• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    I am wanting to start prepping....( I know a little late to start now) I was just wanting some input on what you guys thought the most important things were. I saw the thread on bug out bags. But outside of going and immediately purchasing everything what would you do? Or even if there is a good thread you can point me to I would appreciate it.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Decide what you are prepping for, make a list of what you need, prioritize the list, and start the acquisition. Don't forget to put skills (and not just stuff) on the list. No sense in buying something you don't know how to use!

If you want to start with a BOB of sorts, look at the "sticky" up top of this section for some pretty darn good ideas from other folks.

If you are prepping your home, get familiar with the stuff you actually need and use, and then just start keeping more on hand. A couple of extra cans of food a week really adds up over time. Same with anything from toilet paper to toothpaste. Somewhere on here I read about "prepping" on $10 a week. Takes a while to see progress, you need to be creative, but it is still better than eating at McDonalds once on that $10.

Make a list of things that would really suck to go without (electricity, for instance), and decide how you want to deal with that problem for a day/week/month/more.

It is easy to be overwhelmed if you try to "prep" from nothing to everything, all at once. Instead, pick one thing and nail it down. Then, move to the next.

Besides, it is never to late to start. Prepping isn't just having stuff. It is a mindset and a journey. Well, OK, if the zombies were banging at your door, THEN it would be a little late to start..... :D

tackdriver47371

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    Jay County
    Decide what you are prepping for, make a list of what you need, prioritize the list, and start the acquisition. Don't forget to put skills (and not just stuff) on the list. No sense in buying something you don't know how to use!

If you want to start with a BOB of sorts, look at the "sticky" up top of this section for some pretty darn good ideas from other folks.

If you are prepping your home, get familiar with the stuff you actually need and use, and then just start keeping more on hand. A couple of extra cans of food a week really adds up over time. Same with anything from toilet paper to toothpaste. Somewhere on here I read about "prepping" on $10 a week. Takes a while to see progress, you need to be creative, but it is still better than eating at McDonalds once on that $10.

Make a list of things that would really suck to go without (electricity, for instance), and decide how you want to deal with that problem for a day/week/month/more.

It is easy to be overwhelmed if you try to "prep" from nothing to everything, all at once. Instead, pick one thing and nail it down. Then, move to the next.

Besides, it is never to late to start. Prepping isn't just having stuff. It is a mindset and a journey. Well, OK, if the zombies were banging at your door, THEN it would be a little late to start..... :D

X2

We have our bug out bags set for 3 days of refuge. Food, Water Kits, and of course tactical gear. So that covers us to get with family on horse back if needed. Its 80 miles to our refuge point. Thats a pretty good 3 day ride for a family of four. And Pray to GOD that we never need them.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Why is it too late?

It's never too late to become better prepared than you are now. The key is don't panic and think you have to do it all at once. It's a lifestyle, not something you can rush out and buy at the last minute. Several folks have already given you good starting points. Just DO IT.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Just plan for 1 week in your home on an extended low effort picnic. Start with what you know.

Thick paper plates, plastic cups, and a big box of heavy clear plastic utensils. No water wasted on washing, no trash build up, burn as you go.

Now, what would you put on this plates for 21 meals?

How much water do you need?

Oatmeal, hot chocolate, tuna, powerbars, soup, canned veggies

You can live without central air and heat but not water.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Thanks for the tips guys. I guess I said too late because so much panic firearm and ammo buying but in all reality that is just a small part. I guess I should start with figuring out 7 days of food and water. While staying at the house also, should look at bug out situations, main worry is 7 days no power which could be a real possibility.

TK312

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Cicero
    Eldirector, you stated, know what you are prepping for. Is it more important to prep for a specific type of disaster or should I try to prepare for a few different scenarios?

Not trying to thread steal, but I wanted to keep this conversation going since its about a topic I am interested in.

djl02

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Indiana
    Food,water,sleeping bags,for a start.
    I picked up some -5 degree bags from Camping world for around 80 bucks last year. nice bags.

10-32

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    B-Burg
    Eldirector, you stated, know what you are prepping for. Is it more important to prep for a specific type of disaster or should I try to prepare for a few different scenarios?

Not trying to thread steal, but I wanted to keep this conversation going since its about a topic I am interested in.

I can't say for sure I know what Eldirector is prepping for but I've say start with the most likely to happen for your area.

First, I'd start with the possibility of being snowed in since it's the winter months. Then I'd look at flooding depending on where you live. Next is the possibility of a tornado. Again, depending on where you live, look at the possibility of a civil unrest and how it's likely affect you. Living out in B.F.E. a short term civil unrest my not bother you to much but if you live downtown, I'd plan a few different ways to get out of town and have somewhere lined up to stay.

10-32

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    B-Burg
    Thanks for the tips guys. I guess I said too late because so much panic firearm and ammo buying but in all reality that is just a small part. I guess I should start with figuring out 7 days of food and water. While staying at the house also, should look at bug out situations, main worry is 7 days no power which could be a real possibility.

