• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Started going to Texas in 1995. They talk about it but didn't do anything for many years. I asked about drilling and man-made lakes, they just shrugged.

Population growth and drought. No one does their homework until it is due.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I don't think so. I've read a more recent book on water rights and an older one on the dust bowl, but I don't think I've read that one.

From 1986, it's a good read about the history of water management and the players involved. Some of the stuff I remember from reading the papers as a kid, most is before my time going back to the turn of the century.

Bstarkey_46947

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2021
    Indiana
    Remember when Anderson, Muncie, Lafayette, Wabash, Logansport, and Marion were much busier in the 70s & 80s industrially (just to name a few)? Those industries were slowly ran out of town (or shut down) due to Clean Air Act and Clean Water Act restrictions and or compliance was too expensive. The industrial degreasers and solvents in the era (Trichlorethylene, Xylene, Toluene and the like) are coming back to haunt us. Global warming is real. (Note: I'm not a tree hugger).

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    The amount of water we're talking about between the four rivers combined is enormous, if it had all been redirected into flooding other areas I believe it would be very apparent.

Just had the thought that maybe this is a northern hemisphere problem so I checked on the Amazon river. Nope, it's at its lowest point in 120 years as well.
    Well much of it has been diverted. The effort to reclaim and remake wetlands(a few were newly created as well) and for general use(farms,drinking,ect).

loads of "green" wetland projects going on up and down the Mississippi river.

"To protect wetlands in the Mississippi River basin from pollution, destruction, or insufficient mitigation by engaging regulatory agencies" I think the later diverting river flow to a swamp that dried out 1000 years ago may play a role.

It is not a lack of water entering it(where it starts,though many rivers along the way have been diverted in part or fully for other uses). The lake at the head of the Mississippi hit a 10 year high earlier this year.

I am sure it is climate change though.

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    Living in CA in the '80s when the wife was in the Air Force, the environment movement had them letting much of the water go into the wetlands/oceans. Of course we were under water restrictions for home use. Had a "Water Police" force of retired guys driving around watching us. Had one stop because I had water on the sidewalk while washing my car. It was excessive in his eyes.
    Remember when a local tv station showed the gov't buildings sprinklers running while it was raining. Their answer was "We can't reprogram then". Really, there should be an OFF switch somewhere.

Gov't level stupidity at it's finest.

Don

Top Bottom