• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • new2guns

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2015
    kokomo in.
    I am a resent addition to the hunting ranks. Harvested last year on the sister of my brother in-laws property. I confess being very fortunate to do so as it was a privilege to be invited and to be successful just hunting one day out of the year is not always the case. Therefore this year I determined to make it more of an experience this year. I felt I did not want just a one day experience and I wanted a greater understanding of the event of hunting. I do not own land, can't afford a hunting lease, and have not met up with land owners willing to allow me to hunt their land or put a stand. So I have made an effort to exploit the public lands of Indiana open to hunting. First of all their aren't that many places to go. Secondly, It is with great fear and trepidation that I go for all I hear is horror stories particularly during gun season. I'm in north central Indiana so I have been trapsing the woods of Mississinewa. Looking for deer signs (not seeing much) no scraps, rubs, or dropping , an occasional hoof print and inaccessible trails. Even more frustrating is locating a place to set up not knowing whether it will be available on a given day or if it has unofficially belonged to someone else for fifty years. Am I just up the creek with out...

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    The NE corner of indiana holds some of the biggest bucks in the state. You are in a good location. As far as sign goes, you won't find scrapes and rubs until the later part of october. Once we get some frosts, the trails will be easier to navigate as the green stuff goes dormant.

As far as a "spot", it's first come first served. If some old man says it's his, pull your phone out and call a warden. The old man will shut up and move on. Hunting isn't easy. Lace up your boots, get a machette, and hack in there!
    You want the experience, you gotta do the work.

As far as gun season....yep...it's as bad as you have heard. Go in extra early to get to your spot before others. Wear lots of orange clothing, and swing your flashlight entering and exiting so hunters can see it. Sit all day as the people dragging deer, moving around etc will kick deer around like pinball.

This early in the season, set up under some oak trees that are dropping acorns, and the deer will come.

mulsas

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 14, 2012
    Westfield
    I have been hunting for just a few years with my son, so not an expert. I have access to some private land after gun season starts, but this year will be our first venturing onto public land earlier in the season. Are you going to hunt the archery season, or just gun? That's the main reason we got my son a crossbow, so we could get out before the horror stories. We were out for the youth weekend, and I was surprised how few people were out. I'm sure that will pick up as we get closer to November. Agree on the timing, its a little early to be seeing signs, so don't let that worry you.

Most of all, have fun!

tyrajam

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Fishers
    The reservoir property up by Wabash is great hunting, you just need to spend some serious time hiking around and finding spots where the deer trails/tracks are and the people aren't. Here's the buck I shot last November on public land up there. I like hunting the ridges above the creeks.
    10649651_10155090825065413_6104568143796365349_n.jpg

Richwon4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    Northern IN
    I want to tell you I have seen plenty of whoppers on public land. Pigeon in NE Indiana and down 69 a ways to Roush aka Huntington, not sure anymore what unit but if u PM me I can tell u the unit I like.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I'd opt for Roush or Winamac, and not on the gun opener.
    Might reduce chances, heading up mid week.
    Gone a couple of times, saw few deer, small bucks and one OK (but he way out).
    No freakin' way I'd hit Mississinewa in gun.

As for stand placement............public land. First come first serve.
    Now it's considered polite to not hang close to another stand.......but some folks saturate an area to keep others out.
    I've also seen stands that were never occupied while I hunted in the same general area (bow and gun).

Some folks hunt right where you are, when you're not there (pack in and out, leaving no trace).

It's different, but can be fun if the mindset adjusted. If you're used to good private ground hunting and expect things to be the same...........proly in for a rough go.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    I hunted miss. For muzzleloader last year and it was like walking through baghdad i had several guys (more than 10) aim at me despite my completely blaze orange hat and vest i even had reflective tape on my gun by the end of the season. Called a CO on one guy because even after i waved my hat in the air he kept his gun on me, he didnt put it down until i raised mine while standing up yelling for him to put it down. Then i got a "oh i thought you were a deer you got lucky" reply. super crazy this year im hunting private whenever possible.

gtpilot21

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2015
    Noblesville, IN
    I am considering hunting public land for the first time. The past 10 years I have hunted on private land and last year was the first year that it was no longer an option. Wilbur Wright is close to where I live has anyone hunted there before? What should I be prepared for?

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    I am considering hunting public land for the first time. The past 10 years I have hunted on private land and last year was the first year that it was no longer an option. Wilbur Wright is close to where I live has anyone hunted there before? What should I be prepared for?

A combat zone. Seriously. Get your pumpkin suit on and don't be walking around at all.

Hoosier national forest down by seymor isn't much further and while crowded, it's way bigger and allows for more room between hunters.

Reno316

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    Muncie
    Even more frustrating is locating a place to set up not knowing whether it will be available on a given day or if it has unofficially belonged to someone else for fifty years.

"Sorry, but this is public land, and I have as much right to be here as you do, sir. If you'd like, we can call the local DNR office and discuss with the game warden, see what they think..."

PUBLIC land belongs to the whole public.

Top Bottom