When You Hunt Out-of-State, Where Do You Go...and How often ??

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mayor al

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    Floyd/Harrison Count
    Lot's of discussion about where to hunt here in the Hoosier State, But how many of you make trips Out-of-State for hunting? Do you go annually...or are the trips more of a 'Once-in-a-Lifetime' sort of thing.

What are you hunting when you travel out of Indiana? Any adventures you would care to share regarding your OOS experiences??:yesway:

MRP2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Greenwood
    I go every year to PA for opening of gun season. Always stay in the north west area, on public land. Last year was on state game lands and saw at least 30 doe the first day. It was a little crowded as I could see blaze orange when it got light and several people walking around at mid day..

Funny, even with high powered rifles, bolt action or lever action, and scopes how many shots it took some rednecks to get one doe. Funnier when the same guy yells out "One shot, one kill, motherf'er". It took everything in me to not fall out of my stand as I was laughing so hard..

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    When I was younger I did a lot of "tripping" hunting in numerous states numerous times. A group of us made yearly trips bowhunting in Colorado for 12 years running. I've hunted Colorado ( mulies and elk) Wyoming( pronghorn and elk),North Dakota (mulies and white tails) Missouri (turkeys) Illinois ( whitetails)Michigan (whitetails) Kentucky (whitetails and turkeys) Pennsylvania (whitetails) and of course, Indiana (just about everything)I also hunted in Alberta (moose) and Ontario (black bear).

This was from 1970 to present.

Now it is only Illinois, Kentucky and Indiana..

hunting fun is hugely increased when a bunch of friends take a well planned hunting trip.. Do it while you still can.

rkesar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    new whiteland
    I get to go deer hunting every couple years in Kentucky, and this summer I took a hog hunt in Florida. The Florida trip is going to become a yearly trip now

nkhrfh

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    Just got back from the annual patriot day goose hunt in Michigan . Heat made it difficult but we got some birds to work and harvested 5.

triggerhappy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2008
    I can only afford to go out of state once every few years so I pick a different hunt in a different state each time. Last hunt was black bear in Alaska

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    Wyoming - elk, mule deer, antelope
    Colorado - elk, mule deer
    New Mexico - elk
    Quebec - caribou
    Tennessee - deer
    I used to go every year and applied for tags in multiple states. Now I only get to go about every other year. Increasing time demands at work and a kid in college have zapped my available time and money. I still buy preference points out west on years I don't apply for a tag. I'm sitting on 12 Shiras moose points in Wyoming,...it will probably take me two more years of point accumulation before I can draw unit 38. It will be worth the wait though.

I have had some great memories hunting out of state.
    - horse wrecks in the dark
    - having a horse fall side hilling on the ice on top of me, jammed my foot in the stirrup, horse got back up and drug me about 50 yards (that one sucked)
    - riding up on grizzly bears on horseback (holy c^@p!)
    - watching two grizzly cubs wrestle near a water hole
    - seeing over 500 head of elk in a high sheltered basin with about 20" of snow on the ground (shot the biggest one I saw in the herd from 426 yards)
    - pulling a glove off in a boat in northern Quebec and watching my wedding ring fly off, bounce off the top rail of the boat and then land back inside (that was close)
    - seeing my oldest son take a book antelope at 380 yards after a long stalk and belly crawl
    - running out of fuel in a float plane on the final approach to our drop camp
    - taking some great animals in awesome places
    - meeting some great people
    - seeing country most never will

Do it while you can. If you wait until you can "afford it", you'll be to old and not physically able to go on your "dream hunts". Find a way to make it happen. You'll be glad you did.

Dirty Steve

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    I usually go to VA at least once a year for deer season, usually around Thanksgiving or Christmas. Family lives out there and I love to hunt with my Dad and Brother. This will be the first year in the past 7 years that I wont be going.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    Usually am in Wyoming for the archery opener for pronghorn, but this year DIY archery for elk in Colorado in an over-the-counter area. Tough hunt, but the scenery was incredible.

DIY pronghorn in Wyoming is inexpensive and lots of fun.

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    Do it while you can. If you wait until you can "afford it", you'll be too old and not physically able to go on your "dream hunts". Find a way to make it happen. You'll be glad you did.

Dirty Steve

Truer words were never spoken...

mayor al

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    Floyd/Harrison Count
    In addition to our local Whitetail hunting here in Indiana, We have done one hog hunt down in S C Texas. It turned out ok..5 mediocure hogs, poorly processed by the guide and a lot of nickle and dime expenses that raised the total cost of the trip quite a bit. Since then we have done two hog hunting visits to a ranch in Missouri, and are booked for a Bison/Buffalo and hog hunt this winter at the same place.

In my 70's now and pretty limited in my ability to get around, I appreciate the 'handicapped hunter' services (Blind, guide, meat-processing, and the accomodations) offered by this Game Ranch. The total costs for a three day and two nite hunt within 6 hour ride from our home near Louisville is under $3k for the upcoming Bison/hog combination. Not out of reach for us for a winter weekend vacation with lots of meat to bring home.

12798.jpg

:fogey::fogey::ar15:

Now to teach myself how to 'Tan" a Buffalo Hide !!

I lived in SoCal for over 25 years, and hunted the Eastern Sierra and Mojave for many of my younger years. Many times I returned empty handed, but not discouraged. Much of that area is closed to public shooting now. I do wish we had some Mule Deer here in the East !!

LionWeight

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 17, 2011
    Merrillville
    Go to the upper peninsula every year. Brother has some land in the middle of the Hiawatha National Forest that is just incredible. There is very little private land where he is and for the last 9 years we have only seen 1 other hunter. It's far from any paved roads and no planes so it's very remote. I look forward to the peaceful time every year. Brothers, Dad, Son go so it's a wonderful time. Hunt deer every year, and in 2005 got lucky and got a bear tag. Didn't bag 1 though they came in every night and wiped out the feed barrels never saw 1 in the daytime. Sigh......soon....soon. :)

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    I hunt down in KY almost every year. My sister in law and her husband have a large (600+ acres) farm in Breckenridge Co., plenty of room for everybody and then some. Plus the traditional opening morning breakfast ... Can't wait!

Zinga

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Grew up in WI and traveled back there for about 20 years to deer hunt the same farm, which was sold a few years back and my hunting there ended.

Had a friend buy some property in Nebraska and have been out there for turkey and deer. Four spring turkey hunts = 4 turkeys. Three deer hunts = 1 whitetail and 2 mule deer. Great piece of property that I am fortunate to be able to hunt. Looking forward to being out in there in approximately 59 days and 14 hours...but who is counting.

mayor al

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    Floyd/Harrison Count
    Huntall50-- Better hurry on some of the Northeastern USA, if you haven't logged them yet !! Open hunting areas are disappearig fast in much of the New England area.

I have Hunted in 19 States over the years, adding Mexico and Canada as bonus points...30 or so years ago. Now I find myself aging faster than i can get to more states !!

Top Bottom