• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    178   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    This seems to be the most appropriate category, mods feel free to move if I am wrong. Not really a WTB ad, trying to get info on where to go.

I see lots of companies advertising containers, none with prices which leads me to believe that they are brokers/middlemen & have nothing to sell. I really hate the "call us for prices" game.

Looking for at least one 20' & maybe one or more 10' containers (I know they are rare), prefer Indy area but don't mind driving a few hours.

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    In Act’s post there is a place mentioned in Tipp. Co. When I checked them about 5 years ago the price was about 2000.00 for a 40 ft. IIRC.

joe138

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    There are shipping containers for sale at a couple of places in the Bedford area. One is behind the Army Surplus store at the intersection of SR 37 and US 50. The other place is between Bedford and Mitchell on SR 37.
    I don't know anything about pricing or delivery. However both places have been in business for a long time.

Mij

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    It appears your question is directed to Hk. But I will endeavor to answer anyway.

These containers are not constructed to withstand the external forces applied by backfill. There are quite a few instances where they have been crushed. The potential for a life threatening condition is very real.

While it is easy to read and see these things on the www, this is a perfect example of don’t believe everything you read or even see.

This is not to say it can’t be done. With the proper reinforcement it can and has been done. But I would encourage anyone thinking of doing it to engage a qualified structural engineer. JMO. And best of luck if you undertake such a project.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    Check craigslist.org. I see several companies that seem legit and a few show prices:

https://indianapolis.craigslist.org/fod/d/indianapolis-shipping-containers-for/7523454323.html
    1661632065058-png.220391

https://indianapolis.craigslist.org/fod/d/zionsville-new-and-used-containers/7524841532.html
    1661632214989.png

Attachments

• 1661632065058.png
      1661632065058.png
      248.3 KB · Views: 157

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    It appears your question is directed to Hk. But I will endeavor to answer anyway.

These containers are not constructed to withstand the external forces applied by backfill. There are quite a few instances where they have been crushed. The potential for a life threatening condition is very real.

While it is easy to read and see these things on the www, this is a perfect example of don’t believe everything you read or even see.

This is not to say it can’t be done. With the proper reinforcement it can and has been done. But I would encourage anyone thinking of doing it to engage a qualified structural engineer. JMO. And best of luck if you undertake such a project.
    Reinforced to handle the weight of the soil and sealed like you would a basement....keeps them from just rusting away. They do make an excellent root cellar if done properly.

Mij

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Reinforced to handle the weight of the soil and sealed like you would a basement....keeps them from just rusting away. They do make an excellent root cellar if done properly.
    Hi mom45, yes the weight from top and sides. As soil settles and compacts it becomes more compact and dense ergo it weighs more per cu. ft. Now add the weight of water-rain and that is where documented cases of danger really emerge.

I investigated this very subject some years ago. After my research and talking to the boss we (she) decided that the greatest cost to use ratio merited a small new barn a pole-building, with small 10x16 sub grade room, of course I was on board, a win-win for me. Again Hello, and a good weekend to you.

Mij

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    As designed they will collapse with the weight of dirt on top. I’ve even seen pictures of some that the sides collapsed inward from the pressure on the sides.
    Good post. Now think of the results if you or anybody drives a car, truck, tractor, even a mower over it. The proverbial straw and proverbial camel.

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    3'X3' or 1cyd of dirt weight 1.5 tons to 2 tons depending on moisture content. People don't realize the amount of pressure dirt can exert on things and how heavy it really is.

If I was to burry one it would have additional water proffing added before anything.

Then dig the hole 1' sider then the container. Pour a mud slab, anchor container to mud slab to keep it from floating out, then bank pour concrete around ans over tank. This would give you 6" of concrete all around to support the weight of the soils.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    It can be done and work with proper bracing. There is about a foot of soil on top of this one. It's been buried since 2011 and is in a location where nobody is able to drive over the top as that was something we certainly considered. As you can see, they do hold moisture when buried but for a root cellar, you want high humidity and it works very well. We use a car battery hooked to a light for lighting.
    P6020033.JPG P6020035.JPG P6020039.JPG P6020043.JPG P6020042.JPG P6020045.JPG

Mij

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    To cool, I like the way you protect the entrance from filling up with mud after a rain. Does it stay above freezing in winter? I’m guessing it does with the front Covered.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    To cool, I like the way you protect the entrance from filling up with mud after a rain. Does it stay above freezing in winter? I’m guessing it does with the front Covered.
    The lowest temp I have seen in there is right at 32 degrees.

Reactions: Mij

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GlockFrenzy
    Top Bottom