• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bulletsmith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Lake County
    Small businesses are a lot like teeth. Just ignore them and they'll go away.

:thumbsup: Absolutely correct.

The gun culture doesn't want an old fashioned gun shop. They have done everything in their power to put the little guys out of business. They would rather go to their Walmart and buy their gun stuff along with their socks, milk, and whatever else that place sells.

We can't have it both ways. If we want the little guys to be there, we have to support them. There's no way they can compete with the big box prices. So what? Make a cup of coffee at home today instead of paying 6.00 for it, and spend a little money at the little independent shop instead.
    :soapbox: That is all. Now get off of my lawn!

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Ive traveled an hour in either direction from goshen in search of a decent shop. Ive run into mainly: poorly stocked. Rude or indifferent employees. Out right lies ( getting hard to get! When i just toured the foundry and saw plenty of stock. ) no deals...anywhere! Used stuff costing as much as retail. Where i come from there was always good deals. Packages with scopes and bi pods. Ar's with nice red dots. Am i missing something? I am purchasing my next ar on gunbroker because it is a good deal.

1. You must be new to the gun culture.

2. Of course gun shops are poorly stocked. Inventory is sunk capital. You want the Korth catalogue in the case? This is why we continually get the "we can order whatever you want" nonsense. Look, if you know guns, then you are going to order anywho instead of buying one of the dozens of P-22 or Ruger LCP on the gun store shelf.

3. Rude or indifferent employees? For what the owner must pay them you want what exactly? Walking encyclopedias of knowledge?

4. Outright lies? We have our stories about whoppers they tell. We know this. It is not uncommon to the gun culture, or car sales, or computers, or stereos, or inter alia.

5. Deals? We stand at the threshold of one of the biggest runs on guns and ammo in history and you want a deal? What is a deal to you? Why do you think the dealers have to offer deals?

6. You are complaining about gun shops but you want to order on gunbroker? I think you are missing something. Is this thread just a rationalization for ordering on-line (if so, cool with me, let the market decide and all that, but I think you are missing something).

TacticalFun

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Aug 7, 2016
    Goshen

2. Of course gun shops are poorly stocked. Inventory is sunk capital. You want the Korth catalogue in the case? This is why we continually get the "we can order whatever you want" nonsense. Look, if you know guns, then you are going to order anywho instead of buying one of the dozens of P-22 or Ruger LCP on the gun store shelf.

3. Rude or indifferent employees? For what the owner must pay them you want what exactly? Walking encyclopedias of knowledge?

4. Outright lies? We have our stories about whoppers they tell. We know this. It is not uncommon to the gun culture, or car sales, or computers, or stereos, or inter alia.

5. Deals? We stand at the threshold of one of the biggest runs on guns and ammo in history and you want a deal? What is a deal to you? Why do you think the dealers have to offer deals?

6. You are complaining about gun shops but you want to order on gunbroker? I think you are missing something. Is this thread just a rationalization for ordering on-line (if so, cool with me, let the market decide and all that, but I think you are missing something).

1. Nope. 12 years and 4 in the marines.
    2. The gun shops in pa were huge.
    3.everyone should take pride in their job. No matter the job.
    4. I have nothing.
    5. they dont have to do anything.
    6. I purchased a rifle from vision defense at the show today instead of gunbroker to support local.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven

Lol

thats a pretty good justification for the shoddy service at gun shops. I hear the same crap to justify how awful guitar center is. And guess what? They are slowly sinking.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    I agree with what Winimac said. Once you find a good local gun shop, it beats the heck out of RK, Cabala's, and the other fancy boutique gun shops. I will name drop McDonald's Gun Shop near Marion because they have great selection, negotiable prices, and excellent customer service. Bare Arms is another good little gun shop.

Every time I go to Cabala's, or Gander Mountain, I feel like I am going to be screwed over by the sales staff.

fjw2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2016
    Close to a friend
    OK, I was going to make this post as an update to my post under the thread "New Gun Store Opened Today" started byselinoid44. It is about Two Bear Arms gun store in Etna Green. See the thread for store details. After having read some of the posts on this thread, my update might be more helpful posted here. I had an opportunity to visit Two Bear Arms today. Since I am not currently into shooting sports, I had no idea that what I was about to come upon was more than just a well stocked, friendly staffed and industry supporting facility. Curt (sorry to you if I spelled it wrong) was welcoming and informative. He went to great lengths to give me a verbal tour of the their place and invited me to take a walk around to enjoy some of the cowboy action competition while he finished up helping the gentleman that was there before I came in. Despite only being open 8 days, the inventory is plentiful and competitively priced. The facility, which many people involved in cowboy action shooting can attest to, can accomodate many hundreds of people that show up for competition in terms overnight camping. They have ongoing training and plans for shooting lanes not only for pistol but a 350 yard range is also in the works. To those who are looking for more than just a store that you buy your next firearm or accessory, staffed by people that can come across as less than friendly, you might be more than glad you visited Two Bear Arms. You just might also go away with a renewed sense of excitement for firearms in general. I could go on and on about the place but I will just say, do yourself a favor and see it for yourself.

Light

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    Near Fort Wayne
    If you haven't been to ZXGUNS make the trip OP. I went to the Goshen store before when I lived closer, some good guys in there.
    They definitely needed the store upgrade and now it's a good size. Large range of stuff. Seems like they have at least one of whatever you are interested in.
    If they don't have it they can order it. They also have the lowest prices I've been able to find around on most guns (If you factor online + shipping + transfer fee + tax)
    USMC-Johnson is store manager at their Fort Wayne location which is where i go to. He can sort you out if you have any issues.

