Where do you find a "classic" handgun besides Gunbroker?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    I'm looking into getting into the collecting side. Not collecting for collecting sake, but getting something I can shoot. But something that has some history behind it.

I've been especially smitten with the Colt 1903 and 1908 pistols. But I don't know where to look to get a nice one?

Buying a new gun off of Gunbroker seems safe enough, but I have no idea how it works for something that is an "antique". What kind of recourse is there if it doesn't work? Or if the condition doesn't match the pictures?

For that reason, I mainly look local. Are there any good sources here in Indiana?

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    armslist
    armsamerica
    gunbroker

plus there are various auction houses the specialized in guns

Probably your best bet is word of mouth. I'm known around the country as one of the experts in collecting Detonics original factory pistols. I don't consider myself an expert, but many others do. That said, I get contacted by people from all around the nation regarding valuations, offers to buy, sell, etc on a pretty regular basis. I'm members of several forums and a collectors group, using the same screen name for each. People searching for or selling the pistols I collect will eventually find me.

So pick what type/brand/model of gun you want to collect. Join a collectors group on the internet, or if there are multiple groups join all of them. Post to those groups that you are new to collecting but want to start out and ask questions, etc. I'm willing to bet there are several Colt collectors associations, each with their own internet forum. I'd also bet there are sub-groups dedicated just to the 1903 model and another for the 1908 model.

I've been collecting the original factory Detonics CombatMasters for years, I have one of the largest collections in the world (based on what others tell me) with many dozens of different variations, and I know I am still missing quite a few variations.

David

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2011
    Auctionarms.com is the NRAs auction site, I bought an antique rifle there recently. Gunsamerica is a gun classified site that has some of everything.

vork08

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    NWI
    Probably your best bet is word of mouth.

Agree 100%. Good Luck falls on those best prepared to receive it.
    Research, Research, Research(which I'm sure you've already done), and Talk, Talk, Talk. You'll find what what you're looking for.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I've been especially smitten with the Colt 1903 and 1908 pistols. But I don't know where to look to get a nice one?
    You might want to try the Colt Collector's Show.

For anyone who doesn't already know, the Colt Collectors association will be putting on their annual All Colt Show Sept 29th through October 1st in Kansas City Missouri at the Westin Crown Center. If you can make it, this stunning show is worth the effort to get there. There will be a show floor where products are sold and traded and there will be amazing displays of some of the rarest colts on the planet (Only Colt products are allowed).

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    There are always "classics" aplenty at the 1500. There are more than a few vendors who ONLY have "classics". One guy specializes in S&W revolvers... Another in early 1911 military-issue pistols... One guy I've seen has a BOAT load of old Colt 1903 vest pistols.

And, every once in a while, I seem some nice stuff in local gun shops, too. If you're in a particular shop regularly, perhaps ask them to be on the look out for whatever it is you're looking for.

Stuff turns up frequently. The big hurdle is being able to know enough about what it is you're looking for so you don't get taken for a ride financially.

-J-

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    Thanks all. I've been checking out all the links.

Funny part is I saw some at some small show a while back (when I didn't really know anything about them) and haven't seen many since.

I guess I'm going to have find somebody with one that I can see and hold as condition varies so much on these.

If I understand it correctly, usually un-refinished/un-restored go for more than something that has been cleaned up/re-blued?

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I will give out a bit of advise here.

If you are looking for a certain gun it seems you can never find it for sale at a price i can afford to spend on one. As soon as i stop actively looking then one seems to find me.

Widen your makes and models. Looking for a good deal on a mint quality gun. If you are open to other items more deals are available. Then you have trade items also often allowing a deal on the one you are looking for. I have got nice items in the local papers (Back in the day), gunshops, pawn shops, the INDY 1500, The net and here.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Widen your makes and models. Looking for a good deal on a mint quality gun. If you are open to other items more deals are available. Then you have trade items also often allowing a deal on the one you are looking for. I have got nice items in the local papers (Back in the day), gunshops, pawn shops, the INDY 1500, The net and here.

As a serious collector with a large collection I would actually give you exactly the OPPOSITE advice. Don't waste time on things you don't want to collect.

If you want to collect Colt 1903 models then stick with them but make yourself an expert before you plunk down any money on your first one. Learn how many different calibers and finishes where made for that model. Learn how many years it was made. Learn to tell the differences between the years if there were differences between the years like changes in the grips, changes in the engraving, changes to the sights, etc. Were there different barrel lengths or different models of 1903 like a target model, pocket model, etc. All the same applies to the 1908.

It is easier to have a collection if you specialize and know what you are doing within that specialty. Then, within that specialty condition is the critical factor.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Sorry I just had to brag...

IMG_1638Large.jpg

IMG_1637Large.jpg

IMG_1636Large.jpg

Found this one by chance. It had NO finish left and was a little rusty but fired every one of the rounds left in it for about 36 years loaded with no trouble so I bought it and parkerized it. I love it.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I can't stand GB-- would never use them ever again-- totally corrupt unprofessional group of thugs--

Enquiring minds want to know what the heck happened to you :dunno:

Personally I've never had a bad experience with GunsAmerica, GunBroker or ArmsList. I've had hundreds of dealings via GunBroker and dozens with the other auction/listing sites and none have been bad.

Bikerdad61

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    Sullivan
    I'm A Collector of single action revolvers and this old model Super Blackhawk 3 screw was my first purchase off of Gunbroker.com
    While a picture is worth a thousand words, they never tell the whole story. You have to know what you want, have a good idea of what the gun condition should be, as it is described, look at the sellers past feedback on sales he has made, and deceide if your willing to take the risk based on what it's going to cost you. The majority of sellers on these sites are reputable individuals, you just have to weed out the bad ones. Many of the sellers have a 3 day (no shoot, no dissasemble) return policy.
    I feel Gunbroker (like Ebay for other items) is one of the best.

Incedently, I was blown away by the Blackhawk when I received it :D
    Just what I was looking for and for $408.00 shipped, it was a heck of a deal.

44MAG3SCREW.jpg

Arm America

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    West of Greenwood
    Food for thought, and not knowing your location,
    the Louisville Gun Shows are one of the best for vintage,
    collectible firearms in our area.

I drool from the time i walk in until the time I walk out.
    Pretty impressive.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I have noticed the more rural a gun shop is the more collectable stuff they seem to have. I don't know why that is. I know Dale at Sport Garden 256 amazes me with some of the guns he has in that shop. Also you want to find a place where the employees don't squirrel away the collectibles and they actually get in the cases. I was looking through my cases the other day and had to physically restrain myself from taking home a Type 14 Nambu with the holster and a 3 screw Blackhawk with the 9mm cylinder. I filled out the 4476 and took the Ruger home and then two days later took it back and put it back on the books again. It was guilt. As my wife says in retail you actually have to SELL the guns, not take them home every time your heart flutters.:xmad:

Top Bottom