• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RoosterJC

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Carmel, IN
    So I bought a new safe, it's about 66"h x 24" x 24". I thought I would put it in my upstairs bedroom, but I'm reconsidering and thinking about putting it in my attached garage. Upstairs it would be close to me, but it may be difficult to get it up there. Also if I want to show (off) my collection I'd have to have someone come up into our room (not the wife's favorite choice).

The garage offers concrete flooring for bolting, as well as the wall, and I would be able to get to it in an emergency.
    I currently have a small safe upstairs that I use there.

Which is better, garage or upstairs bedroom?
    Where is your safe?

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    I would look for another spot other then the garage. If the bedroom isn't a good location to keep everyone happy I think I would be looking for another spot. Do you have a large closet or laundry room area or a guest bedroom or office? You can still bolt it down in the house, just takes a little more effort.

For the record, my safe was tossed in a lake during and INGO outing. I took part in a game to see who's safe could make it to the bottom faster. I was told mine/I lost and someone had recovered it but everything was ruined and not to worry about retrieving the items inside.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    See if this helps you at all.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...-considerations_for_purchasing_gun_safes.html

I know there have been instances of entire safes being removed from garages due to various reasons (easy access with vehicle, not bolted down, not easily monitored as within the home, etc.) Not to mention the temp/humidity swings.

I typically recommend NOT in the garage, against two walls, in a quickly accessible location and if possible/preferred at somewhat hidden locations (such as walk in closet).

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I would put mine in the house--like others have said to control the temperature and humidity. I have read where people that place their safes in unconditioned spaces claim they haven't had problems with rust. But from my experience, every rustable tool I have that is out in my unconditioned garage will rust. I spent a few minutes yesterday mitigating a light surface rust on my table saw and band saw tables.

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    I don't like the garage. First you have the temperature/humidity swings even in a heated garage. This causes condensation inside the safe which is an ENEMY of all firearms.

But most importantly, it's WAY too easy for a safe in a garage to be hauled off even if bolted down. There is no safe made that is foolproof, what you're attempting to do is make the amount of time the bad guys have to spend getting into your safe NOT worth what might be inside.

But if they can just tear it looks from the floor/wall, stuff it into the back of a pickup or van, and take it with them. Then they can open it at their leisure.

Moving a safe into your house is a hassle. Moving it OUT is also a hassle. The most inconvenient place to move it in is probably the best. Unfortunately...

whippo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 17, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I would agree with most, not many will be answering and the garage is not the place for it. If you don't want people coming in the house bring stuff to the garage to show.

Redtbird

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Apr 18, 2012
    Monroe County
    My gun cabinets are over there ----->

<-----Or maybe over here...

vvvvv Down there?

^^^^^ Up here...

Well, they're somewhere. Now if I could just remember what I did with them...:dunno:

Top Bottom