-100 with 2,600.
    The only concern I would have is sourcing a recoil spring for the C-100. Canik has stopped manufacturing the line although Tristar continues to import them.
    The C model uses a unique spring. CZ & CGW springs will not work since TriStars use a steel full length guide rod (larger diameter than the plastic CZ). Tristar is the only place I know that has the correct spring. You will probably be able to get a few from Tristar for the next few years.
    Or replacing the steel rod with a CZ guide rod and spring would probably work but I haven't tried it.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove

I would think that at 2000 rounds, it is barely getting broken in.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    For a quality handgun I can get parts for, round count is mostly irrelevant. Some of these yahoos who feel a handgun is worth much less if it has more than a hundred rounds clearly have never shot much. 2000 rounds is about the point a pistol is getting smooth, and at the most about halfway to needing a spring replacement.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    From a guy who regularly shoots hand guns over 100 years old, it's not a question I worry about.

kaveman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 13, 2014
    La Porte
    If I could trade all my nib guns for identical models with 2k rounds on them I'd do it in a heartbeat. I don't trust a gun until it has that much down the pipe and I can't afford to shoot them all that much. That's why I buy mostly used or ex-LEO. Once a gun is well used it only needs to show me 100 trouble-free for me to trust it.

Wood&Steel

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2020
    Lafayette
    Thanks for all of the responses! It's definitely good to know, but unfortunately I snoozed on this one. Guns sure are selling fast on Armslist... Oh well, the hunt continues.

zachcz

CZ is just better.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Jul 2, 2019
    Shelbyville
    That’s a great price. The tristar/caniks are great Cz clones. I aways keep an eye out but haven’t had much luck finding any used floating around lately. Especially for 3

Top Bottom