• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    If you bury it, include a small electronic monitoring and reporting system.

This system will monitor the vibrations of the buried case to detect the sensation of digging, which is likely to uncover it. This will require signal characterization and classification software.

Then, it could send a 3G signal back to you at home base with the report of the digging so that you can hurry to the sight to interdict the attempt at theft. If you are not fast enough, get the report too late, or otherwise the buried cache is carried off, the system should have a GPS/GLONASS system to continuously report its location to you following recovery, until you properly shut it down. This 3G system should operate in EMCON at all times other than reporting back to you. This will prevent it from being triangulated by area cell towers. It will also allow you to clone the SIM card of any cell phone you use on a daily basis without the cloning being detected in the cell phone network, as the likelihood of you using your cell phone at the moment the buried cache needs to report is as large as your appetite for cell phone use.

This will require an antenna and feedline to get the antenna above the ground plane (literally), so it should not be buried in a place where mowing is common. Also, the antenna should be disguised as a root or stick sticking up out of the ground. The length of this feedline should be sufficient to get the cache below the site's frost line if the cache includes any fluids.

Finally, all of this should be powered by an extremely efficient microcontroller and large Li-Ion battery pack which spends most of its time in a zero-energy use sleep state, waking up only to detect vibration and then go back to sleep. A final report can be sent to notify you of the battery's depletion before the system shuts off due to said depletion.

Energy harvesting technology might be useful if there is a source of mechanical vibration that is relatively steady, but use of a solar power cell above ground is ill-advised, as it would definitely tip off people to the presence of something nearby.

The idea of a solar charger buried with the monitoring and reporting system is just too stupid to comment on, outside of this comment here.

Other environmental sensors might also be included, such as cache temperature and humidity to guard against freezing and water infiltration. Again, reporting should be infrequent and only the result of sensor threshold violation alarms, to prevent the cache being triangulated by its 3G emissions.

Nice. :cool:

Adding any good idea will become part of the interwebs search function. My opinion...digging is too time consuming for you to bury at a proper depth vs how quickly you may want to access your cache. Property exchanges hands over the years, might be made inaccessible or developed over.

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    No BOL in mind. Im thinking my stash is more for after the gov takes whatever guns they find I have. If it is more of a shtf situation, I intend to be mobile as much as possible.

Matt

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Not going to say where I buried mine, but you might observe the area you're considering for a while. Make sure changing weather doesn't affect access at any point in the year. Write down GPS coordinates, and remember some landmarks. GPS isn't entirely accurate so also bury a large amount of scrap steel above it so you can use a metal detector to find it. The land marks aren't surefire, but it is a backup in case you can't get access to any sort of GPS.

This is a pretty low-tech solution, but one that will work.

Tc343

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   1
    Apr 17, 2012
    Greenfield
    Not sure how much you have but you can always bury your items. The old mortar tubes work great and are air/water tight. They run like $20 a piece.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    I've put together a stash of ammo, food, guns and a few other survival items that I want to store off site. I am thinking of burying it but have no place to do so. What would be some good locations to hide a stash?

Thanks, Matt

Its really about how daring you want to be as you could put a cache just about anywhere and it can be any size you want. One easy way is a large ammo can that you paint or coat the outside and bury it in a location you can find easily. A larger one that I hear works well is a 55 gallon steel drum that you paint with some thick epoxy paint or even coat in tar and then bury it. You could clasp the lid down and use a saw or torch to cut another opening in the lid so that you can open it to get your contents rather then having to dig the whole drum back up. One other possibility is find a hill side in a wooded area with a landmark for you to get your location. Cut a hole into the hillside and slide the drum into the hole and then after contents are loaded in the drum you clasp the lid and coat the edges with tar or another water proof coating for durability.

You should be able to store MRE's in the drum along with a couple changes of clothes, shoes, ammo, batteries and other supplies. Its all about your imagination and how far you will go. I know that at least ONE of the drum burying ways I mentioned works and has kept critters and elements out.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Be careful not to be observed while digging to hide your stash. As mentioned...observe a site for a while noting local foot traffic, houses etc. People will have no qualms about taking your stuff if they find it.

