When "tap-rack-bang" isn't always a good idea - reloaders should read this!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    This weekend I took my wife's Colt 1911 9mm Defender to a private range to get some time with it. I was shooting some of my own reloads, known to be a light load. I had tailored that load to be strong enough to cycle my G19 reliably, but to also remain as economical as possible.

I had a few stove pipes, and wasn't too dissapointed, again knowing I was running a light load. The gun has run without issue with factory ammo, and really lilkes the carry load (Hornady Critical Defense) that my wife carries.

4 or 5 mags in I had a fail to cycle after the first round. I remember a "pop" so in my head I had not yet considered it a fail to actually fire a round. The fact I didn't hit the target was also not sounding an alarm, since I was shooting at a 75yd 12" gong to see how the gun peformed a longer range (had been hitting it the mag before every 3rd shot or so). The action was just out of battery, but there was no visible stove pipe or other problem indicating the cause of the problem. Thinking I might have had a light load that didn't quite cycle the action, I tapped the mag to make sure it was seated, racked the slide and ejected an empty casing (Should have been my first clue something was up). The next round in the mag picked up and did not fully chamber, leaving the action still slightly out of battery, so the "bang" part was not possible. I repeated the tap-rack-bang and ejected the live round. Next round picks up from the mag and and does the same thing.

So, I was a bit puzzled by that point, and decide after being un successful, I needed to investigate in more detail. This time I dropped the mag (keeping the gun pointed down range), then ejected the round that did not feed. It fell out through the mag well as expected. I locked the slide back, and looked in the chamber to confirm it was clear. There I could see very clearly the back end of a 115gr Montana gold bullet!!!

Apparently I had missed charging, or significantly under charged that round in my progressive for whatever reason. So the primer pop was enough to make me think I had an actual fire (although I don't recall anything odd on the recoil that would have gone with that, which would have been clue #2).

Had the bullet been able to go a bit further down the barrel, there is a very good chance I could have blown up my wife's carry gun, and hurt myself. I count myself lucky (think the Man upstairs was looking out for me) that the next 2 rounds got hung up when it hit the other bullet.

So, reloaders (especially relatively new ones like me), when you have a malfunction with your reloaded rounds, make sure you are confident the barrel is not obstructed by a squibb!!! I know I learned a lesson and will try to be more observant to the sounds and feels. Looking back on it, I'm sure that there was a difference in sound and recoil with the squibb (not sure if the sound would have been noticed with my earpro on), but at the time it didn't register, and the fact that I'd had a few other malfunctions desenstized me a bit.

This also reaffirmed to myself the reason my wife and I personally use factory ammo for our carry ammo. Not that reloads cannot be trusted or that factory ammo is always perfect, but I know that I've made just enough mistakes like this that I don't yet have full confidence in my loads. Out of the 5 or 6 thousand rounds I've loaded for myself, I probably know of 10 or so that I have made a mistake on I didn't catch during final inspection. So, that puts me at 99.8% "Right first time," but glad that .2% hasn't hurt me or another.

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    The only time I tap-rack is when running drills. My "target" shooting is much much different then situational shooting. Glad you are alright and are able to share your experience...without buying a new gun. :)

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Very glad to hear nobody was hurt and you did not blow up your wife's gun! Thanks for sharing and possibly saving someone else from similar situation. :yesway:

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    I have heard the argument from a freind of mine who recently got back from a front site trip. he is trying to learn tap-rack-roll, as there has been a case of tap-rack -bang leading to a police officer shooting a surrendering suspect. (he had a malfunction muscle memory took over and he shoot the suspect) I will pass this story along to him as more another point to ponder.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I have heard the argument from a freind of mine who recently got back from a front site trip. he is trying to learn tap-rack-roll, as there has been a case of tap-rack -bang leading to a police officer shooting a surrendering suspect. (he had a malfunction muscle memory took over and he shoot the suspect) I will pass this story along to him as more another point to ponder.

???

led4thehed2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Oct 16, 2011
    Indianapolis
    That's something I had never considered before. I've had a stovepipe or two, and a delayed shot from WWB once but never seen an actual bullet stuck in the barrel. Thanks for the info!

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan

I hear that argument in a lot of the classes I go to , but have never heard of a specific instance where that actually occurred.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Happened to me once, and not with my reloads. It was cheap Tula steel case 9mm. Shooting it through my PC9 I got and unusual sound and light recoil. My suspicious nature took over and I emptied everything, shined my light up the barrel and saw nothing but black. Bullet was stuck halfway down the barrel, and I had to take it home and drive it out. I trust my reloads more than Tula.

Great that you avoided damage to anyone and anything.

mjrducky

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Jun 16, 2009
    North Liberty, IN
    A buddy of mine was shooting GSSF last year and had a squib end up in his barrel. Luckily it prevented the next round from chambering and he was unable to fire. If it had not prevented the next round I'm sure under the clock he would have continued. He was able to have one of the Armorers get the bullet out and continue on.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Good discussion guys. Hopefully I haven't scared anyone out of reloading. It is still a very rewarding activity, and a great way to increase the amount of shooting you do, which in the end makes you better and safer.

I am going to add a few tenths of a grain of powder to this load to help it cycle in her 1911. That way I won't be fooled by other cycling issues.

The risk of a mistake is of course there, but cases like this are just little reminders to be very thorough in following your safe processes for reloading. If done right, reloading is no riskier (and maybe even less for some) than shooting factory ammo. Shoot enough and I'm sure you will find defective factory ammo. I've never had a factory squib (think most have a weight check to prevent), but I've had up-side down or missing primers, mutilated cases, and there are a number of reports of ammo that has been loaded "HOT" with either the wrong powder or the wrong charge.

As far as the tap-rack-bang...I try to make a habit of it whenever I'm shooting because I don't practice malfunctions nearly as often as a I should. I want to have at least the basic instinctual reaction to do this if I really need to in the worst case scneario that I'm using my weapon in a life and death situation. This experience won't change that, in that I'll still tap and rack, but I will be much more observant to make sure I don't have a squib (noise, felt recoil, not on target, etc.) before I click the bang switch.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Glad that you and the gun made it away safely. I'm extra mindful when I fire my reloads. The first couple of test batches I actualy loaded one round at a time.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Tap rack bang is a last ditch final act of desperation. It might work and it might make things much worse. Think about what you're doing. I have seen guys who had a round go off out of battery while their hand was over the port while in a hurry (primer struck by the ejector). Free trip to the Emergency room. I have seen people whack the back of a slide that failed to go all the way in battery only to have the gun fire and whack them back. Hard. Or fire a squib lodging the bullet in the barrel and then hurriedly jacking another round in and firing. Training for the real world is great but think about what might happen when you react too fast. Is Gun. Is dangerous.

spitfire51

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Did you recover the case from the squib load? I had one on my first batch of reloads, my main clue was that there was no bang, more of a fizz sound when I pulled the trigger. I cycled the slide manually and the brass came out completely blackened. That was the end of my shooting for the day. Just curious if you saw the same with the brass. Glad nobody was hurt.

John Galt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 18, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Glad that you're okay. A "friend of mine" ;) had this happen to him and he made a wise investment by purchasing the powder charge checker for his reloader. From what I hear, it hasn't happened since. Safe shooting!

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Good discussion guys. Hopefully I haven't scared anyone out of reloading. It is still a very rewarding activity, and a great way to increase the amount of shooting you do, which in the end makes you better and safer.
    I thought about reloading, and if I lived out in the country where I could step out my back door and shoot, then I might consider it. But from the research I did, it would take me years to recover my initial investment in equipment to make it economical. It looked to me (from my admittedly limited research) like I'd only be saving a penny or 2 per round even once I got past the break-even point. Does look like a fun hobby though, and if I only shot one caliber round it might make more sense to me as well.

To the OP, glad you weren't hurt, and a lesson was learned! :yesway:

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Tap= seat the mag
    Rack= pull the slide
    Roll= tilt the gun so the ejection port faces towards the ground so an fte or FTf falls to the ground.

This is was what they drilled into him at frontsite

Ok, if the chambered round failed to fire or extract, when you rack the slide the round will be ejected. Unless you baby the slide. If a case is stuck in the chamber it's going to take more than racking the slide.

Top Bottom