Where are the Indiana PD's missing guns?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • williamsburg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Nov 12, 2011
    Oaklandon
    ......as mentioned most in the report - we never claim these weapons are on the streets in the hands of criminals - waiting to murder innocent citizens.....
    Sometimes it's not what is said but what is not said in these news reports that are the key words. It was pointed out that certain items are missing. Insinuating that the PD's no longer have them. I understand that it's just reporting the "fact" that these items are "missing" but the report gives the viewer the impression that these are in the hands of the wrong people.

Perception is 100% truth.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    Let's see.

Who here watched the story and believes that IMPD has lost, improperly processed or in any way other than having them stolen, misplaced a DRMO weapon?

I don't think anyone here believes anything the news is saying anymore. They can't even get the weather right when all they have to do is walk outside...

NewsShooter

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Sometimes it's not what is said but what is not said in these news reports that are the key words. It was pointed out that certain items are missing. Insinuating that the PD's no longer have them.

This is expressly the case in the .45 handgun missing from Cumberland. That specific firearm is 100% missing.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Let's see.

Who here watched the story and believes that IMPD has lost, improperly processed or in any way other than having them stolen, misplaced a DRMO weapon?

From watching the story, I believed that to be the case.

NewsShooter

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Indianapolis
    So, it could simply be a situation where the the paperwork is not in order, but the guns are not necessarily missing? I'm not implying that to be acceptable, but could that be the case?

I'm not sure if it's worse that it's being reported that guns are missing or that the department doesn't record/document the guns owned by the department. :dunno: Hopefully, they can ask the officers to bring them in and account for each of them, if that's the issue.

IMPD specifically, has been suspended from the program. Here's why: “They are currently suspended for either an accountability or reporting issue regarding weapons,” DLA Media Relations Chief Michelle McCaskill told I-Team 8. The story doesn't accuse them of losing a firearm, but rather trying to figure out why they were suspended. And the answer to that question from the DPS was: “It's a process question,” she said. “A lot of times when officers and staff are receiving the goods from the federal government or other agencies who are making donations, they just don't understand the process of properly documenting that asset and getting it on the books. I think in our case, it's a process where we need to work directly with the auditor's office and the controller's office and the officers who are taking the equipment and make sure we're documenting and getting it capitalized the right way.”

I haven't seen the list of 30 guns that HAVE been lost or if all 11 of the Depts that have been suspended for losing guns... But it's a combination of both: Losing them or properly recording the weapons they are given.

Last edited:

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    IMPD specifically, has been suspended from the program. Here's why: “They are currently suspended for either an accountability or reporting issue regarding weapons,” DLA Media Relations Chief Michelle McCaskill told I-Team 8. The story doesn't accuse them of losing a firearm, but rather trying to figure out why they were suspended. And the answer to that question from the DPS was: “It's a process question,” she said. “A lot of times when officers and staff are receiving the goods from the federal government or other agencies who are making donations, they just don't understand the process of properly documenting that asset and getting it on the books. I think in our case, it's a process where we need to work directly with the auditor's office and the controller's office and the officers who are taking the equipment and make sure we're documenting and getting it capitalized the right way.”

I haven't seen the list of 30 guns that HAVE been lost or if all 11 of the Depts that have been suspended for losing guns... But it's a combination of both: Losing them or properly recording the weapons they are given.

How hard can it be to account for equipment? I sign everything out to 18 year old trainees and if it comes up missing when we do their inventory or when it's time to turn in I know exactly who was accountable for it. The sensitive items they sign for cover weapons, night vision, lasers, and whatever else I wouldn't want to have to pay for if it comes up missing (which is everything). Sounds like if these PD's can't handle it it's just as well they are suspended.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    Here is an explanation of how the process works.

A DRMO calls up XYZ department and says,
    "We're going to do an audit on the 19th"

The person assigned to hand out the equipment says,
    "OK"

The 19th rolls around and the DRMO guy says,
    "show me all 210 pairs of Binoculars we gave you last year, i need to count them"

The equipment guy says,
    "You want to SEE them? I have a list here of all the people that have them, what shift they work, where they're assigned and the individual serial numbers of each pair as well as our own asset tags"

DRMO guy says,
    "Paragraph XXX subsection XXX article XXX clearly states...."

Equipment guy says,
    "Ok, well out of 210 people that have binos 1/3 are off today leaving 140 that work, we have 3 different shifts so only 1/3 of the remaining 140 are actually available to come in assuming they're not on a run, but since we get 5,000-7,000 runs a day its unlikely that they'll all be able to show up at the same time. If you would like i can page the remaining 46 to come show you they do have a $12.00 pair of binoculars in their possession.

