• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    Wife and I were talking about this recently then I saw an article the other day about the metal heads in Botswana Africa and i'm wondering has all the metal gone off shore? Is it dead in the US?

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    Yeah, there haven't been many good bands lately, it's all nasally female rockers and Dumb-step, even Korn did some rock-dumbstep combo songs

raptrbreth

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    New Palestine
    I guess it depends on what you consider good. I, on occasion, go back and listen to some hair metal. What was I thinking? Most of the stuff I grew up listening to was garbage ( 80's kid). If you need recommendations for newer stuff just ask.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Metallica has a new album coming out, older sounding (so they tell me).
    Maiden did a great tour with Book of Souls.............and the set list for the shows was fantastic.
    US shows had oldies like.......The Trooper, Hallowed be thy Name, Number of the Beast, Powerslave, Children of the Damned, Wasted Years

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    It's still around, but it's basically underground. There are no real hard rock radio stations to hear any of it on, at least in Indiana and that's a problem. You might catch a Metallica song every now and then, but it's few and far between and that's as hard as it gets. You certainly won't hear a Five Finger Death Punch or Avenged Sevenfold song on the radio. Forget about a Viking death metal band like Amon Amarth having a song on the radio. I have to find out about bands from my boys. The internet is where they find stuff.

Dirty Steve

Moparracer89

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    NWI
    It's still around, but it's basically underground. There are no real hard rock radio stations to hear any of it on, at least in Indiana and that's a problem. You might catch a Metallica song every now and then, but it's few and far between and that's as hard as it gets. You certainly won't hear a Five Finger Death Punch or Avenged Sevenfold song on the radio. Forget about a Viking death metal band like Amon Amarth having a song on the radio. I have to find out about bands from my boys. The internet is where they find stuff.

Dirty Steve

You dont get out much do you? Indy is the only major market in Indiana WITHOUT a hard rock/metal radio station. Lafayette, Kokomo, Ft Wayne, South Bend, and Evansville all have them. Metal is very much alive and well.

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    No, I don't get out much. If I can't pick it up in Bloomington or Morgantown on the radio, it doesn't exist to me except via the internet and what I download.

Dirty Steve

raptrbreth

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    New Palestine
    You dont get out much do you? Indy is the only major market in Indiana WITHOUT a hard rock/metal radio station. Lafayette, Kokomo, Ft Wayne, South Bend, and Evansville all have them. Metal is very much alive and well.
    What station in Fort Wayne plays metal. I have not lived there in years but still visit the parents and do not know of any channel that plays metal, I could be wrong.

raptrbreth

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    New Palestine
    Spotify has an awesome feature that works when you listen a lot. It creates a playlist based on your listening and likes, it is called "Discover Weekly" and refreshes every Monday. I have found quite a few new bands this way.

Vamptepes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2013
    Eagledale
    What happened to rock/metal? It's played at meijer for shopping music now... I remember a few months ago when I heard disturbed playing it shocked me then I felt old.
    When it was still x103 they did alright up until about 08 and went downhill fast. Now since it's been labeled alt103 I don't bother stopping half the time anymore it's dead to me. Then you have q95 and 104.5 who have been playing the same playlists the past however many years that I'm tired of listening to and I'm sure others are also. So many better classics they could be playing. How many times a day do I need to hear love is a battlefield? What's worse is when both stations are playing the same song at the same time. Then in indy if your lucky you can pick up the river which is I belive 106.1? Maybe .3. Anyways its nothing more then q95 with a different Playlist basically.

Metal is pretty dead in America and has been for a while. You have bands like Butcher babies that is nothing more then fake boobs and generic riffs and lyrics. Or you get baby metal which is k-pop metal. Yeah we are getting a metallica album finally but of course no initial tour for the states. The rather go overseas as usual. They haven't really toured here since 09 I believe. I saw them at conseco for the death magnetic tour and they've never been back around here since.

I went and saw lamb of god again last year when they toured with slipknot. But as far as new music we are producing mostly crap or record label created bands that noone cares about. Australia has a better metal scene then we do even. You just have to look for the new music it's out there but hidden by generic bands.

LlamaMama

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2016
    Bunker Hill
    What station in Fort Wayne plays metal. I have not lived there in years but still visit the parents and do not know of any channel that plays metal, I could be wrong.

Maybe 98.9 'The Bear'? Used to play some metal, and had a 2 hour block on weekend nights for real heavy metal they didn't play otherwise. I don't pick it up very often but from what I've heard it's gone downhill with the newer whiny' rock' bands.

Miss those great concerts at Pierre's!

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest

Used to be WXKE 104 back when I was a kid.

98.9 The Bear now. Sometimes they make a good run of stuff, usually corporate crap. Still heavier than most, seems to be better later at night.

Miss the "ultimate album side" on 103.3 ............some folks had some good lists.

Have yet to hear Type O Negative played on any radio stations.

The Loop out of Chicago (big time Maiden stuff back in the day)...........worth a crap anymore?

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    I miss living in Evansville for school, they had the best rock station, 103.1 GBF. All they play is hard rock/metal.

See if you can get 97.1 WXCM out of Owensboro or 93.9 WKTG from Madisonville. 97X is very similar to GBF, KTG is a little softer but still plays some good stuff most of the time. I can get either all the way to Jasper in the car. Jordan Rose afternoon DJ on 97X plays some good stuff.

Top Bottom