Where would you shoot a bad guy in self defense?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    Let's all face the truth. We all try (TRY) to hit center mass. Unless you have been in the military, trained or have experienced this before you will have problems of hitting a target even at a short distance. We all have heard of stories of gunfights with numerous rounds being fired and no hits. We all will act differently. You do have to have a mindset to survive in this type of situation. Even the best might be suprised at their outcome.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Let's all face the truth. We all try (TRY) to hit center mass. Unless you have been in the military, trained or have experienced this before you will have problems of hitting a target even at a short distance. We all have heard of stories of gunfights with numerous rounds being fired and no hits. We all will act differently. You do have to have a mindset to survive in this type of situation. Even the best might be suprised at their outcome.

I use the Artillery Method of Fire.
    Just walk them in a little closer with each shot...

abraham743

Marksman
    Rating - 98.1%
    51   1   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    Indy SS
    when saw your thread title my first thoughts were at the mall, in a gas station, or wherever I happened to be. lol it really depends on situation if your position or fact that you are armed are unknown by bg wait until high percentage center mass shot presents. if thats all out the window insert lead wherever you can get in him

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    I use the Artillery Method of Fire.
    Just walk them in a little closer with each shot...
    I love that theory. But I run into too many "wannabes".

Story (true). We had a shooting/robbery two summers ago. A guy in a smoke shop was being robbed (probably selling a little weed on the side). Three guys came in and grabbed him. They ended up trying to put him in the trunk of a get away car. The victim (?) started to fight. The boss decided to shoot him on the spot. He shot and killed the wrong guy. The victim got away. Once again true story.

Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I've responded before, but I'll do it again. Maybe it will be different this time.

My primary target area is high, center chest. Think mid-sternum to where the neck starts. A little high or low and you've still hit some good stuff.

Won't always have that available, though. I think Louis Awerbuck's advice is the best on this topic: aim for the center of the biggest piece of meat and bones that is available.

Regardless of where you aim, don't count on one or two shots accomplishing the task. You need to keep getting good, deep hits until the threat is no longer a threat (regardless of what that happens). It's probably a good idea to move your body a little here and there as well.

Again, for what it's worth, the "center of mass" of a human body is below the navel on most people. That's probably not the best aiming point, but if it's all that is available, use it.

Magnum

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 27, 2011
    North Indy
    After going through some training at mindset lab I got an accurate answer to this question. I recommend it to anyone, you get to see what you would instinctively do. You will certainly surprise yourself, I can say that.

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    I'm not going to read all 43 pages.

But the correct answer to the OP's question is "in the toodles".

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdDj0Syzrn8[/ame]

Cheapdiesel

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    So I'm curious. You're in a situation where you have to defend yourself. Either in your home, on the street, wherever. You pull out your gun, and you shoot the bad guy. Where do you aim for? Do you aim for the head, and take him down with one shot? Or would you aim for the chest, knowing that if you aim high or low, you still get him? You aim for the head, theres a good chance you'll miss, by aiming too low, high, left, right...
    Just curious on other people's thoughts.

Me, I'd aim for the chest. Bigger target. Or I may decide to get a little fancy and aim for his Eggroll. Making him sing falsetto for a very long time :D
    center mass

Cheapdiesel

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Again, for what it's worth, the "center of mass" of a human body is below the navel on most people. That's probably not the best aiming point, but if it's all that is available, use it.

That is the center of gravity Not the "center of mass"

newtothis

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 28, 2011
    Pneumothorax.... er, Breastbone or potential lung shot.

That question also opens the options of upper-middle collarbone for the cervical artery, liver, or a round through the eye. Either one of those is a lethal shot. Artery shot is a kill within a about minute; Liver shot is one that would cause them to drop their weapon and die if medical attention was not immediately sought (although sepsis is a real possibility); Eye shot would leave them dead before they hit the ground (atleast in most situations).

I train for the 2-1 (two center mass shots, one head shot).

I hope that I never have to use such force, but I would not hesitate the use of it.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    That is the center of gravity Not the "center of mass"

Seriously?

I was specifically referring to the center of mass of a human body. In a uniform gravitational field (like where we live), the center of mass and center of gravity coincide at the same point.

I raise this issue because a majority of people say they will shoot "the center of mass." If they are actually going to shoot the center of mass in a human, it will be in the lower abdomen, not the upper chest.

Top Bottom