• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pjcalla

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hamilton County
    So, where do you all buy silver and gold? I'm thinking smaller amounts that would be easily converted to cash (coins, silver bars, etc.).

This would be for sort of a "savings" account or emergency fund, since the banks are only paying 0.25% on savings accounts.

Thanks.

foxxie02

Marksman
    Rating - 97.2%
    35   1   0
    May 23, 2008
    in th

i buy silver in different quantities, sometimes bulk like 100 oz or more to save and sometimes i buy one oz coins or bars for ease of bartering if need be. find a coin shack/dealer who not only sells but see what he buys back at. the one in terre haute i use buys back usually at 25-50 cents down on the prior days close... better than the hacks at the mall or online....:twocents:

Jeckle

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Greenwood
    I almost always buy from Apmex. Silver, Silver Bar, Silver Bars, Silver Bullion, Gold and More - APMEX.com Sorry if that does not show up as a link. Right now they about $2.99 over spot. Most all of mine is in 1 ounce American Eagles. Very easily converted into cash. I've purchased dozens of times over several years and always had prompt delivery and excellent customer service. There are several payment options, but I've found a money order to be the most economical way for me. The Coin Index of Greenwood Indiana ~ Est. 1988 and MyDesk &#9655 TheBullionDesk are good to keep an eye on as well.

stanicus

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 13, 2009
    Noblesville
    There is a small gold and coin shop across the street from the old courthouse in Noblesville. I only paid $30 for 1oz silver eagles when prices closed at 28.75 that day. So, they only have a very small markup.

thenewguy199

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2011
    prices

Make sure you know where the spot price is when you are looking to buy. Expect to pay $1-$3 above spot. Make sure you check around. For junk silver coins check kitco refining and see what they are buying silver coins for. You should be able to get it for $1-$2 above what their prices are per dollars worth. Deal with local shops in your area if you can, you are supporting your community and can usually get a better deal than the internet if they know you have money to spend. It is usually a discreet transaction too...

Oni7734

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Speedway
    A good place to buy that is almost always in line with spot is ebay. That is, if you're buying junk silver. Eagles are best to be bought and sold for profit when spot prices fluctuate. Take the profit and turn it into junk silver. There's a few estate buyers in town that sell both junk and eagles and are very fair in their pricing. If buying eagles, the mint just raised the premium from 1.50 to 2 per oz. in october, which raised all other eagles, anything beyond that if found money for the seller. From what I've found, buying local will get you under that $2 premium

I think any online retailers have too big of a markup and fishy with their shipping cost. bulliondirect.com is a good site to trade product and "pool" your inventory. you can take a check, or your physical product at any time.

If you have some cash to spend, tulving.com sells junk silver below spot and have just about the lowest premiums anywhere.

If anyone is looking to sell, let me know what you have and what you want for it. I've got a roll of silver eagle that may be for trade if you want.

Hemingway

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Indiana
    One drawback to purchasing silver here in IN is that dealers and stores charge sales tax. That's a big bummer. IL and other states do not charge tax on silver and gold bullion.

Try Brad here on the forum. He's a great guy and very knowledgable. He's been in this business for a long time, not since the large, recent upticks so he's got a base of knowledge a lot these new dealers don't have.

And/or try to establish a private party who deals in it and doesn't charge sales tax.

I'm going to be putting some pre-65 coins up for sale here in a bit when I go through my inventory to see what I want to get rid of. You might be interested in that.

Top Bottom