• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    In case you hadn’t noticed, we are in the midst of an ammunition, primer and propellant shortage. Stories are making both local and national news, and rumors abound on the Internet. I understand there have been large Federal contracts, but those cannot come close to explaining the increased demand for ammunition and components. There is more than a billion—that’s billion with a “B”—rounds of .22 Long Rifle produced in this country every year. One estimate puts it at closer to a billion and a half. The DHS has not bought a billion and a half rounds of .22 LR, so it cannot be pinned on them. Also, it is unlikely to me that Janet Napolitano is trying to corner the world market on Hodgdon Varget, even though it is one of my favorite go-to powders.
    I have some anecdotal evidence of what is going on here. A friend called me from the parking lot of a gun store in Southwest Virginia, “Mark, I just scored 5,000 rounds of Federal .22 Long Rifle!” I cut his euphoria short by saying, “Tim, you have never bought more than 500 rounds of anything before.” To which he replied, “Yeah, but I bought all they had.” I believe Tim’s “score” is being replicated all across the country every time the UPS truck arrives.
    Where Has All The Ammo Gone? Lemur For Trade
    How much Winchester white box 230-grain, .45 ACP can I get for a lemur?

Kirkd

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    Greenwood
    Englewood has it all. He's the local redistributor.:D .. Lol ... Don't give my **** Engelwood, I'm only teasing

searpinski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Gander is storing it in the back for those who purchase new guns. They have a ton but don't put it on the shelves. Also, hoarders. Also, government.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Where Has All The Ammo Gone could be a catchy song like that hippie one where have all the flowers gone. I'm sure someone could come up lyrics to go with the tune and make a buck or two. It is sad that regular joe shooters like me who usually buy enough to cover a few months of range time can't hardly do it anymore. Glad to be here when I can to find a deal.

Catsfan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2011
    Ft Wayne
    1 of my family members just bought a 22 rifle yesterday from Gander, & he got a 325 rnd box of .22lr ammo w/ the rifle.... Ammo was NOT on the shelf!!!!!!!

Larryjr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Portland, IN
    This shortage is actually pretty easy to understand. If you consider that there is currently a record 5 million nra members. Lets say for easy math just 5 million folks around the US have purchased 1,000 rds each of a particular caliber which I think is low considering my own inventory and that of others I have talked to. That would be 5 billion rounds of each caliber off the shelves just like that. I personally shoot 6 different calibers regularly so that would be 5 billion x 6 for each different caliber. If you also consider there is easily more than 5 million people out there who shoot and then add in the "scared" factor... This shortage isn't difficult to understand.

bowtie

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 28, 2012
    South Bend
    There is no shortage what is so hard about this to understand? Go on gunbroker and take your pick spend some money and you can have whatever you want. Most shops dont want to inflate their prices locally to look bad so instead of in stock inventory they just sell it online at higher cost.

there is a shortage of low price thats it

Top Bottom