• ...and so much more!
  • Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I'm trying to open up my options to be able to shop around for propane prices, but can't do this unless I own the tank.
    My local gas provider just quoted me around $7k for a new 500 gallon "underground tank".
    They are not selling above ground tanks at this time.
    So, does anyone know where I can buy a new or used tank near Tippecane County.
    I found a few on Fakebook marketplace but thought I'd see if I could find a better price.
    Thanks

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    I'm trying to open up my options to be able to shop around for propane prices, but can't do this unless I own the tank.
    My local gas provider just quoted me around $7k for a new 500 gallon "underground tank".
    They are not selling above ground tanks at this time.
    So, does anyone know where I can buy a new or used tank near Tippecane County.
    I found a few on Fakebook marketplace but thought I'd see if I could find a better price.
    Thanks
    I got my 250 gal from Shelby county co-op but you're a bit out of their svc area I believe. All we use it for is cooking so 250 gal lasts for years.

INP8riot

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2023
    West Central
    I just went through this search. $6-7k is standard. Finding an above ground for sale is harder than in ground. Companies mainly want to rent their above ground and not sell them. I had to beg and plead and get a tankless propane water heater installed by the gas company to get a 500 gallon tank to rent it. I get why they don't want their asset just sitting there and not making revenue from filling it. A 26kw generator just won't last that long on 250 gallons. I wanted the security of 500 gallons. Well both of those figures are the size but reality is only 80% of the gallons. Renting just made sense with all my other recent expenses. I HATE renting stuff. I want to own.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    I just went through this search. $6-7k is standard. Finding an above ground for sale is harder than in ground. Companies mainly want to rent their above ground and not sell them. I had to beg and plead and get a tankless propane water heater installed by the gas company to get a 500 gallon tank to rent it. I get why they don't want their asset just sitting there and not making revenue from filling it. A 26kw generator just won't last that long on 250 gallons. I wanted the security of 500 gallons. Well both of those figures are the size but reality is only 80% of the gallons. Renting just made sense with all my other recent expenses. I HATE renting stuff. I want to own.
    And that's why I went with a 13kw portable generator vs Generac. Didn't want to add a propane tank and be reliant on someone else to fill it.

INP8riot

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2023
    West Central
    And that's why I went with a 13kw portable generator vs Generac. Didn't want to add a propane tank and be reliant on someone else to fill it.
    I totally understand that but gas goes bad. Propane does not. I need a whole house generator that auto kicks on. I'm all electric here and I'm out in the sticks. I was told power went out here all the time...but has only happened once for 6 hours. Last year there were areas around me that were without power for days.

For a shtf scenario, I still need to get a 5k propane generator. Just enough to run my well pump and my freezers. That will sip on propane for months.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    They are a dealer for Manchester Tank. They had 500 gal for sale in 2021 for $3800, no delivery was available. Regulator was another $127 installed. Indianapolis location.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    I went with Overpeck Gas out of Covington. They should be able to get to you in Lafayette.
    I found out about overpeck AFTER I got one from the above mentioned location. It would have been a 15 minute drive vs hour and half for me.

Overpeck pressure tested and filled mine after I got it.

INP8riot

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2023
    West Central
    I actually pass by their place just outside of Kingman on the way to my hunting property.
    If they will sell me one and set it on my trailer I'd be golden!
    Thanks for the suggestion.
    I hadn't thought about them.
    I should know his name and I feel like a jerk for not remembering, but the owner is a great guy. They do great work too! Everyone in his crew was awesome. I'm pretty particular and their tankless water heater install was impeccable. They even had to drill through the brick on my house to run the gas line.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I should know his name and I feel like a jerk for not remembering, but the owner is a great guy. They do great work too! Everyone in his crew was awesome. I'm pretty particular and their tankless water heater install was impeccable. They even had to drill through the brick on my house to run the gas line.
    I just installed a thankless electric water heater.
    I only use propane for cooking and heating (92% efficient furnace)

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    I totally understand that but gas goes bad. Propane does not. I need a whole house generator that auto kicks on. I'm all electric here and I'm out in the sticks. I was told power went out here all the time...but has only happened once for 6 hours. Last year there were areas around me that were without power for days.

For a shtf scenario, I still need to get a 5k propane generator. Just enough to run my well pump and my freezers. That will sip on propane for months.
    Look at Duromax, they make dual/tri fuel, just not sure how small.

I'm in the sticks as well and was without power for 3 days last year. Gen did great and with stabil and rotating the cans every other year, they don't go bad. I get the need for an autostart, just don't look at how quickly it'll suck down that 500 gallon tank!

INP8riot

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2023
    West Central
    Look at Duromax, they make dual/tri fuel, just not sure how small.

I'm in the sticks as well and was without power for 3 days last year. Gen did great and with stabil and rotating the cans every other year, they don't go bad. I get the need for an autostart, just don't look at how quickly it'll suck down that 500 gallon tank!
    Oh I know. I calculqted it and it was not that long at 100% and not much better at 50%. I needed something big enough to run my heat to keep pipes from freezing. Fireplace is in the works in the next year or 2

INP8riot

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2023
    West Central
    I just installed a thankless electric water heater.
    I only use propane for cooking and heating (92% efficient furnace)
    Why an electric tankless if you have propane? The power that thing uses. Almost need a subpanel dedicated to it! I have only dropped 10% in 5 months. Thats only 8-10 gallons per month for 2 people. Just the water heater on it.

Sorry OP. We have threadjacked the crap out of this!!

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    Why an electric tankless if you have propane? The power that thing uses. Almost need a subpanel dedicated to it! I have only dropped 10% in 5 months. Thats only 8-10 gallons per month for 2 people. Just the water heater on it.

Sorry OP. We have threadjacked the crap out of this!!
    Depending on the OPs needs, this may be a valuable thread drift!

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    They sell one hundreds at tractor supply. they sell them measured in pounds and gallons so make sure you are not comparing apples to oranges.

Those are the largest you can load and fill then unload and store. I have two for the “Jenny” and being a lifeguard in my youth I used to man handle the chlorine tanks so I built what they had to move them around from harbor freight.

My generator is 10k/12k on gas and less on the pain off the tanks. We also have a 500 gallon for heat and cooking. The “guy” at the co-op that delivers said that tank would not run the “Jenny” well and to run it off the smaller tanks. Regulator is not the same he said.

i did the math on mine somewhere in the process of setting it up. and “Jenny” is just storage enough in watts for in rush current (I doubled what it said I needed) for the well pump while running lighting ect. since I already have a supply for heating and cooking and my back feed into the house will be limited at the breaker box a 20 pound tank runs the setup for 12-24 hours and the 100 should get me 48 being careful with what is being drawn in watts. So 2 of the hundreds and the mass of 20’s I have picked up over the years.

We understand that if we are not in need of AC power (say in the day after the house is warm) everything can be turned off. The freezers willkeep temp for 4-6 hours no worries which is the main draw we want to keep the meat and food good. In a true ice storm with below freezing temps we can move the food to where it is freezing and remove that load also. Now a power outage in the summer with lines down will need those up and running. 2 -100 get me 3 days to 4 days then a few 20’s a half day to day. I should be good for a week or more. The idea would be the freezers fridge a few lights and one TV plus the furnace and well pump as needed.

we can not run AC or dry clothes dryer ect. If you need to run electrical heating good luck if it is 1970’s electrical heating.

as far as buying a large above ground tank I do not think my co-op will fill it even if you buy your own. then again they just got bought out again this year.

Top Bottom