• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GlockFox

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Naptown
    I have read countless posts about people who hear something or see a shadow and they go investigate with their guns drawn. As responsible carriers we should never shoot until we have to, until we are in danger of bodily harm. I don't want to go looking for someone to shoot but at the same time I am not going to call the police for every bump in the night. So when would you call the police and when would you go investigate youself?
    PS Perhaps I am looking too far into this topic but it has me curious.

selinoid44

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    northern Indiana
    I hear something out of the ordinary, I'm going to investigate! Would I have my gun out of the holster? Probably not. Depends on the situation. I suppose if I heard something and saw a light flash across a window or saw a strange car in the drive way I might. Calling the popo? Only if the situation warrants. We have called them before. The neighbors building next door had some unwanted visitors and we knew that nobody was suppose to be in there, good call.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Calling the police is not an option for me. There's 2 deputies for the entire county at night and it would take half an hour for one to get here. I always investigate noises at night with weapon ready because it's always a varmit on the porch or after the chickens or whatnot. If it ever was a person then I can only assume they are up to no good since we live far off the road and way out in the country and at night there are no lights on to alert anyone on the road that there is a house nearby.

Anyone breaking in to our house would be really, really stupid as the occupants are well armed and trained to deal with such issues.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I have read countless posts about people who hear something or see a shadow and they go investigate with their guns drawn. As responsible carriers we should never shoot until we have to, until we are in danger of bodily harm. I don't want to go looking for someone to shoot but at the same time I am not going to call the police for every bump in the night. So when would you call the police and when would you go investigate youself?
    PS Perhaps I am looking too far into this topic but it has me curious.

As a responsible firearm owner, I identify my target before even thinking about shooting, but when I hear a loud bang in my backyard at night, I do investigate with a nice flashlight and pistol. Gun drawn, damn right, but as never dream about shooting until I have identified a true threat, not a perceived threat.

My daughter had a good one a long time ago. She was home alone after school, age 16 at the time, and heard a loud bang against the house. Doing the right thing, she locked herself in our safe room and called the police and then me. On my way home I got a call from the sheriff letting me know about the situation and then he asked: "So she is locked in a safe room armed with an AK-74?" I said yes she was.

The sheriff was waiting in my drive when I got home, and told me that he did a check of the house, and found a tree limb had fallen on it. He also said that my daughter refused to come out until she got the all clear code word from me. He then told me I got a smart kid and left.

So there are times to call the police, and then there are times when you use your training and assess the situation. Most of the time it is nothing, and calling the police every time you heard a noise would soon get you on the police list of "take your time responding".

And the operative thing is training. Train yourself or get training on threat assessment. My daughter was well trained and knew that her best interest was to arm herself and lock herself in our safe room, and then calling police. Weapon fire is always a last resort after identifying a target as a definite threat, not a perceived one.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Planning is the essential part. Know what you are to do in a questionable situation and train your family to know what to do.

Any noises in the night are investigated by me. Any emergencies are met by me. my wife and kids know where to go to stay out of harms way. Anything that gets past me will be met with armed resistance.
    I have investigated so many bumps in the night I can't count them. (old guy, light sleeper) I consider this training. I know my lanes of fire exactly because i have thought them out. I am at the low ready an cloud challenge any threat immediately. So far I have not had an emergency and hope I never will.

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    Since you are completely legal to carry your gun in any way you see fit, including in your hand, then you should have no problems investigating unholstered. I know I would.

The only issue you may have is if you point that gun at someone who is not a threat. Simple trespassing is not a threat in & of itself.

Bottom line: carry it if you want but don't point it at someone unless they are a REAL threat.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Since you are completely legal to carry your gun in any way you see fit, including in your hand, then you should have no problems investigating unholstered. I know I would.

The only issue you may have is if you point that gun at someone who is not a threat. Simple trespassing is not a threat in & of itself.

Bottom line: carry it if you want but don't point it at someone unless they are a REAL threat.

Someone entering your home without your permissions IS a threat and should be treated as such. Fortunately Indiana is pretty clear on this.

Obviously there is a range between you leaving the door wide open when the neighborhood kids are playing right outside and you forgetting to lock the door at night when the neighborhood thug lets himself in, but pointing a gun at the latter is appropriate.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    1) When do I investigate for myself? As soon as I hear the "bump in the night".

2) When do I call law enforcement? As soon as I determine I need them. Same as the Fire Department (neighbor had a chimney fire once), or anyone else who might need called. No point in dialing 911 if you don't even know if there IS a problem yet.

3) When is my gun drawn? Well, if it really is a "bump in the night", it is drawn by default. My skivvies won't quite hold up a gun belt and holster! Seriously, though, I just grab it and a flashlight, and go take a look. During the day (when I'm carrying anyway), it'll stay holstered until I need it.

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    Someone entering your home without your permissions IS a threat and should be treated as such. Fortunately Indiana is pretty clear on this.

Obviously there is a range between you leaving the door wide open when the neighborhood kids are playing right outside and you forgetting to lock the door at night when the neighborhood thug lets himself in, but pointing a gun at the latter is appropriate.

Of course you're completely correct.

For some reason I read the OP as talking about investigating noises OUTSIDE his house, not INSIDE.

Top Bottom