Where do you keep your Home Defense Shotgun?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RoosterJC

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Carmel, IN
    Decided to fix up my Remington 870 for home defense. I have been keeping it locked up for years and going with HG. But now I'd like it to be a little more accessible quickly without going through X number of locks to get it if I need it.
    So the question is: How do I make it easy to get to for me (or my family) but not so easy it could be stolen while we're away from home a few hours?

What do you do?
    Secret compartment? Under the bed? Top shelf in closet?
    I'd like to hear good (better) ideas.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    If no one is to be home It is in the safe. When home it is close. never ever leave any gun un-secured when you are away. Nuff said.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Walk only 6" into your closet. Turn around. Look up. That's where you put a few hooks or a shelf. You can grab it easily and it is out of sight from most prying eyes. NOT FOR A TRUE WALK IN CLOSET.

Dave Doehrman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I bought a couple vinyl coated bicycle hooks (for hanging your bike) and screwed them in right over the doorway leading out of our bedroom. The weapon is high enough that youngsters can't reach it. It can't be seen unless you're in the bedroom and most people don't even notice it. Its handy and easy to grab on the way out of the bedroom. I don't have any kids at home so I don't have to worry about securing it unless I know the grand kids are coming over.

My primary nightstand weapon is an HK45C with the red laser and I have a Surefire E2D Defender right next to my head. The shotty is more of a backup for me.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    I live out where I have had all kinds of critters too.... 1 in the barn.. 1 in the garage.. do like the above the closet. No kids around so in the house there put up anyway....... Thanks

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I have a small gun safe in my bedroom. When we're home, the door's open. When we leave, its locked. Easy enough, really, plus I carry around the house.

Reid

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    The bike hooks idea is excellent, gonna give it a try. I have had mine leaned it the corner if the closet right behind some t-shirts.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    2748B616-DA0A-4B02-89A4-7130F68BE075-9323-00000F816B72B667_zps9ee99787.jpg

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    I have a small gun safe in my bedroom. When we're home, the door's open. When we leave, its locked. Easy enough, really, plus I carry around the house.

Me too :yesway:

The key to the safe is on the key ring with my front door and car keys. I cannot remove the key from the safe without locking it. I cannot lock the front door of my house from the outside without my keys and I cannot take off in my car without having locked my safe.

I'm pretty dumb so I need good systems.

Top Bottom