• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DanO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    NW IN
    Bapak - Hope I didn;t sound like a know it all, I'm always learning from better dog men than myself. Just wanted to outline the amount of work to get a good dog working for you.

Mutphy and Chicken - I understand your comments. We all have our favorite dogs based on what we've experienced and what we want to do. I wanted a large dog that was great in the house and with kids, but could do well on upland and waterfowl. I hunted over Brittanies for years and my Brohter in law still keeps a good Brittany that we hunt with; love them! He will go out 90 yards and lock up on a bird, then we run up to the bird in case the bird starts to run or flushes. They usuallly hold, but those Chinese Ditch Parrots can have a mind of their own.

THor is trained to hunt 30 yards out and then circle back. He has been very disciplined that way and seldom gets our of range and busts birds far out. He is an American lab rather than the British build and has very long legs. He busts through thickets and thorns with not problem, and has done well for me in all game we have tried. In a field he flags in a cricular pattern that can keep the roosters from escaping further down the field. The grouse hunt this fall was his first run at them and by day 4 we limited out before noon. He just had to figure out that particular species, and it was a joy to watch. We leave in 2 weeks to hunt ducks off of Cape Hatteras, and he won'r hesitate to retrieve in that cold water.

Murphy - We have been discussing a second dog and i'm thinking my next will be a Braque. Thor has a tough time in the heat and a smaller pointing dog would round out the family well, I think. I was surprised your Braque didn't do well in ke the thorns. Where did you go for yours? I was going to see 2 kennels up in Grand Rapids. You are dead right on the importance of a calm dog in the house. Thor is a house dog all year and hunter for 4-5 months. If he wasn;t chill at home it would be a problem.

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    I got my Braque in SD from Brad Boisen. He used to be in MN but had bought a hunting lodge in Plantinton, SD. Grand Ciel Lodge

If you are thinking about a Braque this is a good article and extremely accurate. Everything talked about in the article is true for my dog, your results may vary.

Braque Francais

Haven't heard of anyone else having trouble with the dogs in thorns. Maybe mine is just too civilized? He was about 1.5yrs old before he ever got into them. Had always hunted in the grasses for ditch chickens. Took me quite a while to figure out what his issue was too. He wanted to hunt but would suddenly just turn off. And I mean suddenly. Took me 5 years to figure out he hated the thorns and just said the hell with it. Quail aren't as fun as pheasants!

Great nose. Puts my other dogs to shame as well as my buddies German Shorthair and other guys two English Setters.

DanO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    NW IN
    THanks for the link. Best one I've read on Braques so far. WHat size is your Braque? Does he travel well?

Last edited:

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I got my Braque in SD from Brad Boisen. He used to be in MN but had bought a hunting lodge in Plantinton, SD. Grand Ciel Lodge

If you are thinking about a Braque this is a good article and extremely accurate. Everything talked about in the article is true for my dog, your results may vary.

Braque Francais

Thanks for sharing. This is a great read. It's been a while since I've been plugged into the pointer scene. I hadn't heard of this breed.

Last edited:

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    THanks for the link. Best one I've read on Braques so far. WHat size is your Braque? Does he travel well?

He is 49lbs and is an outstanding traveler. We have a place in FL that we drive to with the dog. He lays in the car silently until we stop and get him a little exercise, then hops back in and sits silently until we stop again. He's learned about hotels too.

He's generally a very quiet dog. Very little barking unless it's the UPS driver or someone rings the door bell or knocks. Otherwise he doesn't bark at all.

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    For you bird dog people. Took this pic after pheasant hunting in Illinois Sunday. Didn't get them all in the picture either. There were 15 cocks and 5 hens that we saw. Think several hens had slithered into the grass and stubble. Was good to see since this season was pretty poor. Bird numbers were pretty low overall but did find some pockets.

These were about 3 miles from the Indiana border.

bulbs.jpg

Top Bottom