Where were you when the Challenger blew up?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    I don't actually remember being in school for some reason, but I remember watching it at home (may have been sick or a snow day).

Coincidentally, I came across these last night while cleaning the basement...

Teacherinspace-X2.jpg

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    At my desk at Tinker Air Force Base working out a deployment schedule, just thinking about going to lunch, when someone came in and said the Challenger blew up. Met up with three other lieutenants and we went to the officers club for lunch where they had a TV to watch the video.

Ok, that reminds me of another launch failure, not nearly as gruesome ("only" a satellite), off to the Military Stories thread... Edited to Add: I just realized that this launch failure also on 17 January (i.e. today's date). In 1997.

Last edited:

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    On my way home for lunch from Smith cabinet/child craft in Salem. That was about a week before I went in the Air Force.

307SD

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2016
    Down by the river.
    At that time I was leased to Foodliner, I was pulling a bulk tanker load of Urea pellets that I had picked up in south Georgia and was taking to New Jersey. I was probably in northern Virginia, on I 95 when it actually happened, heard about it on the radio as I was going around DC

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    On top of a factory. Working on process refrigeration system. Pager went off. Called the shop. Dispatcher said my wife needed me to call. She told me what had happened. Terrible day. Terrible week.

Old Dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana
    11:39 am EST 28 Jan 1986- Just sat down in a bar in Connersville, IN to partake of an early lunch. Watched the launch and disaster on live TV. Will never forget that image.

Super Bee

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I was in 5th grade? Did not see it happen live. Our class heard about it and our teacher turned on the TV about 10 minutes after it happened.

On a side note, I was just at Kennedy Space Center and they have the Atlantis on display. I had forgotten how small the "living " area was in the shuttle. Made for a cozy trip in space.

Top Bottom