• ...and so much more!
  • croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    You like to live dangerously don’t you!

I'm thankful every day my wife hasn't killed me. I know a guy who bought a nice engagement ring. The wedding never happened. The jewelry store he bought it from gave him full price towards an upgrade. So his next ome got a nicer ring. Now just seeing if this wedding happens. I think it will but you never know.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I'm thankful every day my wife hasn't killed me. I know a guy who bought a nice engagement ring. The wedding never happened. The jewelry store he bought it from gave him full price towards an upgrade. So his next ome got a nicer ring. Now just seeing if this wedding happens. I think it will but you never know.
    So he only got ripped off 1.5 times instead of a full 2. Not bad I guess :):
    I never really question if the wedding is going to happen for the relationships you know or think are going to fail, but when the divorce will happen and how bad shes gonna rip your buddy's heart out and break him for financially. Oh and hopefully it happens before she breeds with him so that he wont have to see her and be ****ed for the rest of his life.

But sometimes they meet a nice girl

rkwhyte2

aka: Vinny
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    Thankfully I had my Great grandmothers engagement diamond (1.25 carat old mine cut). All we did was pick out the setting to put it in.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    This is correct. I've got a buddy who works for a industrial grinding equipment manufacturer and we've discussed the "poop diamond" valuations in his context vs jewelry.

I've seen the same thing with honey. When I first started messing with bees, in 1991, the only honey on supermarket shelves was clover honey. Clover honey is light in color and (relatively) delicate in flavor. During the part of the season where your bees are gathering from wildflowers, particularly late in the season, the honey that is produced is darker and more intensely flavored. Goldenrod especially produces a dark, strong honey. Back when I started, you were advised to keep that honey separate and to use that to feed back to the bees for their winter stores, and it was looked at as inferior. Now, clever marketing has opened a market for that honey, formerly known as inferior, sometimes at prices higher than clover honey.

As far as rings, I "lost" mine after my wife and I had separated. Then, the separation didn't take and we got back together and stayed married. I always figured I'd replace the ring, but you know how things get put off. After my brother had told my wife about a woman who had been hitting on me, my wife ended up getting me a new one.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    As far as rings, I "lost" mine after my wife and I had separated. Then, the separation didn't take and we got back together and stayed married. I always figured I'd replace the ring, but you know how things get put off. After my brother had told my wife about a woman who had been hitting on me, my wife ended up getting me a new one.

Lost mine seeding the backyard about 12 years ago, in the mud and putting down straw on it, probably under a slab of concrete at this point. Never bothered to replace it and never will. I don't care and neither does the wife, and we're 25 + years in now, so not much of a thing for us.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I never was big on jewelry. Have a band somewhere but have not actually worn it in 30+ years. I saw a guy get his finger peeled off in a mechanical coupling on an industrial refrigeration compressor. Saw another fella get his ring blown off when it shorted out to a power lug in a 440 volt panel. Decided the wearing a ring was detrimental to my physical well being.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I never was big on jewelry. Have a band somewhere but have not actually worn it in 30+ years. I saw a guy get his finger peeled off in a mechanical coupling on an industrial refrigeration compressor. Saw another fella get his ring blown off when it shorted out to a power lug in a 440 volt panel. Decided the wearing a ring was detrimental to my physical well being.

Im a fan of these. They wear great, and I dont have to worry about any kind of damage to my hands.

https://www.amazon.com/ROQ-Silicone...34&sr=8-6&keywords=mens+silicone+wedding+band

Besides, as many of you recall, I nearly lost that finger when I snagged it on the top of a stake bed truck as I jumped off. Lots of scar tissue around the knuckle, so I cant wear a rigid ring now if I tried. These slip right over. And ironically, these are roughly the same cut/style as my original gold band. :rockwoot:

And this company is awesome. If the first bag doesnt fit right, they'll send you a different size for free. Just have to ask. They make it right no questions asked. When I burn through these, I'll definitely be buying replacements from them with that awesome service. (I have yet to destroy either of the two I wear out of the set)

Last edited:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    And on a slightly related note of crap suddenly being valuable, Chicken feet and wings used to be thrown away or at least sold for pennies as unwanted parts. Now the feet are exported to China and the wings are one of the hottest commodities of the birds making them some of the most popular parts now. :dunno:

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    And on a slightly related note of crap suddenly being valuable, Chicken feet and wings used to be thrown away or at least sold for pennies as unwanted parts. Now the feet are exported to China and the wings are one of the hottest commodities of the birds making them some of the most popular parts now. :dunno:
    Wings per pound were more than breasts last week when I was buying grill meat.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    See if you can have any stones removed and save them. You may very well want to have them re-set into something later. Keep them especially if you have children. And keep the grading certs with them.

PM bradsknives (https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/members/bradsknives.html) and see if he's still buying precious metals. Ask him what his prices are for gold. It'll help if you know the quality of the gold.

He's a good dude. I've sold silver coins to him in the past.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Gotta love the commercials for "rare chocolate diamonds". As I understand it, those "chocolate" diamonds are basically industrial grade, usually used for saw blades and whatnot.

Gaseous nitrogen impurities prevalent during the period of crystallization. They are extremely common, and "chocolate" is just the most severe version of the yellowing that occurs in MOST diamonds.

Truly rare are the blues, oranges, and even the 100% "clear" natural stones.

Yes, it used to be that all the yellows and browns were just broken up into bit and blade grit. But you know branding....

-Nate

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Well yeah diamonds CAN be a scam but not all are. Clarity, cut, and color are important. It is possible to buy jewelry with a good diamond or diamonds and not get screwed but you need to know what you are doing or have someone with you that does and I'm not taking about walking into your local jewelry store. The best deals are not done at the chain stores. You need to have a connection somewhere for the good BIG stuff and not get screwed.
    Diamonds arent even the most expenssive stones nor are they rare at all. A huge diamond doesnt impress me nearly as much as a huge clear ruby or emerald especialy. And not man made clear

No. You're still getting screwed into buying--at significant expense--rearranged graphite.

I mean...the damn things can be made out of peanut butter....

-Nate

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    No. You're still getting screwed into buying--at significant expense--rearranged graphite.

I mean...the damn things can be made out of peanut butter....

-Nate
    Yeah but if you are buying at actual market value instead of retail, that's not getting screwed.
    It's like the people who see jesus in their toast and then sell it on Ebay. (Its happened). Its just a :twocents: piece of toast with a image of burnt christ on it, until someone pays $10k for it.
    If I buy a diamond solitare ring for my wife for $3k wholesale which would cost $8k or more retail, and it can be resold again for $3k (or more) at a later date for upgrade (i dont mean retail upgrade) or just kept forever but retains its value, then that isnt getting ripped off.
    If you buy a stainless steel Rolex submariner 116610 at retail for $9k but they arent easy to get so supply is low and demand is high, and its selling on the secondary grey market for $10-11k then you've already made a good deal. Or better yet buy the new pepsi rolex GMT master II for 10k and on the secondary used market its selling for $20k, yep its happening right now. Yeah some people dont see the point in paying for compressed heated carbon (diamonds) and some dont see the point in paying tha much for a watch, but if it makes you happy that is number 1, and 2 if it still retains value or even gains value then you didnt get ripped off. You dont have to have friends in the business to buy at wholesale. Just research and dont walk into a chain jewelry store thinking you are getting a good deal because you never will on jewelry.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom