• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Steelman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 21, 2008
    Danville, IN
    The ATF considers the serialized receiver to be the actual firearm. The rest of the "gun" is just parts. It can never be new again because the age of the receiver is a constant.

slackerisme

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Just north of Ft. Wayne
    The minute a weapon new is sold it becomes a used gun. It's kind of like a car in that regard.

I had a Glock 23 in the shop that an INGO member came in and purchased. I know the guy that had owned it before. The weapon was never fired, he had recieved it as pay for some work he did at another local gun shop. I sold the weapon for $419 or thereabouts. Even though the weapon had not been fired I priced it as a used weapon because it had been owned by someone previously. Otherwise it would get confusing and I would have felt "weird" putting a $500 plus price on it. The INGO member was happy and I am always happy seeing a weapon find a happy home.

So your happy driving a "new"car off the lot with 45 miles on it, but the gun Joe Blow is selling is used because someone touched it? Yeah that makes all sorts of sense. :dunno:

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I dont think the OP ever said consider it new resale value or trade in value.

in fact he specifies the he means "new in terms of reliablility/performance" not even a mention as to regaining NEW price.

No where in the OP is he talking about trying to get top dollar out of the gun again, just asking at what point is the "rebuild" considered to be back to new condition.

again, the question is not pertaining to any sort of resale value.

Thanks IGW! I've update the OP to reflect this. I'm not looking for "new" in terms of resale value. & I should have used a different word. "New" in terms of workng/functioning gun. If you shoot a million rounds thru your AK/AR. What do you change to ensure you get another million rounds thru it?

-jedi

G_Stines

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    Central Indiana
    So your happy driving a "new"car off the lot with 45 miles on it, but the gun Joe Blow is selling is used because someone touched it? Yeah that makes all sorts of sense. :dunno:

No. If you go to a gunshop that happens to have a range, and you "test drive" the firearm to see if you like it, it's still new, and you will still pay the new price. But once you pay, and walk off the property with it, yup it's used, with or without firing a round through it.

PS. Buying a new car off the lot is one of the worst things you can do in my opinion. You lose about a 1/3rd of what you just paid as soon as it leaves the lot. Certified Used is a much better deal.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

No sir, I do not buy new cars. It wasn't Joe Blow, it was a friend. I sold a Glock that was never fired to an INGO member for $419 and I could not sell it at a new price because it was not "new". I allowed the guy who had traded it (the Glock) in a trade value of the dealer cost of a new Glock 23 (there were other guns involved). The INGO member got a Glock 23 for $45 less than he could get a LNIB from the classifieds here on INGO. Just so we are clear, I allowed the guy who traded in his Glock the value of my cost (on a new gun) as his trade value on his gun (bcause it was like new) and I was able to sell it at a good cost to an INGO member because there other weapons the gentleman traded and I was still able to make a small profit. How does that not make any sense? How is that not good for all parties involved? Long story short is that I think if a weapon is like new and unfired then I will allow my cost on that weapon new as the trade value towards whatever the person is wanting to trade for. If that makes me some kind of callous 1 percenter businessman then so be it.

I won't do the little smiley face with the shrugs but I will do the one of the little guy eating popcorn and the guy with the flag.:popcorn::patriot:

Last edited:
    Top Bottom