• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bloodman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    in your nightmares
    I plan to use my Lee classic cast press to reload 223 rem. I will be using the RCBS trimmer, I was wondering if I can trim after cleaning with the primer still in, and then go through the rest of the loading process while using the index feature of this press.

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    I plan to use my Lee classic cast press to reload 223 rem. I will be using the RCBS trimmer, I was wondering if I can trim after cleaning with the primer still in, and then go through the rest of the loading process while using the index feature of this press.

Great question! I am just getting into reloading myself and was wondering about the need to trim handgun cases. I will eventually get to .223 but first the .45. Also is their a easy way to de-prime before cleaning or is that even necessary. I used new brass the first time I used a LNL. I will be getting a new LNL in June but have a lot of brass and wanted to prep it. I have a new tumbler on the way, should be here today.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    bloodman, depends on the type of trimmer. The RCBS power trimmer I have you can leave the primer in,the Lee style with the mandrel has to be deprimed. Most of the time I tumble, then trim.

USMC, handgun cases do not need trimmed, except for .357 Sig (necked cases are the ones that need trimmed). Even on the Sig case, you'll probably get a few loadings before they need done and you'll probably loose them first or the neck will split

1$Chuck

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Columbus
    I always trim after I've re-sized the brass. I would assume that working the case would stretch it a bit more although I've never measured to find out.

1$Chuck

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Columbus
    Not only can you deprime with a punch and mallet, you can reload with the mallet too.

[ame]http://cgi.ebay.com/Lee-Classic-Lee-Loader-223-Remington-5-56-Lee-90232-/390308532792?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5ae0339238[/ame]

Watch the video in the link.

I just saw these the other day. I like the concept, not sure how well it would last.

cschwanz

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Always trim after sizing because the sizing process can vary the neck slightly.

As for when, some people like to trim every time to keep things uniform. I trim a batch when it exceeds the max allowable length (check a loading manual for this number depending on what cartridge you are shooting).

Pistol brass: semi autos that headspace of the case mouth I dont waste my time even measuring them to trim, let alone actually think about putting them on the trimmer. Not a bad idea to trim revolvers as they headspac off the rim and and even length will give a uniform roll crimp.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I loaded my 1st ammo on a lee loader kit with a mallet. The kits NEVER wear out, as it is such a slow process you get tired and buy a press and die set after only a little use. It seems everyone I know that started with a Lee Loader tool kit still has it but has not used since a couple weeks after they bought it. :-)

shootinghoosier

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2010
    Indy
    My first reloads were over 30 years ago and done with a Lee Loader. It's a slow process, but it's an inexpensive way to get into reloading. The little scoops for measuring powder are not precise, but they are reasonably consistent. I used to reeload cartridges in my bedroom while the rest of the family was watching TV...the only problems I had were noise from all the mallet pounding and then there were two expisodes where I set off a primer. Both times, the family came running in to see if I had shot myself! Never got hurt, but certainly had to change my underwear immediately afterwards. Didn't take long before I bought a RCBS press, although I still have that Lee Loader.

thescrambler

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0

With the lee case length trimmer the end of the trimmer had PS a point that goes into the flash pocket in the primer. So no, the primer would get in the way of the trimmer.

Scrambler

rec4309

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Grandville, MI
    Most handgun brass(straight wall) is short to start with. I don't even measure anymore. Bottle neck cases should be trimmed after sizing. I checked some before and after sizing and they grew .005. You could probably trim them to minumum before sizing and be OK.

Top Bottom