• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tatters

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    May 27, 2008
    Columbia City
    I used to see a bunch of them... I don't see hardly any. Did the coyotes get them, was there some mass die-off? Asteroids?

Used to be target-rich in our area..Not so much now.

Bikerdad61

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    Sullivan
    My thought has always been with the explosion of the Coyote population over the past 15 or so years, the Ground Hogs became prey. I can remember 30 years ago running the country roads and shooting 3-4 Hogs three nights a week. Now you rarely see one.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Weird you posted this. I have been wondering this past week about it. I usually have had to kill a couple in my garden by this time every year for 20 years.

cedarthicket

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 3, 2012
    I agree with the correlation between the rapid rise in the coyote population and the fall in the groundhog population. I suspect that a great number of the groundhogs that burrowed in the open hay and soybean fields fell prey to coyotes. Many of the hogs that survived were the ones that wisely took up residence in abandoned or little used barns and sheds where they were literally only a few feet from lots of green vegetation. They could make a very quick retreat to the shelter of the buildings where no coyote could dig them out and where coyotes would have a hard time getting between the hogs and their burrows.

You might want to check with the owner of such old farm buildings for permission to reduce his groundhog population. Groundhogs contribute to the downfall of many old wooden farm buildings. Of course, you would have to be extra careful shooting around buildings to avoid potentially serious collateral damage to the buildings and/or their contents.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Coyotes have depleted a lot of game animals.
    Property we hunt used to have a butt load of rabbit and quail. No more.
    Now we bust as many yotes as possible but they keep coming back.

JimH

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    I would say that pesticides and/or chemicals used in no till farming have destroyed more rabbits,quail and groundhogs than coyotes.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    I think they all moved up north(to our house).We have at least 3 separate dens...sigh.I have shot a few,but they just keep coming.
    wrcs2h.jpg

.452browning

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    I have several wood chucks digging under my barn this year. I'm sure they won't leave if I ask so I'm probably going to have to eliminate them before long. I've actually seen a lot of wildlife more so than previous years. Deer, turkey, raccoon, rabbit, hawk, owl, fox, etc. Still not many coyotes, but still present. Central eastern Morgan county.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I used to hunt them with a vengeance as a kid.............hope I didn't overdo it ;)

But back then you'd shoot down a bean field, and whatever was left would repopulate when it was corn the next year (non hunted).
    Some fields, not very big, could produce 30 -50 kills every other year.

Quite a few places we used to hunt had houses built nearby or on them, or were sold.

And yes, I think the yote population has had the biggest impact.

A coyote in those areas was a pretty rare deal back then.

Last edited:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Not that you could hunt them, but there are 3-5 that live along old 67 in Mooresville between the road and the creek/RR tracks. They are brave too. They dont run for cover as you drive by them. They still freeze, but seldom scamper off. The kids love playing "spot the groundhog" whenever we drive that road.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    One had the nerve years ago to move into my backyard..............MY back yard.
    I just restored an old Wing recurve, had it in the kitchen and the wife yelled at me "Don't you even think about shooting it with that bow!".

I said OK, took the bow to the basement and got my Ruger Mk2 Target 5 1/2" :)

In the blood man, in the blood, even my cuz has the same disease............chucks and bullets, are a match made in heaven.

JimH

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Another big factor in the groundhog(and grey fox) decline around here has been distemper.I used to shoot groundhogs by the dozen every year,but haven't killed one in Indiana in 25+ years.The reason I don't think coyotes are the main culprit is that I have seen plenty in Ohio and Missouri,and they also have plenty of coyotes in those areas.
    I love hunting groundhogs,but won't shoot one anymore-as far as I know,they are about the only burrowing animal we have,and their burrows are used by rabbits and other wildlife.I have even seen quail tracks in the snow going into burrows.
    Around buildings,where they are heck on foundations I know they are not good,but otherwise I say leave them alone and hope they make a comeback.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    One had the nerve years ago to move into my backyard..............MY back yard.
    I just restored an old Wing recurve, had it in the kitchen and the wife yelled at me "Don't you even think about shooting it with that bow!".

I said OK, took the bow to the basement and got my Ruger Mk2 Target 5 1/2" :)

In the blood man, in the blood, even my cuz has the same disease............chucks and bullets, are a match made in heaven.

Family used to have a lot of farm land in Putnam county when I was much younger. Cousins were some chuck hunters. My Grandmother and aunts would actually cook them. If you did not shoot them to be dressed out you got your butt chewed.
    I never ate any but they liked it...............:dunno:

As mentioned up thread, all the land is now developed or sold off.

whatscooking

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2010
    Madison,In
    I have seen more this year that years past. Rabbits are somewhat common now. Seems to me that trees and grass are growing real good this year, after last years dry spell I thought we were heading for major problems but mother nature will always surprise you.

Top Bottom