It just depends on what firearms you're looking for. 12 gauge, .45, and 30-06 along with ammo for them can still be found in most of the places I shop. I know 45 and 30-06 cost a little more but if you really think you need it......

Boba

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2013
    Wow. Great question. Where to start... preparedness and survival is first and foremost MENTAL; its not solely about "stuff."

What are you & what should you prepare for? What kind of disaster? I recommend starting with your person & build out from there. If your neighbor loses his job or his house burns down in a fire, it's not the end of the world as you know it (TEOTWAYKI) but if YOU lose your job or YOUR house burns down it certainly is TEOTWAYKI for you personally.

These personal disasters are much more probable than total societal breakdown - WROL - The UN invading - zombie apocalypse - global pandemic, etc. Although they're not necessarily impossible, they are a much lower probability than a personal disaster or tragedy.

Prep for personal disaster first.

Consider the basic needs of survival, like when you're camping. Shelter, Food, Water, Fire, Security & lets add sanitation.

Shelter... is your house or property paid for? Do you have somewhere to go if it was suddenly taken from you (by fire, natural disaster, the bank... etc). How can you safe guard your house from disaster if you haven't already? Instead of prepping for if your house burns down, why not take steps to help keep your house from burning down in the first place. How many fire extinguishers do you have and where?

Food... there's plenty of advice on storing food around here I'm sure. set small goals and gradually increase. Start with TWO weeks worth of food as a goal. Make lists of what you & your family eat. "Eat what you store & store what you eat." COPY CAN, bit by bit, week by week and rotate it. Once you have two weeks of food for every mouth in our household. Then set your new goal for a month. Better yet, grow a garden! Even if it's just a few container plants, start now. Too cold out to plant? Build a raised bed for when it IS time to plant. Knowing you can feed your self & your loved ones in any capacity in a crisis is invaluable.

Water... how much water does your household consume? Drinking, cooking, cleaning, bathing, flushing? Start storing water & invest in a quality water filtration system. This can be done on the cheap easily. There's plenty how to info out there.

Fire... this equates to energy; YOUR energy needs. Concerned with no power for week or more? Think about a generator. If you don't have one, or hundreds of dollars to buy one, I 'll bet you already DO have one. It's probably parked in your driveway. Get an 800 watt inverter for your vehicle. With proper extension cords & fuel reserves, this will ensure you can temporarily power the things you need to subsist in an emergency blackout. A small space heater in the winter to warm a room in the house, minimal lighting perhaps, a fan in the summer, an ice maker to keep things cool in a cooler since ice is more efficient at keeping things cool than using cold air to refrigerate or freeze things. Always keep your vehicle topped off & store fuel. Then later you may consider adding a back up battery system.

Security... If you're on INGO, you probably have this one covered; I hope. Lock your doors. Increase your situational awareness, & encourage your family & loved ones to increase there situational awareness. Get training. More training, and not just firearms training; how about emergency first aid & cpr training.

Sanitation... the biggest killer in most widespread disaster scenarios aside from the immediate disaster itself generally stems from disease or infection fomented by lack of access to proper sanitation. Something to consider.

Really a broad & tough question to answer here. I hope I've provided food for thought. Check out this podcast for more insight, ideas & encouragement for your prepping. Welcome & good luck!

12 Planks of Modern Survivalism | The Survival Podcast

:twocents:

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I can't say for sure I know what Eldirector is prepping for but I've say start with the most likely to happen for your area.

First, I'd start with the possibility of being snowed in since it's the winter months. Then I'd look at flooding depending on where you live. Next is the possibility of a tornado. Again, depending on where you live, look at the possibility of a civil unrest and how it's likely affect you. Living out in B.F.E. a short term civil unrest my not bother you to much but if you live downtown, I'd plan a few different ways to get out of town and have somewhere lined up to stay.

What am I prepping for?
    - Personal economic hardship (loss of job, for example)
    - Weather events (ice storm, loss of power, hard to get out and about for a while)
    - Personal or localized disaster (house fire, tornado, etc...)
    - Larger scale economic disaster (depression, food/fuel shortages, rationing)
    - Larger scale societal collapse (riots, for instance)

Boba really hit the high points on how to cover these scenarios pretty well. For us, we looked at how to provide food, water, shelter, safety, and sanitation at a reasonable level for each. Made out lists, and started chipping away. For us, most involve "bugging in", so we have focused a lot of energy there. We are NO WHERE NEAR "prepared" for all of these, but we have a bit of a plan and goals, and continue to make progress.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Minimum 6 months of your salary in savings.
    Proper Health, Life, Disability, Property, Liability insurance coverage.
    A plan to reduce or eliminate your debt.

Then work on the above.

tackdriver47371

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    Jay County
    If we go into a shtf scenerio then what good is our currency in the bank? Not saying its not good to have cash set back. We are in the 6 month of bills in savings spot right now. However I question what good it may do if an economic downfall is the beginning of the shtf scenerio. What other means of "fundage" could a family have set back?

Top Bottom