• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • drgnrobo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    ft. wayne
    So me & my wife were in bed last night & we heard a odd thumping noise coming from outside.I at first thought it was someone knocking at a neighbors door but it was continuous and getting louder.I got up to look down the street ( armed of course) & seen a man kicking my neighbors car on the door & driver side window yelling "Wheres My Money B***h". Well I called FWPD & gave a description of the guy ,vehicle & woman driving and they responded to the scene. After they arrived my neighbor that must have owed the money came out & told the police what he was doing & started a heated argument with the suspect.My neighbor was very pissed and letting the suspect know that the money was gone & had no intention of returning it but in a weird turn of events ,my neighbor was arrested ( I guess for being the loudest of the 2)& the suspect & girlfriend was let go???? so I guess my question would be could I have detained the man doing all the kicking & screaming legally or was calling 911 the best option & let the police sort it out ?? Going to talk to my neighbor to get the full story at least his side of it. Also wondering what are my rights if this was being done to one of my vehicles on my property( know what I would probably do but appreciate everyones opinions)

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    I think you did the right thing. No felony was being committed (at least I don't think so) and nobody's life was in danger.
    Just because you can get directly involved doesn't mean you should.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    My opinion:

If you want to detain people, then get a job as a police officer. I'm not at all trying to be snarky or get a "dig" in at you with this, but I'm afraid that it might seem that way.

A disturbance at another home; one that's not causing anyone any physical harm or threat of it is probably not going to warrant MY involvement any more than a phone call to the local constabulary.

-J-

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    You did the right thing by not becoming involved, and by calling the police.

I would actually recommend the same course of action if the guy was on YOUR driveway kicking YOUR car. No reason to shoot someone over minor property damage IMO.

drgnrobo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    ft. wayne
    I wouldnt draw my firearm unlesss I felt threatened & I dont get involved in other peoples business if I dont know the whole story, really think that if one was arrested or detained that both were at fault for disturbing the peace or whatever.Whenever I see suspicious behavior ( for lack of a better term) I call the police I have the desk sergeants no. for non 911 calls as well . I felt I did everything that a citizen could do but feel that something fell through the cracks on this call. If to do it over I would do the same thing, just getting opinions if I did all I could do & it seems I did.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    This sounds like a situation where you call the police and try to be a good witness. Photos or video would be handy but obviously not always possible.

Now if it were happening to my car in my driveway, I doubt I could stay inside an watch. I can't say this is the most prudent course of action but I would be outside with a shotgun. I would not aim at anyone unless given no other choice, but I would order them to the ground until police arrived. If they ran, I would revert back to just being a good witness.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    My opinion:

If you want to detain people, then get a job as a police officer. I'm not at all trying to be snarky or get a "dig" in at you with this, but I'm afraid that it might seem that way.

A disturbance at another home; one that's not causing anyone any physical harm or threat of it is probably not going to warrant MY involvement any more than a phone call to the local constabulary.

-J-

Exactly.

beevans

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Speedway
    This sounds like a situation where you call the police and try to be a good witness. Photos or video would be handy but obviously not always possible.

Now if it were happening to my car in my driveway, I doubt I could stay inside an watch. I can't say this is the most prudent course of action but I would be outside with a shotgun. I would not aim at anyone unless given no other choice, but I would order them to the ground until police arrived. If they ran, I would revert back to just being a good witness.

+1 on this course of action. Definitely not worth the risk of getting directly involved in the situation when no one's being attacked and you can be a semi-neutral 3rd party.

DesertDoc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2008
    Central Indiana
    You did the right thing, we don't know why your neighbor was arrested but it could have been something unrelated to the call the LEO reponded too, i.e. an outstanding warrant.

toddk

Plinker
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Lake / Porter Co
    Sounds like you did the best thing possible, Just because we have guns doesn't mean that they are the best solution for every problem.

Just take mental notes, call the cops and tell them every thing you can. (As long as no one is in danger.)

drgnrobo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    ft. wayne
    The more I thought about this & taking into consideration the neighborhood I live in ,The neighbor could have owed for unpaid drugs,as far as that goes its up to the police & god to sort them out. A few months ago there was an incident where a broken hearted boyfriend shot up his ex girlfriends grandmas house 4 doors down from me( what it proved is beyond me).I wasnt home & the kid was caught later that day .Ive seen things escalate over nothing & diffuse just as quickly.

ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    You did the right thing man. My opinion mirrors that of most others here, let the cops do their job. No need to get involved unless you have to.

It's just too bad you no longer have that shotgun you sold me....may have come in handy....j/k :):

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    I think you did the right thing. No felony was being committed (at least I don't think so) and nobody's life was in danger.
    Just because you can get directly involved doesn't mean you should.

+1 to this. ^^^

If life were being threatened, I hope I'd jump in...if a car is being marred, I'd just as soon stay invisible.

rich8483

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Crown Point - Lake County
    they way you did handle this is the way it should have been handled including if it was your own car.

to use a weapon in defense of yourself or someone else, it should be a forcible felony, meaning a felony that is being committed directly against a person, not just property. home invasion or a carjacking (occupied car) fall under the castle doctrine.

but for example, if you see someone steeling an unoccupied car, even if its yours, or vandalism like in this case, you should be advised to stay at a distance and call 911.

if the situation escalates into a forcible felony, say you see someone taking your rims in the mall parking lot and then yell "stop doing that, im calling the police" if they then turn their attention towards you with a tire iron and are now a threat to personal injury, well, its now a forcible felony.

JDonhardt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    My opinion:

-J-

This.

Top Bottom