Where do you keep your home defense shotgun?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I bought a couple vinyl coated bicycle hooks and mounted them right above the bedroom door. My 12 ga hangs right over the doorway on my way out of the bedroom. High enough that the grand kids can't get to it and handy as heck if I need it in a hurry. If someone didn't know it was there, it would rarely be noticed.

Amen...and ditto!

Glock on the night stand...Remington 870 Tactical mounted inside and above the door to my closet...3 steps away! (The Glock is in case I don't make it to the Remington...and becomes then it becomes the back-up for the wife!) Remington is loaded with #3 Shot...

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I bought a couple vinyl coated bicycle hooks and mounted them right above the bedroom door. My 12 ga hangs right over the doorway on my way out of the bedroom. High enough that the grand kids can't get to it and handy as heck if I need it in a hurry. If someone didn't know it was there, it would rarely be noticed.

Amen...and ditto!

Glock on the night stand...Remington 870 Tactical mounted inside and above the door to my closet...3 steps away! (The Glock is in case I don't make it to the Remington...and then it becomes the back-up for the wife!) Remington is loaded with #3 Shot...

bluewraith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Akron
    In the corner of the bedroom next to my bed, by the front door and by the back door.

Strangely, I don't think I would like to arm an unarmed burgler.. If I saw a shotgun or a big screen tv, I already know the first item I would grab.

That is.. unless you just want to give them a fighting chance. :n00b:

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    leaned in a corner of a nearby closet. I have an XD 40 within arms reach of my bed. That should be enough to get me to the closet. Also have an AK in the closet too if the Zombies escalate the situation.....

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Anderson
    It's been hinted at a few times.

You gotta find a happy medium between keeping it handy enough to be useful in a situation where you need it, but also kept somewhere so anyone without authorized access cannot access it (children, bad guys, etc.). It's possible that if you gun is NOT locked up (ie: hidden under a bed, above a closet door, etc) that an overzealous prosecutor could try and hold you responsible for failing to keep the gun away from an unauthorized person.

I recently read an article (sorry, I don't have the link) where a gun owner was charged (not yet gone to trial) with a crime (negligence?) because his home was broken into and one of the items stolen was a handgun under the mattress (not in Indiana). The burglar was caught and he was a felon. The prosecutor is trying to argue that because the gun was not locked up in some fashion (in some kind of gun vault) that the home owner was negligent as to the possible dangers of a felon accessing his improperly secured firearm.

I am NOT suggesting that you keep your HD weapon locked up all the time. If it were locked up all the time, then in the stress of a home invasion, you're likely to fumble with the keys or code to unlock your vault buying the bad guy time. I am suggesting you think of some kind of reasonable solution so that it is available to you when you need it, but it is properly secured when you're not home, or children are around, or even people unfamiliar with firearms are in your home.

Sweetums

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lake County
    I keep mine on a Mossberg Loc-Box mounted on the wall behind my bedroom door. When the door is open, you wouldn't know that it's there. I also use the rubber/plastic coated bicycle hooks to store long guns in a walk in closet (but those are not for defense, merely storage).

I keep my key to the Loc-Box on my everyday key ring, and when I go to bed I simply insert the key, turn it to unlock, and leave the keys there. When I leave, I lock it and go. That way I'm not forgetting to lock/unlock it.

boblade

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 31, 2011
    I have 1 in 3 rooms of the house that have a door,and 1 by the Bed High enough to reach,if you have a small child in home,better to keep it where it is secure with safty on and NONE in the Pipe.

Top Bottom