• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nate6512

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Fishers
    This is my first post in this section -- forgive me if there are some good threads out there already.

I'm thinking of starting to pick up some better knives, but I'm not sure where to start. A family member (who is into knives) recommended going somewhere where I could get my hands on some of the options (vs. internet browsing).

Is there somewhere on the north side of Indy where I can do some browsing and get ideas? I was out of town this weekend and unable to go to the 1500.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    You are about to receive 4000 replies to this thread saying to "talk to knife lady and Brad!!!", and I would agree with them.

You need to figure out a few things first
    -budget
    -intended use
    -fixed or folder

Nate6512

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Fishers
    You are about to receive 4000 replies to this thread saying to "talk to knife lady and Brad!!!", and I would agree with them.

You need to figure out a few things first
    -budget
    -intended use
    -fixed or folder

Thanks for the advice. Having spent only a small amount of time in this section, I had a feeling you were going to mention knife lady and Brad...

I'm probably looking to start in the $50-100 range (at least to start). Intended use is daily carry -- probably a folder with a clip.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Then I would say start with Benchmade and Spyderco.

-The Benchmade Griptillian is ridiculously popular, mostly comes in 154CM steel (good stuff), has a very strong lock, and comes in a variety of shapes, colors and sizes.

-The Spyderco Endura and Delica are probably the most common models. The Endura is the full size model, and Delica being the smaller. Both come in VG-10 (also good steel), feature a traditional lock back, and are very light and slim. I would suggest checking out there full flat grind models if you want something very sharp. Spyderco is very good about offering a more exotic steel line, and some very interesting designs from a large array of designers.

Kershaw is a good choice is you need to be a little more budget conscious.

Nate6512

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Fishers
    I'll have to check into those -- thanks.

Any good sites that are recommended here for learning purposes? Just reading your last post reminded me how much I have to learn (but I'm looking forward to it). Types of steel, styles, sharpening, etc...

DaKruiser

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    I'll have to check into those -- thanks.

Any good sites that are recommended here for learning purposes? Just reading your last post reminded me how much I have to learn (but I'm looking forward to it). Types of steel, styles, sharpening, etc...

Right here in the cutting edge! Read back, you will find all kinds of good info. :thumbsup:

Nate6512

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Fishers
    :lmfao: Yep, you will learn more than she will want you to! :spend:

Blade forums, has some good info.

Yeah, unfortunately I have started the process of building my first AR this year as well. I'm probably going to have to move slowly or risk her using one of those purchases on me.

Thanks again everyone.

Pizza The Hutt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2012
    Hamilton County
    Can't really go wrong with a Delica or Endura, especially with the wave feature.

As far as a reference website? I check out YouTube to check out the knives in action. It's not the same as having them in hand but fun to see other's opinions.

MadBomber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Brownsburg
    For a good folder with pocket clip, in your price range, I have two good choices for you.

1. Benchmade Griptillian

2. Kershaw Leek.

I own both and they're excellent pocket knives. Brad of Bradsknives is your best choice for both price and service. When you're ready for a fixed blade, Sheila the Knifelady will have you covered.

Nate6512

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Fishers
    Then I would say start with Benchmade and Spyderco.

-The Benchmade Griptillian is ridiculously popular, mostly comes in 154CM steel (good stuff), has a very strong lock, and comes in a variety of shapes, colors and sizes.

-The Spyderco Endura and Delica are probably the most common models. The Endura is the full size model, and Delica being the smaller. Both come in VG-10 (also good steel), feature a traditional lock back, and are very light and slim. I would suggest checking out there full flat grind models if you want something very sharp. Spyderco is very good about offering a more exotic steel line, and some very interesting designs from a large array of designers.

Kershaw is a good choice is you need to be a little more budget conscious.

For a good folder with pocket clip, in your price range, I have two good choices for you.

1. Benchmade Griptillian

2. Kershaw Leek.

I own both and they're excellent pocket knives. Brad of Bradsknives is your best choice for both price and service. When you're ready for a fixed blade, Sheila the Knifelady will have you covered.

So, what do you do when you like the looks of all of them? :)

This gives me a good start. Thanks again.

Dtrap

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I would reccomend starting out with a spyderco. They are great knives that will hold up to everyday use and last a lifetime. They are hard to beat for the price.

Nate6512

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Fishers
    Thanks, everyone, for your advice. Ended up going with the Delica. Very happy with it so far. (Thanks, Brad...)

Delica.jpg

Nate6512

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Fishers
    I realize this is an old thread. There was mention of "addiction". I don't know what you all are talking about.

Thanks, Brad, for the new ZT0350 in the mail today... :):

Top Bottom