• ...and so much more!
  • 1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    Opening day of squirrel season is Saturday. Told him a few days ago if he wanted we could go to Grandpa's house Friday night and go hunting the next morning. Every day since he's been asking how many more sleeps until we go hunting. He seems excited about it.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    Successful hunt. The boy lasted a little over an hour. Got one just before we were going to head back in for breakfsst. The boy called it in playing around with a call I brought. He was super excited.
    Fried it up today for lunch. He loved it, and wanted more for dinner. My younger son, 3, also loved the meat. Got my wife to try a small bite.
    Glad I got him out.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    If he is interested, fuel the fire. I would/will tell my 8 yr old stories and watch hunting shows. Took him at 4 coon calling. From that day on I believe I created a monster.

He wants to hunt and trap year round, I'm constantly reminding him about seasons. I got him a 410. It has been used for squirrel and dove. He was hitting doves at age 6 with a single shot 410.

He has 3 deer under his belt and got his first turkey this spring. Not with the 410 I must add.

Wants to moose hunt and bear hunt for graduation. He is ate up with hunting.

I created a monster as mentioned earlier, but in turn I've created a lifelong hunting buddy.

One of the guys I grew up with trapped every year from JH through going to a State College for 4 years. Trapping paid for all of his basic needs plus he paid cash for his college.
    He added crabbing when it was in season. His son and my youngest are the same age, Joe taught my two and his son how to trap if needed to eat or make a living if it was needed. All three boys crabbed and sold to the two local crab houses on the river through HS. In the spring #1 crabs will bring close to 200 bucks cash a bushel wholesale.

A lot of money is out there for the ones that are willing to get up early and work hard.....
    As kids they are just a sponge with what interests them. Have fun.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    Just commenting on this part:
    I had never dressed a deer either, and was most worried about that on my first solo hunt. Watch some youtube videos and go for it. It was really not all that difficult. Don't get me wrong, it was physically hard for me but not difficult to figure out how to do it. The processor I used told me I did better than most, and was impressed for my first attempt.

Maybe start you an your son doing YouTube videos and then to Patreon and start the money coming in...

BStarkey 46947

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012
    As many have mentioned, depends on the interest and maturity of the child. My 20 yr old wants nothing to do with it. My 17 yr old would hunt and fish all day long (ala Hanks Williams Jr). I started them both on an H&R 44 Mag bull barrel youth model. Both went to Hunter's Education. Oldest has long sense folded the game. Youngest hunts with a 243 now and he is enthusiastic. He is the only reason I invested in hunting property. Plus he gets to ride the 4-wheeler.

My youngest has been going with me since he was 6-7 years old. Started hunting with the 44 Mag when he was able to shoot 100 yd and put 3 in a paper plate. He's bigger than me now, so he is good help in the field. He has bagged a couple bucks and a couple does.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    Successful hunt. The boy lasted a little over an hour. Got one just before we were going to head back in for breakfsst. The boy called it in playing around with a call I brought. He was super excited.
    Fried it up today for lunch. He loved it, and wanted more for dinner. My younger son, 3, also loved the meat. Got my wife to try a small bite.
    Glad I got him out.
    Good thread and follow up OP. Glad it all went well. Sounds like you'll be bringing him more and more.

Daughter #2 (4yr) got her first trip out Saturday. As many have stated, depends on the kid. Mine have watched me handle firearms and hunt/fish since they could walk. Never hurts to grill them with safety stuff either. They sponge it up, and it will only serve them for the better in their young adult life. We had squirrel meat sliders Monday for lunch. They were mad we ran out.
    66365ee36eebca2198380fb590d6b11e.jpg

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    It's time. Started taking my kids about that age. You have 15 minutes to hunt. Then they start getting a little figety. Your done. Go find a creek and flip some stones. Keep it fun. The patience will come.

My older son wasn't a problem, his little brother would bring his Nintendo DS with ear phones and I could add another hour in the blind that way.
    I would touch him and he knew it was showtime.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    Good thread and follow up OP. Glad it all went well. Sounds like you'll be bringing him more and more.

Daughter #2 (4yr) got her first trip out Saturday. As many have stated, depends on the kid. Mine have watched me handle firearms and hunt/fish since they could walk. Never hurts to grill them with safety stuff either. They sponge it up, and it will only serve them for the better in their young adult life. We had squirrel meat sliders Monday for lunch. They were mad we ran out.

Love that pic. I've got a similar one with my son.

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    My son is not ready I think we are getting to the point where a BB gun will be ok. Started gun safety w nerf guns.

he has seen the dead deer and some processing. he knows where the food come from.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    Been more and more active with my 7 (soon to be 8) year old this summer.

He's a pro at the 10/22 charger now. Hits 9/10 on a man size target at 50 yards with a cheap holographic sight. Hits maybe 2.5/5 on a head/shoulder target at 100 yards with the same sight.

For giggles I got out an old single shot 22 challenger that was my wife's grandpa's. He hit prob 2/5 using those old iron sights on the man sized target at 50 yards, using a wood block as a front rest.

He absolutely loves it; we both do.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Got the OK from the Mrs. We're gonna get out to my grandfather's small woods late this summer and give it a shot. I'm sure he'll be really excited, so I'm not going to tell him until a few days prior.

This is such great stuff! You've got the chance to make some memories that will last his lifetime.

Those memories I have of being out with my Dad and Gramdfather at about that age are something I recall often....priceless gifts.

My best wishes to you and yours, Sir!

Last edited:

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    I am also a self taught hunter…. And faced the same obstacles of seemingly every other hunter has done it for life lol tough getting help when youre old so just jump in. I’ve been hunting 6-7 years now….. my daughter was 2 in the blind with me …. She is 9 now and has taken 2 deer now she processes with me etc etc

Top Bottom