DRMO guy,
    "unfortunately you're suspended until I can see all 210 and by the way the government paid $2,000 each for those binoculars."

Later the news comes along and gets nothing right and prints their version of the facts.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Here is an explanation of how the process works.

A DRMO calls up XYZ department and says,
    "We're going to do an audit on the 19th"

The person assigned to hand out the equipment says,
    "OK"

The 19th rolls around and the DRMO guy says,
    "show me all 210 pairs of Binoculars we gave you last year, i need to count them"

The equipment guy says,
    "You want to SEE them? I have a list here of all the people that have them, what shift they work, where they're assigned and the individual serial numbers of each pair as well as our own asset tags"

DRMO guy says,
    "Paragraph XXX subsection XXX article XXX clearly states...."

Equipment guy says,
    "Ok, well out of 210 people that have binos 1/3 are off today leaving 140 that work, we have 3 different shifts so only 1/3 of the remaining 140 are actually available to come in assuming they're not on a run, but since we get 5,000-7,000 runs a day its unlikely that they'll all be able to show up at the same time. If you would like i can page the remaining 46 to come show you they do have a $12.00 pair of binoculars in their possession.

DRMO guy,
    "unfortunately you're suspended until I can see all 210 and by the way the government paid $2,000 each for those binoculars."

Later the news comes along and gets nothing right and prints their version of the facts.

That's how it works, we call it a "layout" because that's exactly what you do. Lay everything out in rows to be physically counted. Now that everybody knows the procedure after reading subsection xx it shouldn't be a problem to get things counted.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    Exactly.

If YOU lose a gun...
    the police take a report.
    You don't suffer at your job.
    You aren't placed under a microscope.
    No one makes an internet thread about it.

If a cop loses a gun:

it is immediately on the news.
    The cop gets suspended without pay.
    The cop has to pay for the gun.
    Everyone on the internet across america gets a chance to call him an idiot.

This story from this thread is no different:

Here we have a classic example of how ****ing worthless the news at reporting "the news"
    You'd think they'd take the time to investigate but of course why do that, the sheep will believe anything we tell them. See here the news is implying the police lost guns when they didn't in order to get the expected shock reaction from the sheep. As long as you keep watching, it doesn't matter if it's true.

True story:
    Did you know on average, once every 2 weeks, someone leaves a gun in a downtown Indy hotel and a maid finds it while cleaning up? You probably didn't...it's not on the news. Cops NOT losing guns IS on the news. That makes sense.

So there is a difference... Even when the news is proven wrong, they won't retract the statements, and morons will continue to believe the story.

Max Volume

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    There is a bit of a difference between a so called professional and a supposed amature.

In any field you have the professionals and amatures. If someone chooses something as a career they should be held to the highest of standards.

I see the same thing go on in the various fields and there is a reason people must meet certain standards in their chosen profession.

Are private pilots held to the same standards as a part 121 airline pilot? No. Nor are they expected to be because they can not legally tell you "I will fly you from point A to point B for X amount of dollars. In order to do that they must go through certain checks and be operated under specific government regulations. When someone hears of a pilot flying for their own benefit then crashes and burns people say "the dumb $*$Y". Same with truck drivers, taxi drivers etc.

That is your career that you have chosen and should be held to the highest of standards and act PROFESSIONALLY. Loosing a gun is very unprofessional when you are PAID to act professionally as an officer of the law. To think otherwise must be part of the modern "entitlement" generation. "I don't care if they pay me, am I supposed to do my job and act professional"?

Now let's look at that in respect to the current argument of the 2nd amendment. You've all heard the argument that "when seconds count, help is minutes away". How about when help finally arrived the first responder is useless because his/her holster is empty because they forgot their weapon somewhere and didn't realize it.

Last edited:

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    The Police are no different than you or me... unless the mess up!

It's one or the other...either they're held to a lesser standard or they're held to a higher standard...

There is a bit of a difference between a so called professional and a supposed amature.

In any field you have the professionals and amatures. If someone chooses something as a career they should be held to the highest of standards.

If a cop loses a gun:

it is immediately on the news.
    The cop gets suspended without pay.
    The cop has to pay for the gun.
    Everyone on the internet across america gets a chance to call him an idiot.

That is your career that you have chosen and should be held to the highest of standards and act PROFESSIONALLY. Loosing a gun is very unprofessional when you are PAID to act professionally as an officer of the law. To think otherwise must be part of the modern "entitlement" generation. "I don't care if they pay me, am I supposed to do my job and act professional"?