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    And what part of "TOODLES!" told you I was not messing with you? ;)

Plus, trust me, one image of me in my underwear and any male libido will need months to recover.

Ob On Topic:

if the stash must be on one's own property for proximity and security, I like the idea of digging lots of holes in the yard and burying lots of "faux caches" and burying a bunch of bits of metal 6-12" over the top of each cache. Put the actual stash in the least probable location. Under the metal gas pipe supply lines, under the sewage outflow pipe line, etc. Then put all of the "faux caches" in obvious and easy to find and dig locations. Make the faux caches outnumber the real stashes by at least 10:1. Make the authorities, or anyone else, who wants to use GPR or metal detectors use a backhoe to address all of the rampant hits they're gonna get.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    And what part of "TOODLES!" told you I was not messing with you? ;)

Plus, trust me, one image of me in my underwear and any male libido will need months to recover.

Ob On Topic:

if the stash must be on one's own property for proximity and security, I like the idea of digging lots of holes in the yard and burying lots of "faux caches" and burying a bunch of bits of metal 6-12" over the top of each cache. Put the actual stash in the least probable location. Under the metal gas pipe supply lines, under the sewage outflow pipe line, etc. Then put all of the "faux caches" in obvious and easy to find and dig locations. Make the faux caches outnumber the real stashes by at least 10:1. Make the authorities, or anyone else, who wants to use GPR or metal detectors use a backhoe to address all of the rampant hits they're gonna get.

Bolts work well ;)

OP:
    If your burying it then also put the smallest signature towards the surface. So it you burying a 3' piece of PVC pipe then bury it with the opening at the top. Aka: use a post hole digger.

But don't over work yourself because the best places can often be in plain sight above ground :)

Everything posted on the net is permanently recorded FYI. So with that in mind if you want to keep your particular "stash" a true secret from the people who would one day come looking for it, then dont post about it.

If big brother wants to find it trust me they will and have technology to do it even masking it. The above will just help keep it hidden from the average quick sweep.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    Bolts work well ;)

OP:
    If your burying it then also put the smallest signature towards the surface. So it you burying a 3' piece of PVC pipe then bury it with the opening at the top. Aka: use a post hole digger.

But don't over work yourself because the best places can often be in plain sight above ground :)

Everything posted on the net is permanently recorded FYI. So with that in mind if you want to keep your particular "stash" a true secret from the people who would one day come looking for it, then dont post about it.

If big brother wants to find it trust me they will and have technology to do it even masking it. The above will just help keep it hidden from the average quick sweep.

Very true unfortunately when it comes to people finding it. A few small things are far better then a larger drum concept but don't ignore it completely if you know of a out of the way spot that isn't likely to be dug on or near farm ground.

cavakilla

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Been contemplating this myself... problem is things are developing so fast... also people are so quick to call the law any more it would have to be done at night with a partner/driver so you have one more person that knows location... I don't think I would keep too much at any location SHTF will be too unpredictable. Keep a bit in all vehicles, BOB's, or maybe bury some near your favorite secluded camping spot. I think having a network of friends and a few meeting spots with caches along the routes is proly best bet. Come up with two or three scenarios and meeting places. If more than one family is bringing supplies the odds are you'll have enough to cover the few that can't get to or lose their stash.

.45 Dave

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Anderson
    1) How about an old cemetery? Late at night, in the country in the darkness. Put up a fake stone that says "Here lies A. Stash". (or not, your choice)
    2) Know anyone with a auto graveyard? Find an old beat up piece of junk no one would want and strap waterproof cylinders underneath for your stash.
    3) Know anyone trustworthy with an old barn? Remove some floor boards and put it there.
    4) A state park or National Forest. Be sure to watch for DNR and hikers!

Top Bottom