Probably gonna be in the Fort Wayne store Friday to try and get a Savage Model 10 in .308

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I see a lot of crying about how brick and mortar can't compete, and if you want to be charitable and pay more out of good will toward the owner that's fine. It's probably not a sustainable business model long term, though. It seems like there are successful retail shops, so there must be some way to do it. I suspect due to customer valued additions to the gun shop that the Internet has trouble with, from personal service to range time to customizing/engraving, etc. I will pay a bit more to deal local, but for a lot of the guns I've bought new over the past 5 years it's generally $100-$300 cheaper online. I'm not willing to be that charitable.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    OK, I was going to make this post as an update to my post under the thread "New Gun Store Opened Today" started byselinoid44. It is about Two Bear Arms gun store in Etna Green. See the thread for store details. After having read some of the posts on this thread, my update might be more helpful posted here. I had an opportunity to visit Two Bear Arms today. Since I am not currently into shooting sports, I had no idea that what I was about to come upon was more than just a well stocked, friendly staffed and industry supporting facility. Curt (sorry to you if I spelled it wrong) was welcoming and informative. He went to great lengths to give me a verbal tour of the their place and invited me to take a walk around to enjoy some of the cowboy action competition while he finished up helping the gentleman that was there before I came in. Despite only being open 8 days, the inventory is plentiful and competitively priced. The facility, which many people involved in cowboy action shooting can attest to, can accomodate many hundreds of people that show up for competition in terms overnight camping. They have ongoing training and plans for shooting lanes not only for pistol but a 350 yard range is also in the works. To those who are looking for more than just a store that you buy your next firearm or accessory, staffed by people that can come across as less than friendly, you might be more than glad you visited Two Bear Arms. You just might also go away with a renewed sense of excitement for firearms in general. I could go on and on about the place but I will just say, do yourself a favor and see it for yourself.

Did I walk you thru the cowboy range?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    2. The gun shops in pa were huge.

No, they are not; they are tiny. Been to a bunch around Pittsburgh (brother in Sarver, Butler County) and Indiana's are routinely bigger.

If you know of a big one, let me know and I can look it over.

However, gun shops, as they are run by hobbyists, are tiny as they are all undercapitalized. It's just the nature of the beast.

fjw2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2016
    Close to a friend
    Did I walk you thru the cowboy range?
    I perused the cowboy town. There were some people competing all the way in the back. I got close enough to enjoy watching the competition but not too close because I had no ear protection. I guess you can tell from my post that I was very enthused about finding(for me) Paradise Pass. I didn't get a deal done on the rifle I was after , but I'll be back!

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Check out ZX's online store. I believe it is one of their distributors that hosts it. I agree they don't stock as many long guns in the store as you might expect. But you can order from their store what you want and pick it up at the store then. They always seem to have the best prices on their guns and I like the staff there, Gabriel and Dylan. Tomlinson's down in Churubusco has a lot of long guns and handguns plus reloading supplies. There used to be one down in Warsaw on US 30 that had a lot of hunting rifles and shotguns. I can't remember their name right now, but I could drive there... east of town on the north side of the highway.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    JMHO, but in Indy, there are SEVERAL .....

Bradis

Beech Grove Firearms

Indy Trading Post

Plainfield Shooting Supplies

Point Blank, Greenwood, and Carmel

Indy Arms 52nd and Keystone area

Parabellum in Avon

Grey Wolf

see, SEVERAL .....

TacticalFun

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Aug 7, 2016
    Goshen
    JMHO, but in Indy, there are SEVERAL .....

Bradis

Beech Grove Firearms

Indy Trading Post

Plainfield Shooting Supplies

Point Blank, Greenwood, and Carmel

Indy Arms 52nd and Keystone area

Parabellum in Avon

Grey Wolf

see, SEVERAL .....

I will have to make a trip to indy

fjw2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2016
    Close to a friend
    We shoot the first Saturday of the month =every month. Rain sleet or snow. Feel free to stop.
    I appreciate the invite. I would probably come to watch or buy something. But I don't even own a revolver, double barrel shotgun or lever gun. Can't wait to get back there though. I just think it's a cool place to be. Also would like to see the cowboy action championships Curt mentioned. The tactical 22LR shoots he mentioned interested me but my day job is in Laporte. By the time I got there, it would be too late. Maybe next summer,when the days are long.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I see a lot of crying about how brick and mortar can't compete, and if you want to be charitable and pay more out of good will toward the owner that's fine. It's probably not a sustainable business model long term, though. It seems like there are successful retail shops, so there must be some way to do it. I suspect due to customer valued additions to the gun shop that the Internet has trouble with, from personal service to range time to customizing/engraving, etc. I will pay a bit more to deal local, but for a lot of the guns I've bought new over the past 5 years it's generally $100-$300 cheaper online. I'm not willing to be that charitable.

You can be successful but you can't price your guns over MSRP and expect to make it. The store I worked at dealt in volume, it was a well established store though built over many years. We ordered many guns direct and had built up good payment terms with the mfg'ers and distributors and that takes time. One thing to do is have some variety, if I come in there and routinely see the same guns in the same place on the shelf it likely won't bring me back in. I know what I want when I go into a store the employees don't need to be geniuses but good customer service is easy and anybody can do that regardless of what they are being paid.

Top Bottom