• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • engineerpower

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jun 1, 2008
    State of Boone
    So I'm lucky enough to have been able to bring home a Heavy 10 South Bend lathe and a Super 55 Index vertical mill over the past year. I'm finishing up my VFD powerboard to bring in 220V 3 phase, so I should have a small running shop here pretty soon.

My main concern now is where is a good place to buy stock, both round and billet? I know there are online suppliers, but paying for shipping hunks of metal would be nice to avoid. I don't know of any metal suppliers right off; where do y'all buy/find/obtain your metal for tooling and machining from?

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I have no personal experience - but I drive by here all the time. May give them a call and see what they have to say?

Sanjo Steel Inc
    610 W Main St, Greenwood, IN ‎
    (317) 888-6227

partyboy6686

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    Indianapolis
    My friend buys all his metal supplies from here. Not sure if they stock billet.
    Warner Steel Sales
    2623 E Raymond St
    Indianapolis, IN 46203
    317-789-1733

I have personally bought steel and aluminum from here. Im not sure if they stock billet.
    Southside Steel
    1910 Bluff Rd
    Indianapolis, IN 46225
    317-972-1888

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    We (work that is) use Alro for all of our metals Alro Metals, Industrial Supplies and Plastics - Indiana Locations

Not sure how the prices would compare when buying smaller quantities vs. a flat bed full...or if they even sell small quantities like that...but you could give them a shot.

I have tried to buy small quantities for my work from Alro, and they wouldn't sell to me, so good luck with that one.

+1 for Werner Steel Sales, good people to buy from, about a mile E of I-65 on Raymond.

bacon#1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2014
    Outside The Matrix
    AED is not bad on pricing we use them at work. Also use Alro but that's just for big orders anything small they charge a cut fee which is usually about the same as just buying the whole thing. Southside steel is good option for small stuff to.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    My friend buys all his metal supplies from here. Not sure if they stock billet.
    Warner Steel Sales
    2623 E Raymond St
    Indianapolis, IN 46203
    317-789-1733

I have personally bought steel and aluminum from here. Im not sure if they stock billet.
    Southside Steel
    1910 Bluff Rd
    Indianapolis, IN 46225
    317-972-1888

Ive bought from Werner several times. Their drop rack rocks! I'm usually buying various size tube steels for building stuff or my Jeep, but they do have solid bar stock of various sizes and materials. Real good guy to deal with.

tmkr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    MSC,Enco and Mcmaster-Carr.Maybe a bit pricey but you can get just what you want in shorter lengths.Shipped to your door.

Leadkrm

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2014
    Indianapolis
    We sale fasteners to a few steel places. Sanjo steel. Warner steel. Alro steel. Midwest steel rule. C&c sheet metal. Indiana steel fab. Steel house rule. Those are about all I can think of off the top of my head

Top Bottom