• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lordjackel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 20, 2008
    Southern Arkansas
    I am getting a GSD puppy in a few weeks and want to start her out right with proper training. Not just for obedience, leash and such but home and personal protection. I have been researching and can only find 2 opposite training types. 1. the typical sweet dog training where they learn to sit and roll over. 2. Schutzhund clubs. That both said (and replied very quick to their credit) just show up at the field but don't seem to do 1-1 training or any type of structured training.

So question...those of you with trained dogs can you point me in the right direction to find training?

While I have had numerous small dogs and can house, crate and leash train myself I have never trained a dog for this type of work. Not to mention I have 2 kids so can't afford to to mis-train the pup. I also want to start her out right from day one and not let her get a bunch of bad habits.

Thanks for your help.

sheriff125

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    Morgan Co
    if you haven't make sure your breeder is selling dogs capable of doing protection work, as most are not. it would serve you well to find your trainer and let them help you find a dog.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    There's a guy in Elkhart, can't remember his name off the top of head. But he only trains protection dogs if he sources the puppy. No exactly close to home for you either.:dunno:

lordjackel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 20, 2008
    Southern Arkansas
    if you haven't make sure your breeder is selling dogs capable of doing protection work, as most are not. it would serve you well to find your trainer and let them help you find a dog.

Thanks but I already have the dog. I looked into a bred for this type of work dogs and they are just way out of my price range. In talking to owners just about any GSD can be trained to some level for this role (most come by is somewhat naturally)...so while not a champion guard dog...I feel once she is trained she will be what I am looking for.

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers

SkullDaddy.45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    0hio
    Tatum kennels in Lake Village . She not only sells the best protection dogs in the world, she is one of the handful of trainers who train for drugs, cadaver, protection, and dogs for the disabled. All her dogs are SchH3. I've gotten 3 dogs from her. Simply the best.

sheriff125

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    Morgan Co
    Thanks but I already have the dog. I looked into a bred for this type of work dogs and they are just way out of my price range. In talking to owners just about any GSD can be trained to some level for this role (most come by is somewhat naturally)...so while not a champion guard dog...I feel once she is trained she will be what I am looking for.

just remember that her working lines have probably mostly been breed out of her. she will be a wonderful pet i'm sure, but you don't want to force her to do something she has no drive to do. it will become a liability to you. criminals just seeing her on your property will be her best defensive tool. mostly just make sure to enjoy her! And be ready for hair everywhere. lol

DepTaylor

Plinker
    Rating - 97%
    32   1   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    Westfield
    I have trained about a dozen working protection dogs. Most of which are now working as dual purpose police K9s. Bruce McNabb up at first friend is top notch. I have trained protection dogs with him many times. He is a National level competitor and a great guy.

The male that I have now was purchased from Mike Diehl who is a training director for IMPD. He also has his own Schutzhund club called OG Indianapolis Schutzhund and Policia. You can find his page at diehlspolicek9training.com He produces the best GSD pups that I have ever worked. Mike competes in Europe regularly.

Another club that is a spin off from Mike's club is OG Landshark O.G. Landshark Nate Harves is their training director and has competed at a national level many times. He produces great puppies and has a super foundation stud, Stukka.

The proper puppy is absolutely critical. I have had pups out of 2 Sch3 parents that wash out of training.

TaunTaun

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    I'm looking at getting a GSD for my family here within the next 6 months or so. I'm located in the South Bend area. Any recommendations/contacts for trainers who sell GSD's puppies for protection training? I realize that half of the training will be the wife and myself as the primary handlers. But I'm also not looking to spend an arm and a leg (hehehe, get it?) to get some AKC Grand National Alpha Turbo Champion pup that we will end up neutering/spaying. Ideally, I am looking at spending only around $500 for a pup.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Any recommendations/contacts for trainers who sell GSD's puppies for protection training?... Ideally, I am looking at spending only around $500 for a pup.

You budget needs to increase substantially. Sure, you can buy a GSD from a reputable breed for under a grand, but if you want to buy from a breeder/trainer that specializes in protection dogs, you need lots more $$$. Get one from a reputable breeder who sells them as pets. It will become naturally protective of your family and respond well to all but the most demanding training.

Top Bottom