Where does a gentleman go to get schooled on Wheelguns?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nalees

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    West Lafayette, IN
    I'm not much of a revolver guy, but my dad sure is. He has a full stable of Colts and is starting to build up his S&W collection too. I was shooting them yesterday along with my semis and thought... "Hmm it would be fun to have one of these as an ankle gun"

So, with no real knowledge of wheel guns, where could I go to find out more than I'd ever want to know?

Ideally I think a 2.5" size barrel in 357/.38+ would be sweet, but I know there are a ton of options in that size. I suppose around $400 or less would be a sweet spot for a backup gun too.

71silverbullet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Oct 30, 2010
    Southern, In
    Sounds like your dads house os the place to go to get schooled!
    There are several forums like this one dedicated to wheel guns, do a google search on Smith & Wesson forums or colt, taurus, revolver forums ect.
    $400 price range would get a decent used smith, nothing in colt and close on a new taurus

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    nalees, I have been there, done that. Check out the Charter Arms "undercover" in 38 spl. It is even better as a boot gun than a smiths chiefs special. I think even new they are within your budget. I have bought and sold several chiefs specials, and a couple were pretty accurate, a couple were poor. My current charter arms is pretty accurate and rides fine in my boot. Since I kind of know you, I would let you try it if we can put together a time. Let me know

shootinghoosier

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2010
    Indy
    Take a trip over to the Sand Burr Gun Ranch in Rochester, IN and spend some time with Dennis Reichard. He runs a couple of snubby and revolver courses. From what I hear, you will learn a bunch.

nalees

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    West Lafayette, IN
    Leo, I may take you up on that. Perhaps we can arrange a trip to Applied Ballistics sometime. :)

I'll do some google-fu to see what I can find. I figured I'd ask here first in case there was a resident expert.

686 Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Huntington County
    Just my two cents worth, S&W 642 makes an excellent little revolver, no hammer to get hung up on anything, it would make a great ankle gun. Also look at the Ruger LCR also a nice little gun, very lightweight. I am a "revolver guy" and own both of these guns. I would recommend either of them. The Smith has more grip selections so you can shop around for a set that fits your hand.

Fireaxes

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 23, 2010
    Wabash County
    I'm a bit of a wheelgun nut myself. I'd hate to know how much time a Smith 442 has spent riding on my ankle the past 12 years or so.

Just buy a decent ankle holster, my Galco ankle glove is still going strong after all this time.

686 Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Huntington County
    I personally don't see a disadvantage to not having a hammer for a personal protection weapon, if you use a revolver in single action mode, it makes it too easy to have an accidental discharge. Double action makes you pull the trigger very deliberate.

Fireaxes

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 23, 2010
    Wabash County
    are there any cons to having a hammerless gun?

None that matter.

Some people complain that you can't cock the hammer for a lighter trigger if you are trying to make a precision shot. I've seen lots of people shoot double action only revolvers better than they could a similar gun while cocking the hammer.

686 Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Huntington County
    When you hear a noise at night and have your gun in hand, walk around the corner and are face to face with a family member, you will be glad that hammer isn't cocked.

Last edited:

MillieBeast

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2011
    I would ask the most interesting man in the world, he doesn't always carry an ankle gun but when he does he prefers a S & W. (642 and 442 are both excellent options)

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    A gentleman goes to gun school.

Sand Burr Ranch was an excellent recommendation. Denny is a master with a Smith and Wesson. I still have Smiths that he worked over years ago.

Sand Burr Gun Ranch: Home

My friend Denny:

14.jpg

And, a gentleman listens to those with decades of teaching this stuff:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOVWwOahGf8

AverageMidwest

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fishers
    I'm not much of a revolver guy, but my dad sure is. He has a full stable of Colts and is starting to build up his S&W collection too. I was shooting them yesterday along with my semis and thought... "Hmm it would be fun to have one of these as an ankle gun"

So, with no real knowledge of wheel guns, where could I go to find out more than I'd ever want to know?

Ideally I think a 2.5" size barrel in 357/.38+ would be sweet, but I know there are a ton of options in that size. I suppose around $400 or less would be a sweet spot for a backup gun too.
    Check smithandwessonforums.com for more than you need (or want) to know. Be advised; if you think the 1911 vs Glock debate gets old, wait til you hear the S and W shooters vs the Ruger shooters.....hey, it's all good.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    For a thousand dollars plus an egg salad sandwich, I will teach you everything you think you should know about revolvers.

I mean, everything you need to know about revolvers.

I really will. PM me. I'm serious. I take Visa, MC, and Discover.

Top Bottom