Where to buy 80% lower? Does brand matter?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • seabassnfg

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2014
    Valpo
    I am having trouble locating 80% lowers online.
    Does anybody have any idea where I can buy one?
    Does manufacturer matter? If so, which one should I stay away from?

Thanks.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Not trying to hijack the thread, but it ties in.
    Do I understand correctly that an 80% in addition to needing some machining done, they don't have a serial number? If that is correct, how does an FFL transfer it or does it require an FFL?
    And, can or how would you legally sell it (should one choose to do so)?

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Do I understand correctly that an 80% in addition to needing some machining done, they don't have a serial number? If that is correct, how does an FFL transfer it or does it require an FFL?

As I understand it, an 80% lower does require some machining WHICH MUST BE DONE BY THE PURCHASER. They don't have a serial number and do not require an FFL to be involved. If I went to the trouble of doing one, I certainly would not be selling it. And, if you are thinking of buying one/some just to sell them, get a hold of your bondsman and your attorney in advance. :)

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    As I understand it, an 80% lower does require some machining WHICH MUST BE DONE BY THE PURCHASER. They don't have a serial number and do not require an FFL to be involved. If I went to the trouble of doing one, I certainly would not be selling it. And, if you are thinking of buying one/some just to sell them, get a hold of your bondsman and your attorney in advance. :)

I wouldn't have too much trouble doing the machining. I very rarely ever sell anything. And No, I wouldn't have any interest in buying any just to re-sell.
    But what if you wanted to leave one to a loved one when you pass?
    Or how would you report it if it were ever stolen? And would it need any documentation after it is fully machined?

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan

At 80% it is not considered a firearm, therefore sales are not regulated (yet). Once it is machined to 100% by the owner it cannot be sold (and does not need a serial number).

ol' poke

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    After I machined my 80%s to 100%s, I went ahead and had them engraved with my own personal serial number. Not required, just my preference.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    Wow. Can't believe the anti's haven't run with this as a "loop hole".

You can manufacture firearms without a license, but you can never sell them. The 80% lowers (You can get 80% pistol lowers, too. My buddy built a 1911 for $300) are just an easy way for the hobby smith to build guns. You buy a raw forging with some machining, which is not considered a firearm by law. You have to finish it, then it becomes a firearm. You could carve an AR lower out of a block of wood if you really wanted to.

As far as inheritance or passing them down, I wouldn't see any issues with that. The law only applies to non dealers selling firearms that they've manufactured. I would assume that gifting is still okay.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    You can manufacture firearms without a license, but you can never sell them. The 80% lowers (You can get 80% pistol lowers, too. My buddy built a 1911 for $300) are just an easy way for the hobby smith to build guns. You buy a raw forging with some machining, which is not considered a firearm by law. You have to finish it, then it becomes a firearm. You could carve an AR lower out of a block of wood if you really wanted to.

As far as inheritance or passing them down, I wouldn't see any issues with that. The law only applies to non dealers selling firearms that they've manufactured. I would assume that gifting is still okay.

You CAN sell self made firearms. But it is another one of those "intent" things.

https://www.criminaldefenselawyer.c...ll-or-give-my-homemade-gun-another-person.htm

ATF wants you to put a serial on them before you sell them though.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    You CAN sell self made firearms. But it is another one of those "intent" things.

https://www.criminaldefenselawyer.c...ll-or-give-my-homemade-gun-another-person.htm

ATF wants you to put a serial on them before you sell them though.

Good point. Okay, you can't manufacture them for the purpose of selling or making a profit. Similarly, someone cannot pay you to make one for them. But if you made a few, and later on decided you didn't want some of them, you could sell them.

Top Bottom