• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    I've been doing lots of reading and believe I'm ready to get some mylar bags for storage.

I like the simplicity of one large 5 gal bag per bucket for ease of filling it, drop in a couple O2 absorbers and seal it.

I also am trying to think practically as well. I'm wondering if it would be a better idea to use 1 Gal mylar bags and take a 50lb bag of rice (for example) and break it down into smaller 'portion' sizes ?

I'm thinking if you need the food, and open a smaller bag (as necessary) and only use what's opened, the rest should last longer without the possibility of taking on moisture, etc.

Is this line of thinking sound or too much added hassle ?

On another note, I've seen large quantities of O2 absorbers and have wondered what the best method of use would be if I were to go w/ the 1 gal. bags for storage ? I read that the unused absorbers can be tossed into a mason jar but I'm wondering if there are any other tips or tricks for making the O2 absorbers last a bit longer if need be ?

Thanks for the tips.

katfishinking

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2012
    southwestern ind.
    I use a pint size jar to store my unused o2 absorbers in until ready for use. I have only used the bucket sized mylar bags myself, but it does make sense to use the gal. sized ones and like you said, the rest would stay sealed until ready for use. I think I will get some and try it.

aka-kesler

Plinker
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Aug 18, 2012
    Makes sense to use the smaller bags.. If you are just using the storage in 5 gal. buckets as your main source of food they would be used up I would think, in a reasonable time. So I guess it is all in preference and budget...

Indiana Camper

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2012
    Westfield
    I use the 1 gallon size and put a mix of things in each bucket. Normally some type of beans, rice, and oatmeal. In the middle of the bucket I drop in a container of honey and a thing of Morton salt.

Shootsforfun

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 4, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I used the 5 gal Mylar bags with a zip lock end and an open sealable end. The ziplock end has a tear off that is sealed. So you seal the other end and when you open it, you open it from the ziplock end and can reseal it.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    I also use the 1 gallon bags. It is entirely up to you. If you are feeding a large group, then you may as well go with the larger bags. I prefer to think of each bucket as an independent package and have a mixture of items in each one.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    I also use the 1 gallon bags. It is entirely up to you. If you are feeding a large group, then you may as well go with the larger bags. I prefer to think of each bucket as an independent package and have a mixture of items in each one.

This is what I was mostly thinking. I can put 'some' of "everything" in each bucket so at lesat I'll have a mix of everything in one bucket (certain exceptions may apply of course)

Maybe I can get all the 1gal bags filled and mostly sealed before tossing in an O2 absorber

and maybe use a pint size jar for the unused ones.. I'll have to look into it.

This is a recent venture for me (recently 'woke up' so to speak)

Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    I just started using mylar a couple weeks ago after doing research for a while, I decided to just jump in. I ended up deciding it was better to use 1g bags instead of a single 5g bag. I want to put everything in mylar now... :):

Using 1g bags:

- I only open a 5lb bag at a time, as opposed to needing to open a 50lb bag (for rice) and exposing it for who knows how long.
    - I have stacks of cat litter buckets. Putting the rice/beans/etc in smaller bags allows me to use these free buckets instead of needing to buy 5g buckets. (I can fit 4-5 bags per bucket, depending on the item)
    - Having smaller rations gives you greater flexibility with bartering, trading, using, etc.
    - Sixty 1g bags with 300cc absorbers is cheaper than fifty 5g bags with 2000cc absorbers.

I have a pretty good system for packing my bags. I can go into more detail if you want, but basically five 18oz Solo cups is the perfect amount for a 1g bag. This gives about 5lbs of rice/pinto beans per bag with enough room for the contents spread and the bag to stack flat (not bulged or over-filled), but also removes enough air that the absorber pulls a vacuum on the bag.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    I just started using mylar a couple weeks ago after doing research for a while, I decided to just jump in. I ended up deciding it was better to use 1g bags instead of a single 5g bag. I want to put everything in mylar now... :):

Using 1g bags:

- I only open a 5lb bag at a time, as opposed to needing to open a 50lb bag (for rice) and exposing it for who knows how long.
    - I have stacks of cat litter buckets. Putting the rice/beans/etc in smaller bags allows me to use these free buckets instead of needing to buy 5g buckets. (I can fit 4-5 bags per bucket, depending on the item)
    - Having smaller rations gives you greater flexibility with bartering, trading, using, etc.
    - Sixty 1g bags with 300cc absorbers is cheaper than fifty 5g bags with 2000cc absorbers.

