Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    As others have mentioned, as long as you can safely handle a firearm and are aware of muzzle direction and trigger finger placement (keep your finger far away the trigger when sights are not on target), pick an event and plan to shoot it. There will be a new shooters orientation prior to the match where they will explain the rules and safety info. Also, let your safety officer know you are a new shooter. They are typically very helpful and will provide suggestions during the match.

For your first event, go slow, be safe, and get the required hits on every target. Don’t worry about time, it will come with experience. There are a lot of good shooters out there, but everyone has to start somewhere. Matches are a blast!

ETA: steel is a great measure of your fundamentals. I feel USPSA/IPSC hides this as you are typically shooting paper. Steel provides immediate feedback so you can tell if you got a hit or not.

Feedback from shooting should be coming from shot calling. If the ring of the steel is your feedback to move on to the next target you are never going to be in the hunt.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I have directed and run a few matches and I am still doing it. We have disqualified a few of new shooters this winter. Shooting matches is not like plinking or shooting in the back field. There are expectations and there are rules about safety and they cannot be compromised. If you are new to a shooting sport some initial training would be a real good idea. If that is not possible or you do not go that route. Get online and read the rules of the sport. Show up early and find the match director and talk things over with him. Most people only pay lip service to the four rules of gun safety. Matches expect those and a few other safety rules to be followed. It keeps people from getting shot.

Being a safe gun handler is a minimum and there are many versions of safe gun handler. Your version may not be up to snuff. I heard one guy telling a new shooter before the match that things are pretty much common sense. That is not true to a new shooter or a shooter new to the competition world. If you are the new shooter ask questions and seek assistance. If you do that it will be given. But you will have to ask. I am going to assume that an adult will ask for help if they need it. But that does not seem to be the reality.

There is a lot to absorb in Steel Challenge and USPSA and IDPA for new folks. It is a bit overwhelming. A four hour course or some private instruction could take years off you learning curve.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Still nailing down the date, but in April there will be a USPSA clinic in Fort Wayne to help new shooters get a jump start into the sport.
    Currently on our club calendar as the 13th, but will likely be the 27th.
    -rvb

Top Bottom