• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • blueboxer

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 15, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Well I made the classic mistake. I was all set on getting a 5" black S&W E-series rail gun...and then curiosity made me ask the clerk to get the fancy looking Sig Tac Ops Traditional out for me. Blast! Loved it. Frankly now I don't know which one I want. As I see it:

S&W: Pros = better customer service/custom shop, better extractor (via Hilton Yam's extractor test). I would eventually change the grips and add a magwell. Cons = see Sig.

Sig: Pros = better front strap checkering, my favorite grips, already has a magwell, comes with four mags, is cheaper (roughly $100-200 depending on where you shop). Cons = customer service that can be snobby, and an extractor that isn't perfect, although realistically it would seem to function fine in regular civilian round count use.

Help me out here people! Especially if you have had experience with either model. And please, no "get a Colt, get a Kimber, get a Dan Wesson" etc. I've narrowed it down to these two, and that's what it'll be.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    If it was me, I'd go with the Sig. You like the way it feels, and it'll do everything the S&W will do, but do it for less coin. Why spend more money, and then more money to swap parts, when you already like the Sig as presented?

There's soooo much information out there, sometimes its easy to become paralyzed from input overload. Whichever one is "better", is "better" by a hair's breadth. You really cannot make a wrong decision between those two.

blueboxer

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 15, 2012
    Indianapolis
    If it was me, I'd go with the Sig. You like the way it feels, and it'll do everything the S&W will do, but do it for less coin. Why spend more money, and then more money to swap parts, when you already like the Sig as presented?

There's soooo much information out there, sometimes its easy to become paralyzed from input overload. Whichever one is "better", is "better" by a hair's breadth. You really cannot make a wrong decision between those two.

Exactly where my brain started going as I held that Tac Ops I had previously written off in favor of the S&W. Just did NOT expect it to feel that good! And I do realize both will be great, neither one is a bad choice!

spyshot

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    Winchester/Union City
    don't have experience with s&w 1911's (i do like s&w) but sigs rock. just from my own observations, they seam to have much tighter tollerances than other 1911's in that price range.

also i had to send a sig pro in for service once. they turned it around fast and i have no complaints. and you mentioned the front strap checkering. that is a big plus in my book.

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    I recently got a Sig 1911 and the thing is awesome. I have the Sig Desert, and it has ran flawlessly, minus the loads I made that were too long, so no fault of the gun. I have about 400 rounds down the pipe and haven't seen any issues with extraction.

One thing I found out after getting it, is that they have a different slide design (more squared off sides) than the more traditional 1911's. So when ordering a custom holster be sure to specify that it is for a Sig (and the model), as some of the holsters designed for a traditional more rounded slide will not fit properly.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Sig: Pros = better front strap checkering, my favorite grips, already has a magwell, comes with four mags, is cheaper (roughly $100-200 depending on where you shop). Cons = customer service that can be snobby

Is this personal experience? I've only had to call Sig's customer service once and they very helpful, quick, and friendly.

blueboxer

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 15, 2012
    Indianapolis
    don't have experience with s&w 1911's (i do like s&w) but sigs rock. just from my own observations, they seam to have much tighter tollerances than other 1911's in that price range.

also i had to send a sig pro in for service once. they turned it around fast and i have no complaints. and you mentioned the front strap checkering. that is a big plus in my book.

the front strap checkering was superb. Executed much better, IMO than the SW. The SW has checkering that sort of bulges out from the front strap. Makes it feel a little thicker.

I recently got a Sig 1911 and the thing is awesome. I have the Sig Desert, and it has ran flawlessly, minus the loads I made that were too long, so no fault of the gun. I have about 400 rounds down the pipe and haven't seen any issues with extraction.

One thing I found out after getting it, is that they have a different slide design (more squared off sides) than the more traditional 1911's. So when ordering a custom holster be sure to specify that it is for a Sig (and the model), as some of the holsters designed for a traditional more rounded slide will not fit properly.

Yeah I noticed that squared profile as well. I'll be getting the Traditonal rounded model cause I'm partial to the looks, but also because of the holster fit issues you mentioned.

No springer loaded/ro in the running.

Yep. No rail, so as much as I like them im not cross shopping them.

Is this personal experience? I've only had to call Sig's customer service once and they very helpful, quick, and friendly.

Not my own, but a few friends have had both great and poor experiences. I'm not saying that Sig's customer service is terrible, just that it seems it's a bit below SA and SW.

LD36

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Bloomington, IN
    I really love my Sig 1911 Scorpion, but having held a S&W (dont recall the model), I'd probably trade it.... I don't know... It would be tough...

Last edited:

Faine

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Indy (South Side)
    SigSaur Tac Ops TB was my first handgun purchase and I've never regretted it. My only advice would be to run hot ammo through it for your first few hundred rounds and really give that spring a workout.

blueboxer

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 15, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Hmm, interesting replies all around. Sig's always seem to get a lot of love! Does anyone own both a Sig and an S&W who could compare them? Fit, finish, how smooth they are, etc?

mshogren

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Nov 20, 2010
    Arcadia
    Had both. Held various versions of both as well. Was set on getting a S&W Pro compact as my most recent purchase but got a Sig instead since it had more "options" for less money. Otherwise, quality seemed equal.

Mark

blueboxer

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 15, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Had both. Held various versions of both as well. Was set on getting a S&W Pro compact as my most recent purchase but got a Sig instead since it had more "options" for less money. Otherwise, quality seemed equal.

Mark

Thanks for the opinion. I've been finding the same as well, Sigs seem to have an incredible feature set for the coin.

deo62

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Peru
    sig

I was like you, traditional 1911 or sig tacops. Gave in and got the sig yesterday, haven't regretted it yet. They are right about them being very tight,very slick. Ate everything I've put in so far. Very accurate, and the 4 mags are a great plus.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    If it runs well out of box, whichever feels best.

If it has any issues, then S&W would be who I would VASTLY prefer to deal with. I LOVE my Sigs but have grown to despise the Exeter customer service due to personal experience. I've gotten lucky with them before but have also been frustrated with denials/lies/procrastination more often than I've been happy.

blueboxer

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 15, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I was like you, traditional 1911 or sig tacops. Gave in and got the sig yesterday, haven't regretted it yet. They are right about them being very tight,very slick. Ate everything I've put in so far. Very accurate, and the 4 mags are a great plus.

Very nice. Did you get the Sig profile slide? I've been looking at the Sig traditional slide myself, but both are awesome. Mind sharing price/shop that had it?

If it runs well out of box, whichever feels best.

If it has any issues, then S&W would be who I would VASTLY prefer to deal with. I LOVE my Sigs but have grown to despise the Exeter customer service due to personal experience. I've gotten lucky with them before but have also been frustrated with denials/lies/procrastination more often than I've been happy.

See personally I've never owned a Sig/dealt with them, but have heard stories like this about Sig...and not about SW. Makes me wonder. I know both guns are great, but since the 1911 can develop issues and since each gun is sort of an individual, solid customer service is a big consideration for me. Good to hear your input, although Im leaning towards the Sig for features and price point anyway.

Top Bottom