• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    This is a way over thought out thing it seems for a lot of people. Its not like you are stashing rifles and handguns in these things I would hope. I could see somewhere on your property if you have a large section of land and its your retreat in the time of crisis. However, for the average guy trying to get from point A to B it would be better served for other things. You could use small PVC tubes as mentioned to store a change of clothes, $50 cash, pocket knife, map, self upkeep or morale items, and other items along those lines. Think what you could get into a 6" PVC tube that is 2-3 foot long? Your imagination is your limitations.

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    In plain sight would be good but not very secure. I want something away from home and away from the city. I have a friend that has 30+ acres of woods in the western part of the state. But, he's way more paranoid of SHTF stuff and id be afraid I'd never make it to my stash before he "took me out". I know, some friend right?
    I am thinking this is for the possible situation where I can't get to my house and have written off anything there.
    Matt

.45 Dave

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Anderson
    In plain sight would be good but not very secure. I want something away from home and away from the city. I have a friend that has 30+ acres of woods in the western part of the state. But, he's way more paranoid of SHTF stuff and id be afraid I'd never make it to my stash before he "took me out". I know, some friend right?
    I am thinking this is for the possible situation where I can't get to my house and have written off anything there.
    Matt

Allright then here's an idea. Get your friend a long range walkie and tell him if the SHTF keep it on and you will radio him 1/2 mile from his property to let him know you are coming in. Unless of course he just plans to shoot you anyway:dunno:

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Matt

When I say plain sight I don't mean a crate sitting in an open field. Ok this is just one and the only off the wall idea ill post: hole in a hollow tree, stuff it with PVC :)

Yes you might lose a couple or more every 5 years, but like Irishfan pointed out, you don't have to hide guns in them. I recommend water, coast guard approved energy bars, maybe a ponch and some 550 cord and a lighter. Bam that's one, then half a klick from that one you put only water, socks, fresh map of the ao, a cheap radio. Just throwing ideas to crank the gears. You want your whole survival system to be stacked onto another part to help it out. Don't put the same thing in everyone.

Last edited:

trgore

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2013
    South West Indy
    I like the idea of PVC pipe. I was thinking of several pipes under stones in the backyard. Stones meaning a walkway to the mini barn. I was thinking what would you need for a month. soap,toothpaste,tooth brush,advil,tp,lighters,100 rounds,bleach,peroxide,candels etc small items that would also make good barter items.

toddk

Plinker
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Lake / Porter Co
    Don't bury them... Takes to long to dig up. If you are having to raid your caches for survival then I would think sitting in place to dig up a sizable tube of PVC.

Try positioning stuff in places you can get to fairly easy... Locker at work, trunk of the car, under a friends shed with their permission.
    Have kids? Build a cache into a playhouse, playground etc.
    No kids? Make a bird bath with a hollow base, a landscaping block covering a container.

Just a couple of ideas.....

1988-4551

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Feb 20, 2012
    Cool. Are you doing a sealed PVC cache with vacuum sealed bags inside?
    Pick somewhere that won't be developed.

The PVC pipe is solid for long term but make sure you weigh it down if its somewhere it gets wet/muddy because of the buoyancy these things have when their light

Top Bottom