• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • USMCsergeant

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2011
    Vincennes
    Just wondering where all the AK47 fans get their mags and/or accessories at? Any preference on types of mags? Any other things you would recommend to a new AK owner? Thanks in advance.

Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    Just shop around on the net for the cheapest places. Find out which mags work well for you gun. I know not all AK mags are created equal.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I tend to stick with military surplus mags. The steel ones work great, as well as heavy duty polymer ones like Bulgarian ((10)) / ((21)), Russian, E. German, Polish, etc.... The only American made mags I've had 100% function with are US Palm. Stay away from Tapco and ProMag if you can help it.

I like to leave my AK's as simple as possible. That way, regardless which AK i pick up, I'm proficient in operating it. I do change the grip out often with a US Palm or Izhmash (Ronin makes a great 922 compliant copy) because I have pretty big hands. If you want to mount a red dot, the side mounts are tough to beat. But the Ultimak works great as well, especially if you want to mount a light too.

Probably the most important thing I would recommend is getting some training soley based on the AK platform. Rather than try to make your AK operate like an AR with aftermarket parts, learn how to adapt to it. DVD's are also very helpful, and can teach you a lot of tricks. Gabe Suarez has a lot of great information, and you should also check out Sonny Puzika's "Panteo Make Ready". He's very long winded, does some pretty weird manuavers, but his weapon manipulation drills really helped me out.

KVAR is the AK super store, but many sites like Aim and Primary Arms carry cool stuff as well.

indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Alpha site
    Ak files forum is where i get most of my AK gear and hard to find comm block gear.
    Better than any shop anywhere 100% and its always stocked.

Also Ak files is a great site for the AK lovers, the site is well laid out and very informative.
    Perfect for the novice and aware.

If ya join tell em INDY K sent cha.

Stubz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    May 2, 2011
    Alexandria, IN
    Just going to echo what these already have said. I stick with Surplus steel mags, but hope the Magpul AK PMAG that is coming will be worth anything. A USPALM AKBG grip is the #1 up-grade you can do, just my opinion though. I'm a big fan of the Damage Industries rail set, if you're leaning that way (railed fore ends I mean).

Echo Nine Three <-- Echo 9 3 makes a single point adaptor for AK's that slips between the receiver and the pistol grip. If you want to run a single point sling, they're a good piece of kit.

US PALM also makes top notch nylon that is AK specific, if you lean to that end.

indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Alpha site
    Everything shoots in an ak it doesnt care.
    Watch out for Norinco/Chinese ammo the stuff is hot, also the Yugo brass is "mildly" corrosive of course due to the salts in the primers.
    There is NO reason an Ak should not shoot one brand vs another, might get different performance but other than that your ak should shoot everything.

Mags, well,,
    Some Tapco mags might fit snug, but are solid and come in many flavors
    U.S. palm, Magpul are new to the game and are quality and afforable, they come in od green, tan, brown, all your earth tones.

Stay away from Master Molder mags. And other light weight plastic NON POLYMER mags that are welded at the seam, these bust apart after a few uses or weeks in storage, also these will come with thin, non reinforced feed lips which will break or chip apart after a few uses.

Expect to pay premium for Russian waffle and 100 series mags, 20rd Hungarian tanker, Bulgarian circle 10's in all flavor but black, russian tula, izzy, and Norinco bakelite mags,

If you get an older comm block mag and your rounds fall out from the mag you will need to replace the mags spring.

Hope to see you at the files!

Last edited:

Stubz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    May 2, 2011
    Alexandria, IN
    For ammo I tend to 3 places: Gun shows and these two websites- Military Shooters LLC and SGAmmo. Mostly feed mine Brown Bear and Golden Tiger but it's not hiccup'd on the odd Yugo, Tula, random white boxed Russian stuff.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    CDNN has been my go to internet source, good prices and decent delivery times. I have never had a problem with my AK or mags for it. I use only metal from east com-blok mags. Jim.

Top Bottom