• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Im sure there is already a thread about that on INGO but I couldnt find it.

Where is it illegal to carry in Indiana with a LTCH?

All I could find was this:

"It is illegal to carry a concealed weapon, even sporting arms, on school property or on a school bus, on an airplane or in the controlled section of an airport, on a riverboat gambling cruise, or at the Indiana State Fair."

I already read that it was illegal to carry in a federal building but I coudln't find the text about that.

Does that mean that its also illegal to carry a hangun in a post office building?

Do I have to assume that all the places where its not illegal to carry are therefore legal?

Like public transports (buses and train but not school buses), I always heard it was illegal to carry a gun in a bus but it doesnt say anything about that does it?
    I know some buses have a "no gun sign" but its not a legal document and doesnt mean anything to me. :dunno:

Or public places with "no weapon policy" like a library.
    Can that legally stop you from carrying your gun?

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Start here;
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...16185-ingunowners_faqs_sticky.html#post187167

Im sure there is already a thread about that on INGO but I couldnt find it.

Where is it illegal to carry in Indiana with a LTCH?

All I could find was this:

"It is illegal to carry a concealed weapon, even sporting arms, on school property or on a school bus, on an airplane or in the controlled section of an airport, on a riverboat gambling cruise, or at the Indiana State Fair."

I already read that it was illegal to carry in a federal building but I coudln't find the text about that.

Does that mean that its also illegal to carry a hangun in a post office building?
    That is still debated. Many folks carry (even OC) at their Post Office with no issues.

Do I have to assume that all the places where its not illegal to carry are therefore legal?
    Yep. Tends to work out that way. Unless specifically noted as off-limits, it is legal.

Like public transports (buses and train but not school buses), I always heard it was illegal to carry a gun in a bus but it doesnt say anything about that does it?
    I know some buses have a "no gun sign" but its not a legal document and doesnt mean anything to me. :dunno:
    Typically not illegal, but local ordinance may make it so. Some businesses may have their own policy as well. For instance, IndyGo (the buses) maye have a "no firearms" rule, but Indianapolis does not have a city code that backs it up. Indy Parks, however, does have a city ordinance banning firearms.

Or public places with "no weapon policy" like a library.
    Can that legally stop you from carrying your gun?
    Again, local ordinances.

Basically, you need to know local, state, and federal law.

Local laws can only control carry on government-owned or administered property. Parks and government buildings, for instance. They cannot control "public places", like the sidewalk.

Private property, including businesses, can have their own policies. These are not laws, but can be enforced by asking you to leave. Failure to comply isn't a firearms issue, but trespass.

The FAQ (linked above) does a much better job at detailing this than I can!

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Start here;
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...16185-ingunowners_faqs_sticky.html#post187167

That is still debated. Many folks carry (even OC) at their Post Office with no issues.

Yep. Tends to work out that way. Unless specifically noted as off-limits, it is legal.

Typically not illegal, but local ordinance may make it so. Some businesses may have their own policy as well. For instance, IndyGo (the buses) maye have a "no firearms" rule, but Indianapolis does not have a city code that backs it up. Indy Parks, however, does have a city ordinance banning firearms.

Again, local ordinances.

Basically, you need to know local, state, and federal law.

Local laws can only control carry on government-owned or administered property. Parks and government buildings, for instance. They cannot control "public places", like the sidewalk.

Private property, including businesses, can have their own policies. These are not laws, but can be enforced by asking you to leave. Failure to comply isn't a firearms issue, but trespass.

The FAQ (linked above) does a much better job at detailing this than I can!

Thanks a lot!
    You did a great job, im going to check the link. :ingo:

WaltherFan

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    EM69XX aka Fishers
    Indiana Code 35-47-9

IC 35-47-9-1
    Exemptions from chapter
    Sec. 1. This chapter does not apply to the following:
    (1) A:
    (A) federal;
    (B) state; or
    (C) local;
    law enforcement officer.
    (2) A person who has been employed or authorized by:
    (A) a school; or
    (B) another person who owns or operates property being used by a school for a school function;
    to act as a security guard, perform or participate in a school function, or participate in any other activity authorized by a school.
    (3) A person who:
    (A) may legally possess a firearm; and
    (B) possesses the firearm in a motor vehicle that is being operated by the person to transport another person to or from a school or a school function.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    Indiana Code 35-47-9

IC 35-47-9-1
    Exemptions from chapter
    (1) A:
    (A) federal;
    (B) state; or
    (C) local;
    law enforcement officer.
    (A) a school; or
    (B) another person who owns or operates property being used by a school for a school function;
    to act as a security guard, perform or participate in a school function, or participate in any other activity authorized by a school.

(3) A person who:
    (B) possesses the firearm in a motor vehicle that is being operated by the person to transport another person to or from a school or a school function.

Don't forget THIS part...

This means to me that if you have the school's permission ("authorization"), you can carry there. Now, this obviously won't happen with public schools, but private schools may be a different matter.

TJSieling

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 10, 2010
    Indianapolis - West Side
    Indiana Code 35-47-9

IC 35-47-9-1
    Exemptions from chapter
    (1) A:
    (A) federal;
    (B) state; or
    (C) local;
    law enforcement officer.
    (A) a school; or

(3) A person who:

So my teacher can carry a gun at school? I can't?!

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    In Michigan bars are a no-no. In Indiana it is legal but not advisable if you are drinkning.

Agree with you.
    Yes because something is legal doesnt mean you should do it.
    If you carry in a bar and drink (im talking to the point where it would be illegal to drive) while carrying your gun that's a BAD idea.
    If you dont drink or just drink a little I fine.

PeaShooter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Check out Bryan Ciyou's book, Indiana Handgun Law, Third Edition. He is a site advertiser and has probably the most comprehensive text on the Indiana law. In this edition, he actually went through every local jurisditiction and found all of the gun related laws. He also explains the federal laws and give examples.

PeaShooter

Top Bottom