• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • old man Bill

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 12, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    One of my hobbies is making pens using a wood lathe. There are some really cool cartridge kits on the market but the best ones are made from actual cartridges and bullets. I can get a bag at the Indy 1500 but I don't want, or need, 100 of each. I'm willing to pay, or trade a pen, for maybe a dozen cartridges and bullets if anyone who reloads and is willing to send me a few. Search, Penn State Industries and look around for bullet pens and you'll see what they look like. I've done a few and sold them. They are really neat when made with deer antler.
    Bill

old man Bill

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 12, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    Would be good if they had a spent primer in them. No need to size or anything. I will polish and lacquer finish them then insert a brass tube in the cartridge and epoxy in place. Then turn the antler, or wood, and finish it. Then I will drill the bullet for the pen refill to fit through and insert it with the spring and transmission.....sorry. You asked what time it is and I'm telling you how to build a watch. Suffice it to say getting the bullets and cartridges is the simple part.
    Bill

HavokCycle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Zionsville
    lol, yeah no prob, i've no bullets on me at the moment, haven't been able to find any lately. i've cases to spare, soon as i find a few bullets i'd trade you for a completed unit or something

jcwit

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Dead Center on the End
    I've a bunch with the spent primers still in them, Berdan primed which would be OK for your use, I have both calibers. Shoot me a PM and I'll send them, we can work out the details later.

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    could you use some 8mm

I have a bunch of 8 mm Romanian & Yugo "brass" Its not really brass i do not think, You can have it for nothing.. Here is the deal it comes out of a m53/mg 42, when the round ejects it puts a large ding in the rim of the round . So you will have to remove the ding from the rim... If that is acceptable then you can have it,,

old man Bill

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 12, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    Holy cow, thanks for all of the offers and comments. I'm gonna put a link here so you can see what I'm talking about. There are a few other suppliers for the needed parts to make a cartridge pen but the challenge to me is, can ya make it from a real bullet. These pens are really popular and as soon as I make one somebody buys it. A couple of guys are sending me the goods and as soon as I get one made I'll post a picture so you can if it worked. Thanks again.
    Bill

Bullet Cartridge Pen Kits at Penn State Industries

old man Bill

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 12, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    I was told that one of the pen makers had his "pen" taken because the inspectors wouldn't believe it was a pen and not a real cartridge. Don't take one on a plane, you'll lose it. There are a bunch of guys making .50 cal pens but I think they're a bit bulky. Any bigger than that would be a table decoration, IMHO. There is a picture on my blogspot of one I made from a kit, it's on the last page I think. This ain't a commercial just a "if'n ya wanna peek" post.
    The Wood Butcher Shop
    Bill

Top Bottom