• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Topher Durden

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Noblesville
    Im in indianapolis and i'm looking for a place to shoot a long rifle. I have been to TFT at Cool Creek and i enjoy shooting there, but i can't shoot a 30-06 or 300 win mag there....where can i go without having to drive an hour away?

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Wilbur Wright, is NEAR New Castle, only 50 yards, but High Powered rifles, allowed .....
    also, Crosley, 2 hours south, near North Vernon, I get up REAL early, to go south, and be there, by 8:00, am when they open, and have the whole range, to myself for a couple hour during the week .....
    also, they are open 7 days .... feel free to pm me, if you want to go ....
    Crosley, has 200 yard range ...

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    Wilbur Wright, is NEAR New Castle, only 50 yards, but High Powered rifles, allowed .....
    also, Crosley, 2 hours south, near North Vernon, I get up REAL early, to go south, and be there, by 8:00, am when they open, and have the whole range, to myself for a couple hour during the week .....
    also, they are open 7 days .... feel free to pm me, if you want to go ....
    Crosley, has 200 yard range ...

Crosley is the place to go to shoot long guns. The closer it gets to deer season, the busier it gets. Especially on the weekends.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    You want to be at least an hour away from Indy unless you are at a private club.

South or East, Crosley or Brookfield Reservoir ranges were my favorites. Brookfield was my first choice because I coud take my boat and fish too. I also liked the RO and the drive there and back.

Topher Durden

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Noblesville
    This is all very helpful. Im currently a pistol shooter looking to get a long rifle, but i wanted to know where i could shoot it before i made the purchase. I've got a buddy trying to sell me his Remington 700 30-06 that he never shoots because it is not convenient. I don't mind making a day of shooting so many of these options sound very appealing. Am I correct in assuming that most ppl reload their own ammo? that seems to be the most econnomic way to shoot a gun that costs $1.00 a round.
    Also, are there any long rifles that are going to have ammo for half this price or less? i'd like to pick up a "real" rifle, as I am currently shooting a .22 as my only rifle. I have a .40 Glock 22, and i purchased a .22 Sig Sauer so that i could shoot for much less. I'd be looking for A rifle variation of that. Maybe something that i can shoot for .25 cents a round. Any thoughts?....

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    If you are closer to the north side... Hamilton County Fish and game (HCFG.org) has a long rifle range up to 150 yards. It requires membership but you can also sweet talk a member into going with you and having you as their guest ($5).

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    This is all very helpful. Im currently a pistol shooter looking to get a long rifle, but i wanted to know where i could shoot it before i made the purchase. I've got a buddy trying to sell me his Remington 700 30-06 that he never shoots because it is not convenient. I don't mind making a day of shooting so many of these options sound very appealing. Am I correct in assuming that most ppl reload their own ammo? that seems to be the most econnomic way to shoot a gun that costs $1.00 a round.
    Also, are there any long rifles that are going to have ammo for half this price or less? i'd like to pick up a "real" rifle, as I am currently shooting a .22 as my only rifle. I have a .40 Glock 22, and i purchased a .22 Sig Sauer so that i could shoot for much less. I'd be looking for A rifle variation of that. Maybe something that i can shoot for .25 cents a round. Any thoughts?....
    YES, RELOAD .....

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    Am I correct in assuming that most ppl reload their own ammo? that seems to be the most econnomic way to shoot a gun that costs $1.00 a round.

Well, most people don't reload. It's probably not even a majority of people on forums like this who reload. Most shooters will go through a single box of ammo each year; 15 rounds sighting in the rifle, then 5 deer hunting. That's their whole firearms experience.
    But anyone who wants to shoot large quantities should seriously consider getting into loading.

I don't load .30-06, so I put this together roughly from Midway (NOTE: Do NOT use this load data). ~21¢ per bullet (Remington Core-Lokt) + ~.20¢ powder (56.0 grains H4350) + ~10¢ brass (50¢ per case with 5 firings figured) + ~4¢ primer comes out to 55¢ per round. And that's a mid-level load (according to Hodgdon) with a mid-range bullet and expensive primers. You can get that price even lower without trying too hard.

You can shoot commercial .223 (Wolf) for less than you can reload .30-06. It's usually around 25¢ per round. Many of the Russian rounds (5.45x39, 7.62x39, 7.62x54r) can be had commercially for under that price, too.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN

.223 is cheap, 7.62x39 is less. You could get a Saiga for pretty cheap, same with an SKS. Moving up in price would be an AR or an AK. Last but certainly not least, a Mossin is about $100 and is super cheap to shoot.

Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus
    The range at Atterbury would be my suggestion. Very safe, well-run plcae. I don't think they place any limit on what you can shoot, calibre-wise. I'm pretty sure that I've heard some guys cutting loose with 105 howitzers!

Pyriel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Carmel
    The range at Atterbury would be my suggestion. Very safe, well-run plcae. I don't think they place any limit on what you can shoot, calibre-wise. I'm pretty sure that I've heard some guys cutting loose with 105 howitzers!
    Tried that once, but the range master stopped us when we tried to stake it down.:D.....but seriously Atterbury is a very clean range, they don't mess around when it comes to safety and I've seen everything there short of a .50BMG. At $6 an hour it's not gonna break the bank to make a day of it.

Top Bottom