I have a pretty good system for packing my bags. I can go into more detail if you want, but basically five 18oz Solo cups is the perfect amount for a 1g bag. This gives about 5lbs of rice/pinto beans per bag with enough room for the contents spread and the bag to stack flat (not bulged or over-filled), but also removes enough air that the absorber pulls a vacuum on the bag.

I remember reading this in another post of yours and that's what got me thinking about it.

I just wasn't sure what to do with a ton of absorbers if I didn't use them all while I was packing/filling 1gal bags.

Thanks for the tips. :yesway:

I'm gonna go shopping !!

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    I just use 5g bags, sealed with O2 absorbers and a variety of stuff in the bucket.

This is considered Stalingrad rations. If it comes to the point where I need the food in these buckets, they are staying open and getting eaten.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    I've posted this link multiple times. I really like the simple/cheap procedure that he uses- no special tools at all. It may be a little intimidating before you start, but once you've done a bucket or two, the process is easy to repeat.

http://youtu.be/fk9b0dAtJ80

There are variations out there, but I've read 1100-1200ccs of O2 absorbers/bucket. With 5x1 gallon bags, I just add 2x100cc absorbers to each bag and seal and then throw 2 more in the bucket and close it. The bucket seals down very tightly which is exactly what I want for long-term protection.

Last edited:

Shootsforfun

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 4, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I used this method only I left enough open to use a vacuum cleaner with a clean attachment to evacuate the air. Kinda like vacuum sealing. Then i ironed close the end.
    It worked really well, almost no air when sealed...

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I use the 1 gallon size and put a mix of things in each bucket. Normally some type of beans, rice, and oatmeal. In the middle of the bucket I drop in a container of honey and a thing of Morton salt.

Like this thought process espeiclaly if you have to bug out and don't have time to take eveyrthing.

I just use 5g bags, sealed with O2 absorbers and a variety of stuff in the bucket.

This is considered Stalingrad rations. If it comes to the point where I need the food in these buckets, they are staying open and getting eaten.

The stalingrad rations hu? Never heard of it called that but it does make sence.

OP why not do BOTH methods.
    You can do smaller bags for the stuff you use often or will use (rice, beans, pasta, etc..) and use the bigger bags for stuff you plan trade, need lots of (ie. sugar, flour, salt)

Indiana Camper

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2012
    Westfield
    I get buckets free from my local Marsh and Wal Mart also. Frosting comes in them in the bakery sections. I just ask every now and then and they are always happy to give me a few. I believe they just throw them out. The lids fit on pretty tight. I use the cat litter containers for ammo.

bw210

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    Kouts, IN
    I get buckets free from my local Marsh and Wal Mart also. Frosting comes in them in the bakery sections. I just ask every now and then and they are always happy to give me a few. I believe they just throw them out. The lids fit on pretty tight. I use the cat litter containers for ammo.

Most China-Marts and Sams Club's charge $1 each for buckets. Surprised to hear they give anything away.

Also thought I'd mention that if you have a seal-a-mealer or are good with an iron, you can cut down bags into several smaller bags. I do it all the time for my hops. I use 1 gallon and 5 gallon both. For the 5 gallon bags, natural ingredient hand warmers will seal them up tight for $0.50 or cheaper all day long.

Indiana Camper

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2012
    Westfield
    Yeah I've been pretty lucky with the buckets. Both Wal Mart and Marsh have never said no. Of course I've always been very polite in how I ask. Sometimes there will be a little frosting residue but nothing that can't be taken care of with a rinse in the bath tub.
    I've heard about using hand warmers but have never tried them yet.

jmach

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Columbus
    as for keeping a remaining quantity of O2 absorbers, I vacuum seal the bag back closed.
    and keep an eye on them for "freshness", if they are soft, like flour inside, they're still good. if the powder inside is hard, they are done already. check new ones when they arrive...

Rock River

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Indy/Morgan county
    I am able to get square 5 gallon food grade buckets from a friend at a Chinese restaurant. They get soy sauce in them. Nice and stackable! Otherwise the squares are usually too expensive.

StrayDog

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2009
    South West
    So, in reading this, I got to thinking. I would like to make some gift buckets. A single 5 gallon bucket with a mix of gallon bags inside for family without the time or money to do it themselves. Any suggestions on contents of a "gift bucket"?

I have my own ideas, but would appreciate any input.

Top Bottom