Where do I get a good tailored suit? (Indy area)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I'm looking for a place in the Indy/Fishers/Carmel area to get a quality tailored suit and a couple of fitted dress shirts.

I'm not looking for a place like Jos A. Bank where you buy one of the rack and then have it tailored. I want a guy that will take the measurements and make it custom. (Gun friendly preferred to account for IWB carry)

It should be good quality but it doesn't have to be super trendy high fashion. It just needs to fit me well.

Budget is in the range of $500-$750.

Where do all of INGOs sharp dressers get their threads?

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Leon isn't that far out of the way. It was actually the first place that came to mind. I just haven't had experience with them and I know they aren't cheap.

They have on online coupon for $200 off, but that's only good on suits $1200 and up.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    I

I'm not looking for a place like Jos A. Bank where you buy one of the rack and then have it tailored. I want a guy that will take the measurements and make it custom. (Gun friendly preferred to account for IWB carry)

Budget is in the range of $500-$750.
    ...?

I'd like to hear about a place that does this for that price range.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Wait for Jos. A. Banks to have a 3 for 1 sale on their Signature Gold line of suits. These are what I wear on office days.

Great suits for the dough. Then go find a tailor. You'll have 3 suits for $750 to 850.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Wait for Jos. A. Banks to have a 3 for 1 sale on their Signature Gold line of suits. These are what I wear on office days.

Great suits for the dough. Then go find a tailor. You'll have 3 suits for $750 to 850.

Kirk make a great point. Go get a decent suit, then go have it fitted properly to you.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth

I've tried Jos A. Bank. I can't seem to find anything there that works for me, and I've had less than stellar service the past few times I've been in.

It also doesn't help that I know they mark their stuff up ridiculously high so they can offer the buy one get three free sale.

I really want to invest in a least one quality suit. I guess I'll need to bite the bullet and raise the budget. :spend:

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Good luck finding a bespoke suit for that price stateside.
    Exactly! If Jos. A Bank doesn't work for you, try Von Maur, name brand rack suits, and find a tailor. Even then Ralph Lauren will run you $6-800 after tailoring, a Calvin Klein a little less depending on cut and style!
    I personally like the Banks suits, the mid and top tier versions, but have them altered in Plainfield at a Korean tailor.

Jomibe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2013
    Hendricks County
    When I got married last year I got a bespoke tuxedo at Leons downtown, ended up being a little over $1,200 if I remember right.

$500-$700 will be a little light I think. I recommend what others are saying, buy a nice suit off the rack and have it tailored. Probably just as nice.

a.bentonab

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 22, 2009
    Evansville
    Leon's without a doubt. They have a semi custom option that I did last year exactly in your price range. It's a basic design (notch lapel, 3 button, single breast, somewhat limited fabric selection) but they measure and cut every piece custom for you.

The he other place I've had the best luck with suits was Macy's when they have a one day sale. They have them several times a year. Best deal ever on a suit was a three piece in a weird size that was on the clearance rack. Had a tailor fix it up to fit just right at a fraction of the original price. This only works if the item is within 1-2 " of your needed size.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

This, buy off the rack, and go get it altered. Looks the part, and will save you a TON of money. My grandfather taught me this eons ago.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Well, there's a difference between an 'altered' suit from off the rack, and a custom-made 'bespoke' suit. For bespoke suits, typically (in 2014) you're typically looking in the $1500 - $2500 +/- price range, unless you're traveling to foreign lands, LOL.

Personally, never had and don't own any off the rack suits that weren't, at the very least, altered and tailored. Especially so when wearing a firearm, as those darn suit makers just don't seem to want to accommodate us gun-toting folks, LOL.

For off-the rack (subsequently altered), suggest sticking to 'Classic' and 'Straight' styles, rather than 'Slim Fit' or 'Modern' styles, as the more classic styles work much better with carrying a firearm, and allow greater latitude for the tailor / seamstress to work alterations for specific body shapes.

Top Bottom