When to introduce your kids to firearms?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chr15topher

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    New Albany
    I started my son when he was 8 and he’s 10 now. We went over the firearm rules, how a firearm operates, dry fire and safety rules and then I took him to the range. I started him off with a Sig Sauer Mosquito, which I bought for him. I think I made the right decision because he appreciates and understands how powerful and dangerous they can be if not taught basic fundamentals.

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    Each got a 22 rifle at 5 or 6.

They where shooting mine before that.

At about 11 or 12 I got them glock pistol in 9mm after they proved they could handle small guns and new the rules. By then they kept the rifle in their room with ammo. After that they had both in their rooms and could shoot when they wanted. Never had any issues. Siblings thought I was nuts. Kids are turned out just fine. Even let them shoot from the windows on the second floor at targets when the weather was bad.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    I don’t think there’s a correct age, imo. I think it depends on the child. Obviously as the parent you know him better than we do. If he doesn’t pay attention, is hyper or aggressive or whatever, might be best to wait and let him mature. If he’s a good kid that pays attention and focused well, I don’t see a reason not to introduce him to firearms. I went squirrel hunting with dad with no gun at 4, got a pellet gun at 6, got my first .22 when I was 10, then got a 20 gauge when I turned 13. I had a gun rack on my bedroom wall with my guns on it. I never felt tempted to play with them, or to shoot anybody with them. Not saying I was an perfect kid, but I never got in trouble at school and never got in trouble with the law. Only time I had a interaction with the police was when a group of friends ran their car off the road and I went to pull them out. When I pulled up cops were there. They had been drinking, I had no idea I just thought they were being idiots and ran off the road. Cops gave me a breathalyzer and told me to go home. Nobody knows your child better than you do, if you think they’re ready to handle the responsibility then get him one and start teaching him.

openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel
    depends on if "they want" vs you want a hunter....
    or shooter.

kids should show an interest.
    the guns & types of guns can come later.
    you have to remember the "fun" is important start.

my daughter started coming with me on Spring turkey scouting trips just before her 5th birthday. She really loved all the turkey sounds & other birds and animals.
    It was fun for her to even see tadpoles in water left in tire track ruts.

guns played little part in her interest in themselves.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom