• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Adamz04

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2012
    Fort wayne
    ive never got to extreme with prepping. I started out with 5-5gallon gas jugs w/stabil, lots of batteries, kerosene heater w/15 gal of kero, flashlights, generator, some extra food, lots of guns and ammo and i never really did much of anything else. I figure if it gets really bad someday ill group up with the family.

Mr. FiveseveN

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    North Central
    First I would decide what you are preparing for for. It is much more likely to experience the loss of an income, or natural disaster than an apocalypse.

What if your home burns to the ground or is leveled by a tornado? Do you have money set aside for insurance deductibles? A fire "proof" safe to protect your precious firearms? A place to stay while you house is being reconstructed?

In my opinion the best way to start preparing for the unforeseen is to save money (add up youmonthly bills and multiply by three). Start small and buy an extra box of ammo, extra canned goods, and other supplies when you can afford it. Even on a small budget you will be surprised how fast it adds up.

Oh, I almost forgot, buy guns. Lots of guns and ammo...:D

Kmcinnes

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Hendricks County
    Start with what you can, No need to go crazy and put yourself in the poor house. I would start by purchasing Two weeks of food for each member of your family, and add food from there. Figure out your water needs, and just keep building. You have to remember that you can only prep for a certain amount of time, eventually your preps are going to run out so skill sets are going to be very important. Learn to grow your own garden, can that food and your preps will increase pretty fast. Think outside the box, what are you going to do for heat, shelter, food, water, medicine etc. think in terms of threes, example you should be able to cook your food with three different methods, same with water purification, so on and so on. Its a lot to take on but once you start you wont believe the weight that you will have off your shoulders.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Also remember, just when you think your program is on track one of these guy's is going to post up something new and you are looking at re-doing everything. Usually BOB stuff but it is fun and never really stops.
    Food. Lots of dried and easily stored food. Browse these threads. It is all in here. What to buy, where to buy it, how best to store it and so on. Look through the sticky's and get some Ideas.
    Guns, do you shoot?? what do you shoot?? is it a survival piece or a toy?? Ammo. get stocked up and do it before we have another shortage. If Ohbummer gets back in, hang on. JMHO

Kmcinnes

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Hendricks County
    Also remember, just when you think your program is on track one of these guy's is going to post up something new and you are looking at re-doing everything. Usually BOB stuff but it is fun and never really stops.
    Food. Lots of dried and easily stored food. Browse these threads. It is all in here. What to buy, where to buy it, how best to store it and so on. Look through the sticky's and get some Ideas.
    Guns, do you shoot?? what do you shoot?? is it a survival piece or a toy?? Ammo. get stocked up and do it before we have another shortage. If Ohbummer gets back in, hang on. JMHO

I'm just worried about my dogs! Obama might try to eat them, and Mitt gonna strap them on the roof and go for a drive!

marcum man

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 20, 2012
    Bourbon
    Good stuff guys. Thanks for all the useful info, yes I do shoot I don't have a ton of guns. Have a 12 guage for deer and rabbit, a 22 for squirrel, and a 9mm for hd.

Tbald14

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2012
    To start off with to just make sure i have something i myself would get this
    http://www.amazon.com/Katadyn-Hiker...=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1335902697&sr=1-3

Once i have the money i plan to get this.... A bit of a step up.
    http://www.amazon.com/Katadyn-80136...UTF8&coliid=I1WUOEAFL6FJ2X&colid=LNCNGHXA53ZV

I recommend both of these WITH OUT personal experience but i have spent month researching in to them and have had several recommendations on both. Everything i have found say to have a filter with at least a .3 micron filter but .2 is a better bet in a SHTF type of situation in my opinion.

Top Bottom