• ...and so much more!
  • jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Let's take the Ruger 10/22 rifle as an example.
    You buy it from Wally World new in box and begin to use it.
    After one year you have shoot say 104,000 rounds thru it.
    (2,000 rounds per week cause you are practicing for appleseed) ;)

So you continue down this pattern for say 5 years and have a total round count of 520,000 by that time down the barrel.

Now you decide to get a new heavier barrel and while you are at it change the trigger, the spring, etc. In essence you upgrade everything on the inside so that at the end he only thing that is still from the original gun is the wooden stock and the reciever.

Would you now consider this a "new" gun again since you have in essence down a complete "engine overhaul"?

---
    Now say the same example as above but instead of changing everything at the 5 year marker or 520,000 count you just change the barrel and spring? Would you consider that a "new" gun then?

Byw "new" gun I guess I mean reliablity/performance. Same concept as a car when you do an engine rebuild. You rebuild the engine of a car and keep the body and thus that car is good 2 go for another (100,000 miles).

-Jedi

---UPDATE---
    Thanks IndyGunWorks. The topic is NOT looking for "new" in terms of resale value. But looking at when woudl you consider a gun "good 2 go" after saying 1 million rounds fired thru it. What would you change out to say OK this gun is ready again for another million roounds. Just the barrel? All the springs? EVERYTHING minus the reciever?

That is the core of my question. "New" in terms of reliablity again in making the weapon a weapon.

Last edited:

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    I don't consider anything "new" unless it has never been "used". Used is used, whether it's just the stock or all of it.

Just as a car with all new mechanical parts on it, the odometer still has to keep the original miles on it.

With the gun, if you try to sell it you can state that all internals are "new with 0 rounds through it" but the stock and firearm is still used.

New is a term that goes by definition, not by opinion.

new   [noo, nyoo] Show IPA adjective, -er, -est, adverb, noun
    adjective
    of recent origin, production, purchase, etc.

:twocents:

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Just like YOU PEOPLE to try and get over on US PEOPLE.

:faint:

Oh Joe we could sell you one of these instead.
    unicorn.jpg

Actually the line of thinking for my OP is more at what point does a firearm need an "engine rebuilt"? When the barrel has had "xyz" rounds thru it? When the spring/trigger go bad or after "xyz" shoots? So thinking more rebuild vs "new to sell".

-Jedi

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    To me for the "engine overhaul" to be complete it would need new springs accross the board, new extractors, firing pins, barrel. the trigger would need to be pulled inspected cleaned to factory new lubed and reinstalled as well as any other piece on the gun.

simply swapping a barrel means nothing when you have several thousand rounds on a firing pin/extractor/ejector

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    The minute a weapon new is sold it becomes a used gun. It's kind of like a car in that regard.

I had a Glock 23 in the shop that an INGO member came in and purchased. I know the guy that had owned it before. The weapon was never fired, he had recieved it as pay for some work he did at another local gun shop. I sold the weapon for $419 or thereabouts. Even though the weapon had not been fired I priced it as a used weapon because it had been owned by someone previously. Otherwise it would get confusing and I would have felt "weird" putting a $500 plus price on it. The INGO member was happy and I am always happy seeing a weapon find a happy home.

whocares

Shooter
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Nov 9, 2010
    Clarksville, IN.
    only 1/2

Byw "new" gun I guess I mean reliablity/performance. Same concept as a car when you do an engine rebuild. You rebuild the engine of a car and keep the body and thus that car is good 2 go for another (100,000 miles).

-Jedi[/QUOTE]

HOW EASILY WE FORGET THE TRANSMISSION!

philo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2010
    Peoples Republic of Bloomington

-Jedi

HOW EASILY WE FORGET THE TRANSMISSION![/QUOTE]

The transmission takes the power generated in the engine and sends it where it needs to go. Sounds like the barrel to me:D

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    To me for the "engine overhaul" to be complete it would need new springs accross the board, new extractors, firing pins, barrel. the trigger would need to be pulled inspected cleaned to factory new lubed and reinstalled as well as any other piece on the gun.

simply swapping a barrel means nothing when you have several thousand rounds on a firing pin/extractor/ejector

HOW EASILY WE FORGET THE TRANSMISSION!

No need to yell. :D
    IndyGunworks said it best in terms of not forgetting the transmission.

-Jedi

octalman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2010
    Just state the facts about condition. If new/custom parts have been added and never fired it is reasonable to recoup most of the cost of the new items. No longer a simple question of new or used. Be forthright about actual use, parts replaced, ownership, etc. There will always be potential buyers looking for a giveaway price. Respectfully decline those offers. For your part don't expect to get get full retail either. New vs used debated is a waste of time under the conditions you described.

686 Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Huntington County
    If you are not the retailer and the gun has been sold to an individual, it is at the least, preowned. There is no bringing it back to "new". If you buy a product from a retailer that has been sold to someone else and that person has opened the package and returned the product, even though the product has not been used, that product is usually discounted, because it is no longer considered "new"

Last edited:

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    So if I rebuild the engine in my '99 civic and fix whatever needs replaced, does that mean I can trade it in and get close to what it would retail for new back in '99... NO! Works the same way with guns. Go try to trade it in and find out how much they'll give you for it. Maybe a hair over used since it has the upgrades, but not new.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I dont think the OP ever said consider it new resale value or trade in value.

in fact he specifies the he means "new in terms of reliablility/performance" not even a mention as to regaining NEW price.

Schwartzki

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I agree with what has been said, however because you replaced all of that you could charge more then another well used example. However in any sale I'm willing to pay more when the seller gives full disclosure.

Top Bottom