Where are my fellow lobstermen? Jordan B Peterson appreciation thread.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BoltThrower

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 24, 2014
    Warsaw
    I like J Pete, I even went and saw him live when he was touring in Indy. His (first) book is good, if a bit rambling.

His biblical lectures where he lays out all the old bible stories and gets into symbology and themes Id never considered before are really awesome.

All that being said the guy's life is like a trainwreck recently and his daughter is like someone who completely ignored his advice. He talks about how all the great philosophers and psychologists he's studied are mental cases to some degree and he appears to fit the mold himself.

With Jordan "I'm not saying it" Peterson, as with all things, it's best to take what is useful from him and disregard the rest. I think alotta guys put him on a pedestal after his book came out as if he was a perfect man. He's got some good takes and he's well reasoned, definitely a big brain smart guy, but I wouldn't call him a role model.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I've never looked at, considered or expected him to be a role model. I enjoy listening to him as I find precious little to disagree with and have yet to see anyone who can come close to dismantling what he has to say. He is very polarizing because he simply tells the truth which some find terrifying and too unpleasant to acknowledge.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I've never looked at, considered or expected him to be a role model. I enjoy listening to him as I find precious little to disagree with and have yet to see anyone who can come close to dismantling what he has to say. He is very polarizing because he simply tells the truth which some find terrifying and too unpleasant to acknowledge.
    This. Some of the most flawed people have spoken the most profound truths.

And conversely, some of the most pious "pure" people I have met have some mighty stupid (and dare I say dangerous) ideas. Like pastors that think that "If we take away all guns, we can save everyone!" Conveniently forgetting that only the moral people follow the law and the people they are trying to disarm just wont cooperate.

And of course there are plenty of people in the middle. (Horrible people with bad ideas, good people with good ideas)

Last edited:

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I'm a big fan of Jordan Peterson, which is to say that I've watched and enjoyed many of his interviews, lectures, and podcasts on Youtube. I wouldn't say that he's said things I've disagreed with, but I would have lots of questions if I ever did get the chance to ask. I was really sorry to hear about the difficulty he suffered with side-effects to medication he was prescribed, and I'm glad that he appears to be on the mend.

I like most all of the "Intellectual Dark Web" people and podcasts on Youtube, although it takes a bit of commitment to get through some, like an entire Sam Harris talk. I find that there is a lot to be learned by listening with a critical-but-open mind.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Read his first book. Watched his videos and a documentary about him. Interesting man who started out with a clear message. Know he has recently had some serious health issues. Wanted to see and hear him speak, when he traveled through Indy.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    My profile pic on Twitter

QU8a2Pw.jpg

breakingcontact

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 75%