• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Went to Gander Mountain to pick up my Remington 783. Signs at the front say no carry, so I was surprised to see a guy in a red t-shirt with an OC Glock, and the t-shirt very specifically tucked in behind the handgun. The employees weren't saying anything, so I figured he was special. On my second glance, I realized there was no mag. Which made me even more confused. Open carrying, totally empty, seems like just doing it for show.

Or perhaps he was looking for a new holster for it, and unloaded in his car.

Interesting on the no carry sign at Gander. Unless they`ve changed their policy, they have welcomed carry, open or concealed.

Per their website they still do.
    Conceal Carry Policy | Help Center | Gander Mountain
    Our customers that are legally carrying a firearm concealed on their person or openly as State Law permits are welcome in our stores.

We do ask that customers bringing in firearms or bows for repair or quotes bring them in cased and check them in at the service desk, so that we can ensure they are handled safely while in our possession.

Last edited:

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    That's interesting. I didn't look when I went on Saturday because I didn't really care (same as usual). I recall seeing a sign that asked for carriers to check their weapon or something to that effect.

It also makes the no-mag status interestinger. He was definitely looking for a firearm, because he had a number like I did.

Maybe he was looking for a handgun to match a magazine....

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    That's interesting. I didn't look when I went on Saturday because I didn't really care (same as usual). I recall seeing a sign that asked for carriers to check their weapon or something to that effect.

It also makes the no-mag status interestinger. He was definitely looking for a firearm, because he had a number like I did.

Maybe he was looking for a handgun to match a magazine....

Did the sign perhaps look something like this?
    carry-and-conceal.jpg

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I honestly can't remember. :) FWIW, as a habitual CCer, if I know the place isn't a statutory GFZ,* I don't pay any attention. That way, if asked, I can honestly respond that I didn't see the sign. :D

*If it is a statutory GFZ, I already know, so don't need any signs. :)

Shadow8088

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Got my LTCH in October... Been OCing everywhere... including potential GFZs. Aside from one dirty look my first week in, I haven't had a single issue. No cops, no "OMG He's got a gun!!", or even anyone politely asking me to leave because I was making people uncomfortable.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad to be out there normalizing legal firearms in public, but I honestly thought someone would have said something by now. I really wouldn't mind if it happened while my wife dragged me out shopping...

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Got my LTCH in October... Been OCing everywhere... including potential GFZs. Aside from one dirty look my first week in, I haven't had a single issue. No cops, no "OMG He's got a gun!!", or even anyone politely asking me to leave because I was making people uncomfortable.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad to be out there normalizing legal firearms in public, but I honestly thought someone would have said something by now. I really wouldn't mind if it happened while my wife dragged me out shopping...

I've been carrying for around 25 years.
    I've been OCing for around 5 or 6 of those.

So, I was talking to a book store owner, that I've known my whole life, and is a liberal.
    He made the claim, that he thought he could tell if a man was carrying a gun.
    So I said something like, "Oh really? Would you know when I was?"
    Then I told him I was not only carrying, but I was Open Carrying a friggin Model 19 S&W on my hip.
    Not exactly hard to see.
    So he looked, and was surprised.
    Asked me how long I had been carrying.
    I told him how long carrying, and open carrying.
    He couldn't believe it.
    I told him to believe it, I was carrying right in front of him even talking about carrying guns, and he didn't notice.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy

So, I was talking to a book store owner, that I've known my whole life, and is a liberal.
    Then I told him I was not only carrying, but I was Open Carrying a friggin Model 19 S&W on my hip.
    Not exactly hard to see.
    He couldn't believe it.
    I told him to believe it, I was carrying right in front of him even talking about carrying guns, and he didn't notice.

I think liberals/anti-gunners have this idea that no one has any self-control, because they don't (as evidenced by the riots, beaten Trump supporters, etc). They take that to an extreme and believe people carrying weapons are going to use them every time they get upset, which the sane among us realize isn't true. When someone conceal carries, they can convince themselves they are "safe", but open carrying, if noticed, causes them to have this irrational fear. It's the only thing I can come up with... :dunno:

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    Speedway Gas station on Madison/County Line in Greenwood. Guy, blue jeans, tucked in black polo shirt, leather OWB right side at 3-4 next to a silver badge of sorts. This was over the weekend.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

Not exactly hard to see.
    He couldn't believe it.

In my experience, that's much more common and than the eagle-eye who can spot a concealed .22 mini revolver in a drawer in your house back home.

Not an open carry situation, but related to your point: Years ago when I was working at the gun shop, the owner was speaking with a couple from Illinois. The husband wanted the wife to get a gun, but she didn't want one. The discussion turned to carrying guns being illegal. The owner mentioned that it wasn't illegal in Indiana. The wife was shocked, but too proud to let it go. She insisted that it was pointless to conceal a gun for carry because she could tell immediately if someone had a gun. So the owner chuckled and pointed at me and asked her if I was carrying a gun. She said there was no way I was carrying a gun, at which point the owner asked me to raise my shirt. The wife was . . . surprised. To her credit, she realized how wrong she was about spotting guns and by extension, everything else she believed about them. She then got interested in the .38s and the bought one for her to transfer to a shop on their side of the line.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    In my experience, that's much more common and than the eagle-eye who can spot a concealed .22 mini revolver in a drawer in your house back home.

Not an open carry situation, but related to your point: Years ago when I was working at the gun shop, the owner was speaking with a couple from Illinois. The husband wanted the wife to get a gun, but she didn't want one. The discussion turned to carrying guns being illegal. The owner mentioned that it wasn't illegal in Indiana. The wife was shocked, but too proud to let it go. She insisted that it was pointless to conceal a gun for carry because she could tell immediately if someone had a gun. So the owner chuckled and pointed at me and asked her if I was carrying a gun. She said there was no way I was carrying a gun, at which point the owner asked me to raise my shirt. The wife was . . . surprised. To her credit, she realized how wrong she was about spotting guns and by extension, everything else she believed about them. She then got interested in the .38s and the bought one for her to transfer to a shop on their side of the line.

Only showed them one?

Microairman1

Marksman
    Rating - 85.7%
    6   1   0
    May 9, 2016
    New carlisle
    Sorta joining this thread as I happened to see another open carrier(should say semi open carry) tonight. Walmart in laporte. Younger guy, uncle mikes soft holster. Top of gun was partially covered by a tight tshirt but he was definitely try I g to open carry. Not sure of gun model, not full size but close to it.

Top Bottom