• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    The report says that the driver received a citation for not having a required logbook and numerous other motor carrier violations were noted on an inspection report.

This indicates to me that the driver and the vehicle were subject to DOT rules and regulations.

Last edited:

xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County
    The report says that the driver received a citation for not having a required logbook and numerous other motor carrier violations were noted on an inspection report.

This indicates to me that the driver and the vehicle were subject to DOT rules and regulations.

Yes, because he was transporting for a commercial purpose. I read about this a lot when I rented a similar truck to move interstate last year. While there is a bit of a gray area on a few things, box trucks for personal use only don't have to stop on a scale and don't have to follow any DOT rules (just normal traffic rules).

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    So this is common.
    Dude rents truck hauls stuff illegal or owns truck and runs illegal.

Ever noticed hotshot rigs with no DOT#'s lots of them on the road. I don't think a farmer has picked up 7 new bush hogs.

Also DOT busts overweight smaller trucks more than you think. Last time I had to go into a scale house a hotshot dude was weighing in at 62,000lbs. He was mad they wouldn't let him go.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    So this is common.

Ever noticed hotshot rigs with no DOT#'s lots of them on the road. I don't think a farmer has picked up 7 new bush hogs.

Also DOT busts overweight smaller trucks more than you think. Last time I had to go into a scale house a hotshot dude was weighing in at 62,000lbs. He was mad they wouldn't let him go.
    Why would a hotshot weighing 62k even think about pulling in the scales?

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    So this is common.

When I was still driving a truck I saw DOT cops on the side of the road doing a roadside inspection of hotshots and trucks just like the one in the OP quite frequently.

Mounty09

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    I drove from about an hour south of Nashville,TN to Indy on i65 that day and cops were out like crazy. Just south of Nashville I probably say 20+ cops with people pulled over. Some of them were being searched.

I saw this box truck just pasted the Seymour weigh station. The hood was open on the truck which made me believe that he was broken down and the cops stopped to help and that is when the found out. The back door was open and they were looking through the truck.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Obviously, all their scales are wrong, and this 62k hotshot was unlawfully detained! If it fits it ships!
    When I was working the shipping dock at a pork processor, I had the record for the most overweight trailer. Yeah it was right about 62k loaded onto the trailer, generally max was 42.5-43.5. Boss said ship it, he ain't going far. Previous record was about 50k, it was a "do not short no matter what" load that was going to FL. Driver said he knew the way around the weigh stations.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    When I was working the shipping dock at a pork processor, I had the record for the most overweight trailer. Yeah it was right about 62k loaded onto the trailer, generally max was 42.5-43.5. Boss said ship it, he ain't going far. Previous record was about 50k, it was a "do not short no matter what" load that was going to FL. Driver said he knew the way around the weigh stations.
    Not sure what the tare was, but thems sound like rookie numbers. If we’re not 90,000 + hauling to the elevator we let the grain cart driver know he can put more on. Hauled a few in at 110-111 this fall, that’s keeping it local though.

Going back over your numbers I guess you probably had that loaded to 100!

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Not sure what the tare was, but thems sound like rookie numbers. If we’re not 90,000 + hauling to the elevator we let the grain cart driver know he can put more on. Hauled a few in at 110-111 this fall, that’s keeping it local though.

Probably, but the one was local. Maybe 30 miles or so on the road. A 53ft refeer trailer average weight empty is about 15-16k so about 77-78k for the trailer on the one I loaded.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    "I've been from Tucson to Tucumcari
    Tehachapi to Tonapah
    Driven every kind of rig that's ever been made
    Driven the back roads
    So I wouldn't get weighed" -- Little Feat ;)

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle

My buddy that drove straight truck flatbed with me went to drive semis doing dedicated runs for a farmer. He trained him pulling the grain last fall, he’d text me an update every trip, most were 90, he had a couple over a 100. He said he was going to need a pry bar to let go of the seat after that trip :lmfao:

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    To all you folks running overweight...thanks for the potholes. It's good to know we can make your life easier by paying more in taxes to fix the roads.

A legally loaded semi has the impact of 200 cars on the road surface, illegal weight loads damage is far greater.

Trucking is essential to our lives and industry, it's too bad your selfish and doing it wrong.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    To all you folks running overweight...thanks for the potholes. It's good to know we can make your life easier by paying more in taxes to fix the roads.

A legally loaded semi has the impact of 200 cars on the road surface, illegal weight loads damage is far greater.

Trucking is essential to our lives and industry, it's too bad your selfish and doing it wrong.
    I’m not saying you’re wrong.
    I can only speak from my experience, and that is since the fairly rapid and widespread move from tractors and wagons to semis in many rural areas, the roads haven’t depreciated. A lot of my travels are on gravel roads which get graded, they’re no worse after harvest than before. Much of the rest is on county roads and they’re the same.

The roads in Michigan seem much better to me, and their weight limit has been higher for a long time, so I’m going to say it comes down to road craftsmanship. Some of it is inexcusable.

Some of the worst roads are the ones that don’t see any truck traffic besides delivery and trash, which are below legal. Goes back to craftsmanship.

Once again, just my observations.

Top Bottom