Now let's look at that in respect to the current argument of the 2nd amendment. You've all heard the argument that "when seconds count, help is minutes away". How about when help finally arrived the first responder is useless because his/her holster is empty because they forgot their weapon somewhere and didn't realize it.

So there is a difference... Even when the news is proven wrong, they won't retract the statements, and morons will continue to believe the story.

Thank you for proving both of my points, I just laughed so hard i have to change my depends. I couldn't have said it better myself. Welcome to INGO, regardless the cops suck as long as it fits the narrative. Either they won't get in trouble as a "normal citizen" would as they're held to a lesser standard...or when shown that isn't the case, the narrative changes to: they are held to a higher standard and should be ridiculed for their stupidity...and we will continue to ridicule them for being stupid even though the news printed FALSE statements that the police are losing guns. Reading is fundamental. You don't have to worry about cops showing up without guns, rest assured they have them...they've always had them, and despite when the news FEELS LIKE LYING TO YOU AND SAYING THEY'VE LOST THEM...it's not true. But again thank you for proving my point

Last edited:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I saw the report and still remain confused.

Ok, some gear is not accounted for. Is it out to officers? On loan to other departments? Destroyed?

After viewing this, I only have more questions.:dunno:

Max Volume

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    It's one or the other...either they're held to a lesser standard or they're held to a higher standard...

Thank you for proving both of my points, I just laughed so hard i have to change my depends. I couldn't have said it better myself. Welcome to INGO, regardless the cops suck as long as it fits the narrative. Either they won't get in trouble as a "normal citizen" would as they're held to a lesser standard...or when shown that isn't the case, the narrative changes to: they are held to a higher standard and should be ridiculed for their stupidity...and we will continue to ridicule them for being stupid even though the news printed FALSE statements that the police are losing guns. Reading is fundamental. You don't have to worry about cops showing up without guns, rest assured they have them...they've always had them, and despite when the news FEELS LIKE LYING TO YOU AND SAYING THEY'VE LOST THEM...it's not true. But again thank you for proving my point

If you were to read my earlier post concerning a certain local department you would see a different situation in which the reports were proven correct.

Compatriot G

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    New Castle
    I heard an interesting story from a retired officer about this program. His department had an order for 4 or 5 M16A1's. They were delivered to the water department instead of the police department! Fortunately, the guys at the water department immediately called the PD to report they had just received the M16A1's.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    If you were to read my earlier post concerning a certain local department you would see a different situation in which the reports were proven correct.

Your earlier post said "lake city police sold guns". If you can provide a link to where it is "proven" that they sold DRMO weapons, or give me a contact person/number I'll gladly investigate that for you and anyone else here.

Here is a true story that actually happened involving Indiana police and DRMO weapons for those looking for something they can condemn the police over. DRMO came to a small department and gave them several M16. The guns were vietnam era but functioned. Most officers ended up buying their own Ar-15's as it's easier to mount optics and what not. A new chief took over and saw all these M16's gathering dust and wanted the space for something and called the ATF instead of DRMO and asked how to get rid of the m16s. They told them that they can't sell them, but they can torch cut them into several pieces and they will no longer be "guns". A little while later DRMO shows up and says "we need to see all the binoculars, helmets, m16's, socks, and watches that we gave you last year. Luckily the department was small so they rounded up the few officers they had to display their DRMO winnins and everything was present and accounted for...except the guns. The DRMO guy says I need to see 10 m16's...WTF? The chief then explains that no one was using them so he had them torch cut to ATF specs. The DRMO guy called some folks then told the chief he needed to come up with every single piece of 10 m16's for him to verify or he'd be turning the case over to the feds for prosecution. The chief came up with every single part, but was removed from the DRMO list. This was years ago and had nothing to do with the OP's article, but it's still interesting.

Max Volume

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    Your earlier post said "lake city police sold guns". If you can provide a link to where it is "proven" that they sold DRMO weapons, or give me a contact person/number I'll gladly investigate that for you and anyone else here.

Not Lake City******, Lake County. In the region up north. Here is a link to the article sir but I do believe the investigation has been completed and the officers agreed to plead guilty.

"The US Attorney for Northern Indiana says the men bought 74 fully automatic machine guns and 92 laser sights. They are accused of falsely claiming the equipment was for use by the sheriff's department".

Lake County, Indiana, police charged with illegally selling machine guns | abc7chicago.com

Ask and you shall receive.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom