• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    Heard on the news that a school up around southbend will start teaching a one half day in spanish. With all of the so called problems the kids seem to havre finding time to learn the basics I have to really wonder how this curriculum came about. I have nothing against a spanish class but this seems a bit over the top to me. I am afraid if one of my children happened to be in that class I just might be standing on somebody's desk speaking English.

I thought what I hearrd about this was that it was K-garden. I figured it was half-day for english speakers and half day for our spanish speaking friends. don't know what happens in first grade though!

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    So apparently your not a well traveled man, alot of the world speAks Spanish.
    Fourty + years ago we didn't have much of a immigration problem here, and with that why was French, German, Latin and Spanish offered as a second language when I was in school in the 60s and middle 70s ?
    I don't even know how you came to those conclusions after reading my post. I'm not against learning second languages. If you don't think that illegals were coming here in in large numbers in the 60's and 70's, you are the one who is not well-versed in contemporary history. BTW, is English your first language?

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I aced Pig Latin in one afternoon, I'm just smart that way. :rockwoot:

Learning a second language it great.
    But wouldn't it be more beneficial to teach English to the invaders first and not cater to their dependencies? :dunno:
    Or at least reading lessons like- "Keep Out" "Access Prohibited" "Do Not Enter" "Violators Will Be Shot" etc...

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I would like to know if this classroom time was specifically devoted to languages prior to adopting this plan. If it were my child I would not be thrilled if time was taken away from a STEM subject to accommodate something PC

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Would you think it the best learning opportunity for your child if they were taught new material, say in mathematics, while simultaneously taught a new language? I suspect it would detract from performance in both areas

TB1999

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    Would you think it the best learning opportunity for your child if they were taught new material, say in mathematics, while simultaneously taught a new language? I suspect it would detract from performance in both areas
    The younger you are, the easier it is to learn a new language. Plus, the confidence translates to other subjects.

I wonder how many foreign countries teach their students english..a lot! Why not put our kids on an equal field with the countries who know that being bilingual is a positive, not a negative?

TB1999

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010

So you agree we should get rid of music in schools too?

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Heard on the news that a school up around southbend will start teaching a one half day in spanish. With all of the so called problems the kids seem to havre finding time to learn the basics I have to really wonder how this curriculum came about. I have nothing against a spanish class but this seems a bit over the top to me. I am afraid if one of my children happened to be in that class I just might be standing on somebody's desk speaking English.

Nothing like institutionalized balkanization.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

Maybe. I made known the same concern in a post. However, I've learned not to make wild assumptions about education and my wife doesn't make wild assumptions about product design.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    yourinamerica.jpg

Top Bottom